Hba1c question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
K's Hba1c was 16.7 at Dx in March and went down to 6.2 in July - no one suggested this was a bad thing :confused:

K's Hba1c was 16.7 at Dx in March and went down to 6.2 in July - no one suggested this was a bad thing :confused:

Its not a bad thing long term but i have attached the links in my previous post which advises what can happen with sudden drops in HBAIC. Examples noted can include pregnancy (like me and my example), T2 where there has been bad control for example and then stabilising better control (i.e going on insulin), pumpers etc. I don't know how old K is but i am sure at a younger age its not quite such an issue but it is something to be aware of. Granted its not fair as when you try and look after yourself it seems another blow is given...:(

Bernie

EDIT: Just noted on your signature how old your daughter is...I'm sure they will keep a check on everything in any case 🙂

Carolyn, are you sure that the 16.7 was a 1c result and not a GTT result? A GTT result is the level at that particular time, not an average of levels over the past 2 or 3 months. My GTT at diagnosis in June was over 17, but my 1c result which I got today was 6.5. Very similar to K's.

Brian

Dont know what GTT is but I quote from letter Ks consultant sent to her doctor (to tell him off for lack of dx :( )
'... at dx HbA1c was exceedingly high at 16.7% ...'

Well done for getting yours down - i fear K's wont be as good at her next test:(

Last edited:
The GTT or Glucose tolerance test, is when they take a fasting blood test, to see what the fasting glucose levels are. They then give you a glucose drink. Two hours later, they take bloods again and see what the glucose level is then. This shows how well or not, your system deals with blood sugars.

Brian

I think as your daughter Carolyn is T1 then this is normal i hate to say, as the HBA1C will be a lot higher. Ask anyone about theirs on dx (i don't know mine now as i was only 6 when dx) but i am sure that this will be the case as this is how i am sure it will be dx amongst other factors.

Bernie x

I think as your daughter Carolyn is T1 then this is normal i hate to say, as the HBA1C will be a lot higher. Ask anyone about theirs on dx (i don't know mine now as i was only 6 when dx) but i am sure that this will be the case as this is how i am sure it will be dx amongst other factors.

Bernie x

Mine was 11.8% at dx, with a meter reading of 37 mmol/l. I was 49 though, not a child! I think they are higher for children generally.

Hello novorapidboi.....I am no scientist on this front but the sudden drop in levels can increase the worsening of certain complications and Retinopathy is one of them...hence pregnancy can be a large reason for this worrying onset.

I have attached a link but don't want everyone to panic....i scare myself senseless and 'read too much'!

http://medweb.bham.ac.uk/easdec/retinopathyprogression.htm#typ

and re the sudden improvement:

http://medweb.bham.ac.uk/easdec/prevention/hba1c_and_retinopathy.htm#sudden

In answer to your question though, i cannot fully understand this quote but may answer your question??

"The hyper-perfused retina develops microvascular damage and becomes slightly ischaemic..but as soon as the glucose levels drops, perfusion drops, and the retina becomes even more ischaemic. This induces a rapid growth of new vessels"

Where's Tom when you need him??

Bernie xx

I'm here! Ischaemic means that there is no blood supply so the tissue is effectively dead and necrotic. First thing like that I saw at work was about two metres of small intestine. Basically as levels of glucose drop the movement of blood diminishes and more vessels grow to compensate for that.

I'm here! Ischaemic means that there is no blood supply so the tissue is effectively dead and necrotic. First thing like that I saw at work was about two metres of small intestine. Basically as levels of glucose drop the movement of blood diminishes and more vessels grow to compensate for that.

Thanks Tom, that makes sense to me 🙂 Diabetes is so contrary!

Thanks Tom, that makes sense to me 🙂 Diabetes is so contrary!

Yey Tom...double thanks to you Tom...makes more sense to me too...i was a little puzzled i have to admit and I thought "i know a man who can" lol 😉:D ... interpret of course!!

You are right too Northe..diabetes is soooooo contrary.

Bernie xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back