Has anyone put the heating on yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had a few log fires - trying to refrain from putting the central heating on yet! A has taken to wearing thermals under his uniform!:DBev

oh yes, my mum is working on getting us some logs so that we wont have to put the heating on again for a bit 🙂

That's part of my problem, my boiler is about 15 years old...:(

Have you had it checked out by the gas board. They did the other half's flat and did lots of little things like check for air in the radiators and the pressure in the boiler. (It's a combi).

If you don't want to heat up the walls get some cardboard and cover it with kitchen foil and put that behind the radiators. Heat will be reflected into the room and not heat up the walls.

Other ways to save money can be found at http://tinyurl.com/6l57c7

o.h wud never have it off it he had his way, we are total opposite if he is cold im warm and vice versa, and when im out and he knows ill be a while he always sneaks it on even it the place is like an oven

my youngest has a heart condition [coactation of the aorta]hope i spelt it right lol, she puts the heating on about mid aug lol ,like everyone on here i take blood thinners but when i feel the cold i just put on my fleece lol

I'm trying to put it off -it cost me a fortune last year! Never felt the cold like this in my pre-diagnosis days :(

I feel the cold more now, but had put it down to the fact I'd lost some weight. We have had the heating on a couple of times, and I have even used the fan heater in the bathroom a couple of times while having a bath.

Hopefully by the end of the month I will have a nice new gas combination boiler and our cetnral heating will be more efficient...

I can't remember the heating being off this year! not on for long though, an hour in the morning and night

I was so hot last night, I woke up boiling and sweating, thought I was hypo- just hot. Haven't had the heating on yet and hope not to for a little while, have adjusted to the english weather now.

A couple of years ago when we were really poor, we put the heating on less than 5 times the whole winter, just sat on sofa with a blanket, or got into bed early. Glad that we can now afford to have it on if we want but the boiler is 20 years old has broke a couple of times, but the landlord doesn't want to replace it.

I think one of the most difficult times for me was in my old flat in Sheffield. I only had a 3-bar electric heater, and the electric was run off a 10p meter. You could see the little wheel whistling round and the box to hold the money used to fill up really fast so I had to keep going next door to the landlord's to ask him to empty it (10 pence pieces used to be a lot bigger!). Problem was, he was being treated fro throat cancer, so you felt really bad about disturbing him or his wife. Eventually, they changed the meter to a 50p one which made things easier.

I've had it on quite a few times already. I'm dreading the bill now I've thought about it, cos I'm at home all day. Eep. Will try to be a bit more sensible.

We've lived in some freezing Victorian houses with ancient boilers too. I remember one new year we went to bed to about ten to try to get warm and both passed out long before midnight 🙂 And I moan that this house is impossible to heat - the living room is open plan with the stairs so all the heat goes upstairs. It ends up cold downstairs and too hot in the bedroom. When it gets really cold we've always just retreated to the kitchen cos once you've got the oven or whatever on it's toasty :D

Northerner - that reminds me of our first flat. Huge single glazed windows and two useless storage heaters. I found a really cheap fleece blanket and lived under that that winter.

Fudging heck it is brutally cold here. Winter has just arrived 15.12 precisely, Brixton.

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

I'm such a light weight...the heating is well and truly on!

I have always been a cold person and have had the heating on and off for a while now... Infact I put my wooly hat on this morning walking to the bus stop :D. I will probably feel the effects of the winter more now that I have lost 25lbs so far (still have a huge amount to loose)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back