hba1c testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
3a is mild to moderate, not severe until Stage 4.

3a is mild to moderate, not severe until Stage 4.
yes, I've seen 3b classed as moderate to severe tho (if my eGFR drops by 2 points I'm in that category). I guess it depends on how Boots views severity

At least they have identified people for whom the test will not be suitable.
The problem with those tests is the accuracy but it depends on whether they use a venous blood sample or just a finger prick sample which is capillary blood as they do vary and the result would likely be slightly different to the test done by the NHS if so. May only be a problem if people are borderline.
When I was in the earlier part of my diabetes journey, I used several of these tests (they are available singly and smaller boxes too).

I did 2 "calibrations", on the same days as hospital A1cs (blood draw, then fingerprick withing 5 minutes). My results were identical and +0.1% in each instance. Personally, I'll take that.

@Bruce Stephens, @Eddy Edson , @Docb
So if I didn't want to wait until next january for a bha1c, and I couldn't get a hba1c included in july when my kidney / cholesterol blood tests are done it should be valid enough to show if my diet and weight loss were moving my hba1c in the right direction?
Bearing in mind I have cdk stage 3a, and it said not suitable for those with severe kidney disease. Not sure what stage they would class as severe, but if it has similar accuracy to labs, I assume it would be similarly valid :confused:
There's also Monitor My Health. It is run out of the NHS labs in Exeter, so assured of lab standards.

When I was in the earlier part of my diabetes journey, I used several of these tests (they are available singly and smaller boxes too).
you bought them off that site? It talks of being for clinicians so seems to give the impression it's for medical people.
Thanks, I've bookmarked both just in case.

you bought them off that site? It talks of being for clinicians so seems to give the impression it's for medical people.
Thanks, I've bookmarked both just in case.
No. That was just the first link that came up. I actually bought from here. It’s very close to home, so I could collect if I wanted to.

I don't know anything about the machine that Boots use but when I went on the diabetes prevention course a few years ago they used a machine there which gave me a reading of 35. When the GP sent a test sent to the hospital labs it was 42. I was surprised. He did not seem interested in the result I had from diabetes prevention as he was only interested in what our hospital laboratory told him.

I did read here quite a while back now that someone had said that some of the machines they used on the prevention programmes were not accurate and a similar thing had happened to them so maybe that is why the GP was not terribly interested in my reading.

I don't know anything about the machine that Boots use but when I went on the diabetes prevention course a few years ago they used a machine there which gave me a reading of 35. When the GP sent a test sent to the hospital labs it was 42. I was surprised. He did not seem interested in the result I had from diabetes prevention as he was only interested in what our hospital laboratory told him.

I did read here quite a while back now that someone had said that some of the machines they used on the prevention programmes were not accurate and a similar thing had happened to them so maybe that is why the GP was not terribly interested in my reading.
Unless the test is done from a blood sample from your arm rather than a finger prick then it is unlikely that it will be anything other than and estimate based on extrapolating the concentration of glucose in your blood at that moment in time rather than the proper test looking at glycosylated red cells on an instrument costing thousands of pounds not one costing a few hundred.

Unless the test is done from a blood sample from your arm rather than a finger prick then it is unlikely that it will be anything other than and estimate based on extrapolating the concentration of glucose in your blood at that moment in time rather than the proper test looking at glycosylated red cells on an instrument costing thousands of pounds not one costing a few hundred.
Yes that is what I understand. It is good that Boots are doing this for those who want it and I thought of having another one before next year by going there. I am concerned though it might give me a "false sense of security" so may wait until GP does another via the hospital. It makes sense if the hospital equipment costs thousands rather than hundreds. I have asked my GP previously if I can have more than one hba1c a year (I am pre-diabetic) and was told no. I also mentioned it to the Diabetic Nurse this year and she said said GPs would not agree to it.

I did get my hba1c back to normal, albeit higher side, but, unfortunately, it has gone back to 42 so I am battling again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back