HbA1c

Status
Not open for further replies.

janine19

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys just wanted to share my good news. Went to see consultant today HbAc1 6.1%. Im so pleased and so was he!! Im walking around like a proud peacock now! I was so worried he would say something bad as its only 2nd time ive been. Go back in 4 months just hope I can keep it up.

Yipppeeee!!!!!
WELL DONE! That is amazing - tell us your secret! Alex was 12.6 on diagnosis and then 8.2 -3 months later - so we have a long way to go to get to your levels!:D Bev

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Wish mine was that low!

Bev, Alex's is better than mine which i at 8.7%

Tom H

Congratulations Janine.
A wonderful result; you must be really chuffed

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! well done! xx

Well done you!!!

I hope one day I too can be as lucky

Keep up the good work

Hazel

that is a fantastic result well done!

I think it's always nice to share with people who understand what it means. non-diabetics just can't get the excitement of a good A1c

well done janine im having mine next tuesday xx

can i just ask how long does it take to get results back on this test????

Last edited:
Hi Steff,

I usually get my results back within a couple of days but always within a week . I would imagine it depends on your area and what the service etc is like.

I have never had to wait very long for the bad news lol.

Regards.

well done janine im having mine next tuesday xx

can i just ask how long does it take to get results back on this test????

I think it depends what you are having done. If they are doing other tests, like cholesterol and liver function, then the blood would normally go off to a lab and take 3-5 days to get the results back to your GP or consultant (or at least, this is what happens with me). If it's purely an HbA1c test, I think this can be done 'on the spot'. In the US, I believe you can purchase home-testing kits for HbA1c, much in the same way as we use BG meters.

Mine is done at the diabetic clinic and the medic has the result by the time I see her; usually about 15 min later.
If other tests are needed, these are done at my GP practice who telephone me if any change in medication is required ( next day).

...In the US, I believe you can purchase home-testing kits for HbA1c, much in the same way as we use BG meters.

Having just done some research on this, it seems that you have to post off the sample you take (from a finger-prick) to a lab and then wait for them to get back to you, which seems to be normally 48 hours. I don't really see the point. If you're concerned, I would imagine your GP would order a test (if he/she thought it necessary), plus the kits are single-use and cost c.?17!

I think it's always nice to share with people who understand what it means. non-diabetics just can't get the excitement of a good A1c
That sounds like a comedy sketch just waiting to be written that! :D

Thanks everyone. You guys have all helped me though to get such a good result cos think I would have given up if it wasnt for the support on here. xxx

yeah tis just my hbA1c my first so fingers crossed all good x

Hi Steff,
Hope it all goes ok for you! Let us know how you get on please!:D Bev

Hi guys just wanted to share my good news. Went to see consultant today HbAc1 6.1%. Im so pleased and so was he!! Im walking around like a proud peacock now! I was so worried he would say something bad as its only 2nd time ive been. Go back in 4 months just hope I can keep it up.

Well done Janine!

My GP was over the moon when I got mine down to 6.8% - i.e. below his target of 7.0% - from what I understand he gets rewarded/paid by the NHS when HbA1c levels are below 7.5%!

However, from what I have read, levels below that were far more desirable if complications are to be avoided in the long term - so I aimed lower - and the last two were 5.7% and 5.5%.

I've changed my diet quite dramatically but without any difficulty as far as I am concerned and I've seen immediate results because of it.

Good luck with your efforts and keep shooting for lower!

Well done Janine!

I got my HbA1c results this week as well. I was 10.8% when diagnosed at the beginning of Jan - and result on Wednesday was 6.5%. My doctor was pleased and I was so happy! Told friends and family and although they understood I'd had a good result, I don't think they really understood why I was boucing around with a stupid grin on my face because of it....!!

Well done Janine!

I got my HbA1c results this week as well. I was 10.8% when diagnosed at the beginning of Jan - and result on Wednesday was 6.5%. My doctor was pleased and I was so happy! Told friends and family and although they understood I'd had a good result, I don't think they really understood why I was boucing around with a stupid grin on my face because of it....!!

Well done to you too Ali_P.

I understand the lack of understanding from the non-diabetic friends and family.

Keep up the good work because more could still be possible!

All the posters on this forum know that your HbA1c reading is of tremendous importance.

Best wishes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back