Hba1c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varley

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just had results from my latest blood test - Hba1c has gone from 120 in April (at diagnosis), then to 65 in Jun, and now sits at 38! Needless to say I'm pretty pleased with this, and my diabetes nurse was stunned! I am still on Metformin so know this has helped get down to this level, but I have been put on a reduced maintenance dose now with a view to coming off of it. My B12 levels are low, so GP is talking about stopping Met to see if this helps, or maybe explore a different option (my guess is B12 injections). Diet change and exercise from day of diagnosis seems to be helping so will stick at what I'm doing. Just been contacted by Oviva about signing up to their Diabetes Support programme but not sure I'll gain much from it now...any advice on this?

Thanks.

Wow, well done! That's quite impressive.

Congratulations! Job well done.
If you feel confident about what you are doing and if you feel happy with the changes you've made and are happy to keep on exploring ways to keep your diet and lifestyle on track then if you don't fancy the support program then don't do it - I am very averse to anything involving 'coaching' and suchlike - the whole ethos around that sort of thing brings out the worst in me - but that's just me. I prefer to find things out for myself and it looks as though you are a pretty good self-starter too.

I didn't join in anything like that and I've kept things well on track for coming up for four years now and I am very happy to continue with just me, my continuing explorations/adventures with food and lifestyle choices and of course - the tons of good information and support on this forum.

Some people get on better with a structured support framework but I prefer to work out things to suit my own life rather than re-jig my life to suit someone else's framework.

Congratulations and well done you!! Amazing result 🙂

Fantastic result! Many congratulations. I hope you are suitably proud of yourself as that is an amazing achievement and don't let the Metformin rob you of any of the credit. It has a very minimal impact as I am sure you will find if your GP decides to stop it. Hope you get the low B12 sorted out one way or another as that will improve your sense of health and wellbeing too.
Wishing you well with your continued successful journey with diabetes and thanks for posting as I am sure it will inspire and give hope to others, particularly those newly diagnosed and feeling overwhelmed and scared as I imagine you were 6 months ago. It can be quite daunting at first but what you have achieved really shows what is possible.

I think you might find that you could teach the Oviva people a thing or two if you were to go on the course. Could be inspirational for others on the course to hear your story, as it is here, but from your own perspective I doubt you would gain anything from attending now that you have already pushed your HbA1c down to normal levels.

Just had results from my latest blood test - Hba1c has gone from 120 in April (at diagnosis), then to 65 in Jun, and now sits at 38! Needless to say I'm pretty pleased with this, and my diabetes nurse was stunned! I am still on Metformin so know this has helped get down to this level, but I have been put on a reduced maintenance dose now with a view to coming off of it. My B12 levels are low, so GP is talking about stopping Met to see if this helps, or maybe explore a different option (my guess is B12 injections). Diet change and exercise from day of diagnosis seems to be helping so will stick at what I'm doing. Just been contacted by Oviva about signing up to their Diabetes Support programme but not sure I'll gain much from it now...any advice on this?

Thanks.
You have done really well with whatever method you have done. The Oviva program looks as if it includes a low calorie shakes and soup meal replacement 12 week kick start for people with a BMI over 30 or a bit less if in some ethnic groups.
I assume there is also support to help people on their journey.
You may need oral B12 to see if that improves your B12 level but if it doesn't then 3 monthly injections would be the other option.

Congratulations.
Brilliant result!

My diabetes journey involved listening to everyone I could.
I guess it depends on whether or not you want to engage with others who may say different things to what you want to hear.
I chose to take any course I could, I reversed my diabetes, my diet is normal, but I'm still learning even now.

well done thats amazing, good work x

Quick update after follow-up GP appointment...I am now completely off Metformin. I'm so chuffed with this as I never wanted to be on it long term, just wasn't expecting to come off it in less than 6 months! With the low B12, they suspect it's caused by the Met and because it's borderline no injections required, will just be checked again in 3 months when I next have bloods taken.

So pleased for you! Well done!

Congratulations.

And I thought I had done well coming down from 89 to 42 in five months.

Congratulations.

And I thought I had done well coming down from 89 to 42 in five months.
You and Varley have both done well! And all of us should thank you and everyone who manages to wrestle Type 2 into submission. For most people it will be hard work, at least initially-- but you are doing a real public service.

As you probably know, but in case any readers don't: Dealing with Type 2 is one of the single greatest burdens on the NHS. Type 2 medications alone cost the NHS £686 million in 2021 (as opposed to £353 million for insulin), and this cost has been steadily rising in recent years: https://nhsbsa-opendata.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/pfd/pfd_annual_2020_21_v001.html . On top of that is the cost of complications, leading to a total cost of around £10 billion a year, around 10% of the whole NHS budget: https://www.england.nhs.uk/2022/03/...uts-chances-of-type-2-diabetes-for-thousands/

'Clapping for carers' was easy. What you're doing is hard and makes a real difference-- for you and for the NHS and giving hope and support to others with Type 2.

You and Varley have both done well! And all of us should thank you and everyone who manages to wrestle Type 2 into submission. For most people it will be hard work, at least initially-- but you are doing a real public service.

As you probably know, but in case any readers don't: Dealing with Type 2 is one of the single greatest burdens on the NHS. Type 2 medications alone cost the NHS £686 million in 2021 (as opposed to £353 million for insulin), and this cost has been steadily rising in recent years: https://nhsbsa-opendata.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/pfd/pfd_annual_2020_21_v001.html . On top of that is the cost of complications, leading to a total cost of around £10 billion a year, around 10% of the whole NHS budget: https://www.england.nhs.uk/2022/03/...uts-chances-of-type-2-diabetes-for-thousands/

'Clapping for carers' was easy. What you're doing is hard and makes a real difference-- for you and for the NHS and giving hope and support to others with Type 2.
Well - my 'education' team in 2017 advised the group that beans and potato was a good choice for lunch, along with other really wicked thigs so it is not surprising that people get the associated complications.
I saw one of the people who was on the course some time later, minus one foot and the other all bandaged and in a sort of rubber cradle. The NHS has improved in some places, but in others still spouts dangerous instructions on what to eat.

Brilliant well done xx

Thanks.
Hi , superb results

Quick update after follow-up GP appointment...I am now completely off Metformin. I'm so chuffed with this as I never wanted to be on it long term, just wasn't expecting to come off it in less than 6 months! With the low B12, they suspect it's caused by the Met and because it's borderline no injections required, will just be checked again in 3 months when I next have bloods taken.

Great to hear @Varley

Massive well done on your progress so far. Cracking stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back