Hba1c

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have done well! We’re all different and everything’s relative…keep doing what you’re doing!
Thanks, @Varley Not as impressive as yours but still very happy with it nonetheless.

For some reason, my dietician/DN has agreed that I need to get my A1c up from 42 to 48 which I thought would be defeating the object of the exercise....Oh, and I need to eat more carbs as well.

Thanks, @Varley Not as impressive as yours but still very happy with it nonetheless.

For some reason, my dietician/DN has agreed that I need to get my A1c up from 42 to 48 which I thought would be defeating the object of the exercise....Oh, and I need to eat more carbs as well.
Perhaps you should ask the logic of that. Increasing your HbA1C to a level that would be diagnostic for diabetes when you have reduced it to pretty well normal doesn't make sense.
My diabetic nurse was delighted to see mine at 36mmol/mol.

Perhaps you should ask the logic of that. Increasing your HbA1C to a level that would be diagnostic for diabetes when you have reduced it to pretty well normal doesn't make sense.
My diabetic nurse was delighted to see mine at 36mmol/mol.

I think @Barrowman is on Gliclazide and of a more mature age when risk of hypos is of particular concern, so I think that will be the reasoning for raising the HbA1c although I think it would make more sense to reduce the Glic dose. However, he is getting really good results with the current dose and maybe halving it would upset the apple cart with his levels, so the suggestion of a few more carbs may be the best option. I guess it depends on whether weight is also an issue.

Thanks for your responses @Leadinglights and @rebrascora

And you could well be right Barbara - weight is the issue. Four years ago I was fourteen stone+, not obese but I felt I could do with losing a bit so I cut out all junk food, now I'm ten and a half stone, six foot tall and have a BMI of 19.8 they consider I'm underweight - hence being advised to eat more carbs.

Or that's what I think anyway.

Yippee!! Well done that really is something to be proud of, Metformin or no Metformin, as others have said - this result shows a huge amount of dedication on your part 🙂

Thanks for your responses @Leadinglights and @rebrascora

And you could well be right Barbara - weight is the issue. Four years ago I was fourteen stone+, not obese but I felt I could do with losing a bit so I cut out all junk food, now I'm ten and a half stone, six foot tall and have a BMI of 19.8 they consider I'm underweight - hence being advised to eat more carbs.

Or that's what I think anyway.
I think that a little more protein and/or fat would be a better way to put on a few pounds.
If you are at risk of hypos due to the dose of glic, then surely (if feasible) it is better to reduce the glic rather than to eat more carbs.
Personally I feel that increasing something which has caused you problems in the past, rather that adjusting the medication to match your lifestyle seems a bit like making yourself ill just so that you can take your medicine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back