HbA1c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done Janine!

I got my HbA1c results this week as well. I was 10.8% when diagnosed at the beginning of Jan - and result on Wednesday was 6.5%. My doctor was pleased and I was so happy! Told friends and family and although they understood I'd had a good result, I don't think they really understood why I was boucing around with a stupid grin on my face because of it....!!

That's excellent Ali_P! Really shows how well you've done since diagnosis - whatever you're doing, you're doing it right!🙂

Hi again Janine19 and Ali_P,

The forum has a 5% Club, why not start a new thread as the 6% Club to reflect your achievements?

It could give others something to aspire to.

Best Wishes - John

Hi again Janine19 and Ali_P,

The forum has a 5% Club, why not start a new thread as the 6% Club to reflect your achievements?

It could give others something to aspire to.

Best Wishes - John

I'll join you in the 6% club, got kicked out the 5% one a few months back

well done to all of you with great low figures, mine havent been below 8% since diagnosis, just over a year 😱, am trying though!!

Tracey,
Dont let it get you down - Alex is 8.2 -so your not on your own! It takes time and an awful lot of discipline and hard work and no doubt you are trying - it will come - just dont worry about it - that will increase your levels! lol. I dont really like the idea of a 5% club as i think it may put undue pressure on people -everyone is individual and perhaps it is harder for some people to achieve than others - i really dont think adding a competitive edge would be helpful to anyone. Bev

well done to all of you with great low figures, mine havent been below 8% since diagnosis, just over a year 😱, am trying though!!

Tracey, if you want to start the club just let me know where I sign up! x:D

Hi all,
Great you are all doing so well, I am a little confused I had my first HBA1C yesterday on diagnosis in january i was 12.5 % after the test yesterday i had come down to 6.6 %. I was over the moon but my DN stunned me by saying it was a little too Good !and has messed about with my insulin levels to get it up a bit to around 7 % Anybody else had this ? I am confussed because all seems to be going very well i dont suffer frequent hypo's and can normally predict what my levels are going to be give or take I am even back running with no problems up to 8 miles a time so do i take the attitude if it aint broke dont fix it !! or go with my Dn advice.
Many thanks
Dean

well done deano on the hbAc1 thats great compared to your 12.5 , i cant answer your Q but i do find that an amazing attitude your DN has , saying thats to good aint ever seen that before on here :confused:

well done deano on the hbAc1 thats great compared to your 12.5 , i cant answer your Q but i do find that an amazing attitude your DN has , saying thats to good aint ever seen that before on here :confused:
Same. My DSN said as close to 6% as possible so 6.6% is, you know, pretty decent. I think I saw somewhere that people who are at risk of hypos can be expected to have an HbA1c of around 7.5% but I'm sure Deano would have been told if this was the case.

Hi all,
Great you are all doing so well, I am a little confused I had my first HBA1C yesterday on diagnosis in january i was 12.5 % after the test yesterday i had come down to 6.6 %. I was over the moon but my DN stunned me by saying it was a little too Good !and has messed about with my insulin levels to get it up a bit to around 7 % Anybody else had this ? I am confussed because all seems to be going very well i dont suffer frequent hypo's and can normally predict what my levels are going to be give or take I am even back running with no problems up to 8 miles a time so do i take the attitude if it aint broke dont fix it !! or go with my Dn advice.
Many thanks
Dean

Dean - well done on the results! (and on the running!). I was 11.8% at diagnosis and came down to 6.7 for my first post-diagnosis test. This January I was 5.4%. I cannot imagine why the DSN thinks 6.6% is too good. You would expect it to come down a lot following diagnosis because you are now getting treatment. If your finger-prick levels are generally good, then I'd definitely agree that it's working and wouldn't mess with it. My DSN's reaction to my results was that they were excellent - perhaps she should meet up with yours and have a fight about it!😱:D

I know some DSNs do worry about results being 'too low' in case that is the result of too many hypos, but I'm surprised to see this being said at 6.6%, particularly as you say hypos aren't a problem. Sounds like a perfect result to me.

Thanks everyone thats put my mind at rest i think my DN was just being over careful so i will leave it be and just lower my insulin when i do my running like i am doing at the mo unless hypo's start becoming a problem. Hope you sort out your lantus problem Northerner, I have took your advice and am reading the "diabetic athletes handbook" ( the 2009 version of the diabetic athlete) its very good. In there it does sugest that if you are on small doses of lantus and are exercising to split it in 2.
Thanks again
Dean

thats a great result Deano. Diabetes UK sets a target of 6.5% so I see nothing wrong with your A1c, unless it was the result of a lot of lows, which it isn't in your case.
My DSN never seemed too comfortable with my A1c below 6% and is happier now it;s 6.3%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back