Have you got a type 2 remission story that will help others? (CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I shared my story with you over two months ago but now realise that I have not even got an acknowledgement and certainly no further info. as to whether my story is acceptable or rejected. Any ideas when we will hear?
Hello @Swilko ,

I will contact Paula to ask.

Type 2 diabetes was once called ‘maturity onset’ because it was generally observed later in life, though that was changed many years ago as it became clear that age alone was not the dominant factor. Some forms of T2 are associated with overweight/obesity - particularly where there is a build-up of visceral fat around the organs in the abdomen.

It is possible to experience complications from diabetes at any time, but these can develop over time, so one reason for more older people might simply be increased diabetes duration with older age?

Diabetes in the DIRECT trial is defined as 2 or more HbA1c results below 48mmol/mol without the need for any diabetes medication.

If you are wondering whether you still need the medication you have been prescribed, you might want to discuss possible strategies for reducing or stopping it with your diabetes nurse?
Not so. Taylor in Direct defined 3 criteria for 'remission' - under 48 HbA1c, no anti high blood pressure medication and no anti-hyperglycemic medication. You phrase, ' diabetic drugs' is just too vague - there are no drugs to treat Type 2 Diabetes because the causes are not known.

Have you got a type 2 remission story that will help others?

At Diabetes UK, we want to provide lots more information and support for people about type 2 diabetes remission. In January 2024, we’ll be launching a brand-new type 2 remission section on our website to answer the key questions people have about remission. We're also adding a new type 2 remission course to our Learning Zone educational platform to support people with trying to go into remission.

We want to include stories from people with lived experience. We know that real life stories really help and inspire others. If you’re in type 2 remission, have been in remission, or are trying to go into it, we'd love to hear from you.

To find out more contact the lovely Paula Williams, our Stories Officer by emailing paula.williams@diabetes.org.uk

Alternatively you can share your story in this thread.

Josh DUK
Is Paula a Type 2 Diabetic ?

What’s DKA?
Diabetic Keto Acidosis. Only applicable to Type 1 Diabetics. Bad news.
Us Type 2s have even badder news our parallel with DKA is HONK now called HHS -Hyperglycemic hyperosmolar state. Coma induced by dehydration and high glucose levels. A particular problem for elderly T2s on onsulin in care homes.
What’s DKA?

Last edited:
I shared my story with you over two months ago but now realise that I have not even got an acknowledgement and certainly no further info. as to whether my story is acceptable or rejected. Any ideas when we will hear?
I only heard this week, she had a technical issue accessing my email so might be the same?

Diabetic Keto Acidosis. Only applicable to Type 1 Diabetics. Bad news.
Us Type 2s have even badder news our parallel with DKA is HONK now called HHS -Hyperglycemic hyperosmolar state. Coma induced by dehydration and high glucose levels. A particular problem for elderly T2s on onsulin in care homes.
I am type two and went into dka in June following gastrointestinal issues and am young on insulin.

Hello @Swilko ,

I will contact Paula to ask.
I hope you have had the opportunity in tracing my story. I am truly sorry for causing any problems with my controversial story but felt that it was important for me to share the data in a responsible manner. I do appreciate that the data would cause a stir as it seems to be at variance to several generally accepted concepts about diabetes but I do have copies of my medical records substantiating all the data.

I hope you have had the opportunity in tracing my story. I am truly sorry for causing any problems with my controversial story but felt that it was important for me to share the data in a responsible manner. I do appreciate that the data would cause a stir as it seems to be at variance to several generally accepted concepts about diabetes but I do have copies of my medical records substantiating all the data.
Hello @Swilko,

I think a few submissions went into her spam folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back