HbA1c result

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once (honest only once!) was dressed up to go see rocky horror show, in you know what, was on top deck of bus having a drink with mates, and saw one of the 'ard lads from school! I felt somewhat nervous!!

Why, was he winking at you?😱:D

S'okay to be in touch with your feminine side..

just don't let the woman in your life catch you trying out her undies... she might take things too far and expect you to do all the washing/ironing/cooking/cleaning and have no sympathy with you whatsoever when you're suffering from pmt....

Karina 😉😉

just don't let the woman in your life catch you trying out her undies... she might take things too far and expect you to do all the washing/ironing/cooking/cleaning and have no sympathy with you whatsoever when you're suffering from pmt....

Karina 😉😉

My dear, I'm single - I do all those things, apart from the pmt - but I do suffer from awful man-flu on occasions!😉

My dear, I'm single - I do all those things, apart from the pmt - but I do suffer from awful man-flu on occasions!😉

In that case sweetie, feel free to cross dress whenever you fancy. I'd offer you some of mine but bridget jones's type knickers - while extremely functional (you always have a parachute to hand in an emergency) - are unlikely to foster the same feminine feelings as the good old dental floss styled thongs...

:D:D

In that case sweetie, feel free to cross dress whenever you fancy. I'd offer you some of mine but bridget jones's type knickers - while extremely functional (you always have a parachute to hand in an emergency) - are unlikely to foster the same feminine feelings as the good old dental floss styled thongs...

:D

Oh dear, this thread seems to have degenerated - and it's my fault! Sorry Runner!😱:D Although she did join in, so maybe that's not so bad...😉

Getting back on subject....

My Hba thingy and other baseline tests such as weight, blood pressure and cholesterol were not done at diagnosis but were done a couple of weeks ago.
My first HbA1c result was 6.5% - is that good or bad? Cholesterol was 5.2 but apparently balance between good and bad was ok - she's giving me another 3 months to reduce it or put me on statins.. any suggestions would be helpful

Cheers

Karina :confused:

My Hba thingy and other baseline tests such as weight, blood pressure and cholesterol were not done at diagnosis but were done a couple of weeks ago.
My first HbA1c result was 6.5% - is that good or bad? Cholesterol was 5.2 but apparently balance between good and bad was ok - she's giving me another 3 months to reduce it or put me on statins.. any suggestions would be helpful

Cheers

Karina :confused:

6.5% is very good, especially in the early stages since diagnosis - that's pretty much the upper end of non-diabetic. As far as cholesterol is concerned, they like diabetics to be around 4, but non-diabetics at 5 so it's not too bad either. Exercise is a very good way to improve chol levels, so if you can fit in something regular and keep away from the sat fat in diet I think you should see some improvement. It's good that they like the split of good and bad - we do need cholesterol after all - it's actually essential!

Hi Karina,

You sound to be doing OK to say you are newly diagnosed.

Did you get your full set of readings? I always do that these days - I ask for a print out. Triglycerides is a more important number than most people give it credit for.

At this stage, I suggest that you just keep slowly working to get the numbers going downward HbA1c, TG, TC, LDL - all except for HDL which is better higher. Given that they think you ratio LDL/HDL is good then it sounds as though your HDL is high - i.e. good.

I suspect that your GP will be over the moon if you can keep your HbA1c less than 7.

Stick with it!

Best Wishes - John

Oh dear, this thread seems to have degenerated - and it's my fault! Sorry Runner!😱:D Although she did join in, so maybe that's not so bad...😉

Ha ha - just dropped in before bed - what's happened - it's all gone serious!

Karnia that's brilliant - I'm dead jealous - the results that is! (I'm with you on the Bridget Jones front - can't be doing with garroters!)

hahahhaah its the northe been on the creme eggs again!

6.5% is very good, especially in the early stages since diagnosis - that's pretty much the upper end of non-diabetic. As far as cholesterol is concerned, they like diabetics to be around 4, but non-diabetics at 5 so it's not too bad either. Exercise is a very good way to improve chol levels, so if you can fit in something regular and keep away from the sat fat in diet I think you should see some improvement. It's good that they like the split of good and bad - we do need cholesterol after all - it's actually essential!

I knew I should have gone to the gym tonight... I've been taking the dog for longer walks and really, really enjoying the fresh air along with the exercise.

About 10 years ago, I was determined to lose weight and get fit before I turned 40. I lost 9 stones (a whole person..) and was going to the gym for at least an hours cardio around 5 or 6 times a week. I ran 10k road races and completed a half marathon in 2 hours 10 mins including a detour for a toilet stop. Unfortunately I was also totally miserable, and the diet was not sustainable. 2 years later, I was on my way back to my starting weight.

This time round I refuse to 'diet'. I'm eating healthily, snacking on fruit and get some form of exercise either walking or at the gym most days. This way it's sustainable for me and I'm losing weight nice and slowly. I've lost 1.5 stones since mid November and I still eat out occasionally and enjoy the odd treat.

Hopefully this time I won't slide back - after all, it's not just my waistline that will suffer...

Karina 🙂

Oh - one other thing - what are the main sources of sat fat that I need to watch out for?

thats the way to do it...its a lifestyle now not a tempory blip xxx my gosh you have done sooooo well xxxxx big hugsssxxxx🙂

Ha ha - just dropped in before bed - what's happened - it's all gone serious!

Yeah sorry about that - you can take the lassie oot ah Glesga but ye cannae take Glesga oot ah the lassie... 😱

Karnia that's brilliant - I'm dead jealous - the results that is!!)

Is it not more difficult for a T1 to get that kind of control? At the moment I'm lucky enough not to have to deal with insulin - have nothing but admiration for those of you who do as I'm not sure I could cope with that..

(I'm with you on the Bridget Jones front - can't be doing with garroters!)

Nuff said!!!!!! Mental pictures.... Was on holiday at Gran Canaria at New Year. We walked along the beach and the number of portly, elderly men who were sporting thongs (at least I'm assuming they were thongs... ) was disturbing - especially when they bent over to retrieve things........ that's just nasty..... 😱

Karina

Hi Karina,

You sound to be doing OK to say you are newly diagnosed.

Did you get your full set of readings? I always do that these days - I ask for a print out. Triglycerides is a more important number than most people give it credit for.

At this stage, I suggest that you just keep slowly working to get the numbers going downward HbA1c, TG, TC, LDL - all except for HDL which is better higher. Given that they think you ratio LDL/HDL is good then it sounds as though your HDL is high - i.e. good.

I suspect that your GP will be over the moon if you can keep your HbA1c less than 7.

Stick with it!

Best Wishes - John

That's and excellent idea, I never thought to ask for a print out - I might just do that. Has anyone tried the Flora Pro Active spread? I'm using Bertolli light just now but wondering if the Flora stuff does actually lower cholesterol?

Karina

thats the way to do it...its a lifestyle now not a tempory blip xxx my gosh you have done sooooo well xxxxx big hugsssxxxx🙂

Aww shucks!! 😱😱

Yeah sorry about that - you can take the lassie oot ah Glesga but ye cannae take Glesga oot ah the lassie... 😱

Is it not more difficult for a T1 to get that kind of control? At the moment I'm lucky enough not to have to deal with insulin - have nothing but admiration for those of you who do as I'm not sure I could cope with that..

Nuff said!!!!!! Mental pictures.... Was on holiday at Gran Canaria at New Year. We walked along the beach and the number of portly, elderly men who were sporting thongs (at least I'm assuming they were thongs... ) was disturbing - especially when they bent over to retrieve things........ that's just nasty..... 😱

Karina

You have done amazingly well to gather up your conviction and loose that weight since November, especially over the Christmas period. I think you're absolutely right about doing what you enjoy - walking and making gradual life style changes and loosing weight slowly. There's loads of sat fat usually hidden in convenience foods. I read somewhere once that the firmer fat is on meat, the higher in sat fat. I tend not to use any spread unless I'm eating Marmite or having a treat of butter, but OH uses an olive oil spread. Don't know how they compare with lowering cholesterol. I chuck pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds (about 1/2 - 1 tsp each) which are supposed to do the same, on my porridge and cereal. As fior T1, should be easier for me because I can compensate any intake of carbs with the insulin, once I've got the balance right, but there are other factors which can make the old bs go up and down, ah well....

Anyhow, keep up the good work and enjoy life too! Hope your holiday wasn't totally ruined! :D

You have done amazingly well to gather up your conviction and loose that weight since November, especially over the Christmas period. I think you're absolutely right about doing what you enjoy - walking and making gradual life style changes and loosing weight slowly. There's loads of sat fat usually hidden in convenience foods. I read somewhere once that the firmer fat is on meat, the higher in sat fat. I tend not to use any spread unless I'm eating Marmite or having a treat of butter, but OH uses an olive oil spread. Don't know how they compare with lowering cholesterol. I chuck pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds (about 1/2 - 1 tsp each) which are supposed to do the same, on my porridge and cereal. As fior T1, should be easier for me because I can compensate any intake of carbs with the insulin, once I've got the balance right, but there are other factors which can make the old bs go up and down, ah well....

Anyhow, keep up the good work and enjoy life too! Hope your holiday wasn't totally ruined! :D

There was plenty of other images I had to try and forget on holiday - including the sight of elderly men and women at the naturist beaches letting it all hang out/down while standing at the waters edge staring poignantly out to sea.....

Thanks for the tip on the seeds - will buy some next time I'm at the shops and give them a try. Willing to try (almost) anything..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back