HbA1c levels

On the question of whether or not I consider I have an illness, I definitely do. I take it seriously and it affects my life on a continuous basis. I wouldn’t last long without my Insulin, so that’s not part of a healthy life. I can understand if others want to think about it in other ways, but if I think of my previous healthy life and my life now, it’s a big change.
I just looked up the definition of illness: "a disease or period of sickness affecting the body or mind."
If I didn't take insulin, I would certainly be ill. But while I take it, I am unaffected by my diabetes (apart from the few minutes a day it takes to measure my BG and give myself insulin). Insulin is just like food to me - if I didn't eat, I would be ill but with food, I am healthy.

I’m also wondering about the benefits of a pump as opposed to injections. A pump may well help smooth out the ups and downs.
I love my pump but that is because
- I have 12 years experience of injecting so not afraid of the pump failing
- My basal needs vary significantly throughout the day, especially when exercising
- I take small amounts of insulin and my bolus is often less than a unit (but half unit pens did not provide the flexibility I need).
However, it takes more effort to effectively use the features of a pump so I would not suggest it is easier than injecting.

I'd love to try a pump/HCL but the rather restrictive conditions applied by NICE mean I can't try one (HbA1c of 52 last time around fo I'm 6 away!) - Appreciate the large cost involved so I do get it - but it is frustrating - that said all the rest of the tech I have been supplied with has been superb, and helped me to keep the numbers where they are at present, as well as the education I've been given - I don't see my Diabetes as a disability or illness - just a condition that needs to be self-managed and if you have the right support you can achieve this (and as well as my terrific GP, and DSN, this forum has been an amazing help)

Back