Had enough of searching for bread , I give up

Taffyboyslim

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
That livlife is dreadful in my opinion and today went to three sainsburys here in South Wales to find out none of them stock hi lo which people on here say is OK

So I am going to eat LESS bread and when I eat it I will go for stuff like lidl low gi brown ........still carb high but I can't live my life like a inmate

Sandwiches with that sort of dense bread are so much more tasty than the sliced white rubbish ........and a few times a week is going to do me less harm than the endless chips , rice , Chinese, sausage in batter , crisps I have gorged on for 5 years

I completely understand your frustration @Taffyboyslim when it comes to buying bread...it can be so frustrating can't it?.I have two favourites...Jacksons brown wholemeal bloomer(only on sale in Waitrose but luckily for me there's three branches of Waitrose within easy reach)and Tescos seeded batch.The carb amount on both breads are pretty good and are very delicious breads in their own right.

Last edited:
I gave up looking for low carb bread. I just don't buy any bread at all now and do without. I will occasionally buy a sandwich, in fact I'm fancying a roast pork sandwich for lunch which will appear on a very white torpedo roll but I find bread also gives me stomach ache, so I may not bother 😉

Could you make your own? I do but I know not everyone would want to. It does not take long. I picked up a recipe which Mark Parrott put on a few years back with flaxseed and I found an almond flour bread recipe on a low carb site.

I have not had any bread of any sort since diagnosis, but I have to admit to half a slice of toast yesterday. Bread now I find to be yuck, suppose because not had any in and half years. Not missing it either to be honest.

I have eaten wholemeal bread, with or without seeds for years as I prefer the taste and texture. I have noticed that the majority of bead sold in supermarkets seems to be thick sliced or sometimes medium sliced. I cannot find thin sliced bread. This would help me manage by bg levels. Does anyone know where I could buy some?

I have eaten wholemeal bread, with or without seeds for years as I prefer the taste and texture. I have noticed that the majority of bead sold in supermarkets seems to be thick sliced or sometimes medium sliced. I cannot find thin sliced bread. This would help me manage by bg levels. Does anyone know where I could buy some?
You could always buy an unsliced loaf and with the aid of a good bread knife slice to whatever thickness you want.
My other half makes the bread and we slice thinly.

You could always buy an unsliced loaf and with the aid of a good bread knife slice to whatever thickness you want.
My other half makes the bread and we slice thinly.
My husband makes bread too but I couldn't slice it straight or thin if my life depended on it. I mostly toast it so needs to be even.:rofl:

Love bread/toast/pita/sub too much to give up. None of it seems any good for me so I've done the same, have it rarely and i'll buy the best tasting and enjoy it.

Have a nice loaf in the freezer, take out a slice between 1-2 times a week and toast it from frozen for breakfast on Friday or if I've done a homemade salsa/salad bruschetta or garlic bread I might buy a single small roll from lidl

Same with milk chocolate, I have it so little now if I do have some it'll just be whatever I enjoy.

It's not doing me any good but it keeps the binge eating the worst food and cravings at bay. I've had 2/3 bags of crisps in the last 3+ months which is really good for me.

I think decent wholemeal breed , seed , batch , cob ....whatever they call it ....tastes wonderful

Last night for tea I had a sandwich of lidl low gi batch bread , thinly sliced cheese , tomato , onion , ham , caeser salad dressing , salt and pepper

It was wonderful

Compare that to a Chinese, fish and chips , curry , burger and chips , kebab , bags of crisps , chocolate and all the other stuff I have been eating and the effect on my bg levels is very different

3 or 4 sandwiches like that a week are fine as far as I am concerned

I spend a lot of time in France and can enjoy real French bread, freshly baked in the local boulangerie, without any noticeable spikes. It could be flour isn't my personal kryptonite, but more and more I think it's down to the lack of dubious extra ingredients. Real French bread contains just flour, water, yeast, and salt - and if you don't eat it at breakfast the lack of preservatives means it's more suited to mopping up the white wine and cream which accompanies your lunchtime moules.

Since diagnosis I've been taking a lot more notice of ingredient lists and have come to suspect UPF, which has its origins in the laboratory rather than the kitchen, has a lot to answer for when it comes to the uptick in diabetes and increased weight.

At some point I'm going to test my bread theory with our local artisan bakery.

I think decent wholemeal breed , seed , batch , cob ....whatever they call it ....tastes wonderful

Last night for tea I had a sandwich of lidl low gi batch bread , thinly sliced cheese , tomato , onion , ham , caeser salad dressing , salt and pepper

It was wonderful

Compare that to a Chinese, fish and chips , curry , burger and chips , kebab , bags of crisps , chocolate and all the other stuff I have been eating and the effect on my bg levels is very different

I think you make a key point. It's not a case of 'good' foods versus 'bad' foods: it's a question of thinking about which foods are 'better' or 'worse' - and in what quantities. It's also important to think about one's psychological wellbeing, rather than eating nothing but lettuce and feeling miserable, or even risking slipping into disordered eating.

I spend a lot of time in France and can enjoy real French bread, freshly baked in the local boulangerie, without any noticeable spikes. It could be flour isn't my personal kryptonite, but more and more I think it's down to the lack of dubious extra ingredients. Real French bread contains just flour, water, yeast, and salt - and if you don't eat it at breakfast the lack of preservatives means it's more suited to mopping up the white wine and cream which accompanies your lunchtime moules.

Since diagnosis I've been taking a lot more notice of ingredient lists and have come to suspect UPF, which has its origins in the laboratory rather than the kitchen, has a lot to answer for when it comes to the uptick in diabetes and increased weight.

At some point I'm going to test my bread theory with our local artisan bakery.
a fellow allotmenteer has recently had very serious heart surgery. His surgeon told him to not touch any, no matter what high class establishment it came from, any UK loaf outside of artisan bakeries or home made...the ingredients can come from anywhere in the world and are pretty messed up for looks and longevity

I think there’s a lot of wisdom in reduced frequency of ‘better’ foods @Taffyboyslim

I have no idea whether there would be any measurable impact for you or other T2s, but I am another who now routinely freezes bread. It does seem to have made it easier to match with insulin doses without getting the occasional big BG spikes I used to see off and on in that charming “same food, same dose, same timing, different outcome” way T1 sometimes behaves.

I think you make a key point. It's not a case of 'good' foods versus 'bad' foods: it's a question of thinking about which foods are 'better' or 'worse' - and in what quantities. It's also important to think about one's psychological wellbeing, rather than eating nothing but lettuce and feeling miserable, or even risking slipping into disordered eating.

Great reply.

It was wonderful

I've been making my own bread for about 15 years now after being continually disappointed with the quality of commercially produced stuff. Even some of the more 'artisan' stuff left much to be desired. Since being 'pinged' as pre-diabetic I've been making 100% wholemeal bread and have finally hit on a recipe that makes a really good loaf that is excellent for sandwiches or toast and not as dense as a brick as some loaves are. I include sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, poppy seeds, whatever I fancy.
Some recipes for wholemeal bread include varying percentages of white flour, but mine works well using only 100% wholemeal flour. I make 2 loaves using 700g of flour each and that lasts me about 2 weeks.

I can't go without bread. I have Warburtons no added sugar wholemeal. Just two slices for breakfast as I have to eat some carbs to take glicazide.

Back