Had enough! Just can’t do this!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillrogers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Keep making stupid mistakes! One after another. Keep hitting hard spots cos I forget where they are and end up loosing insulin at injection. It’s doing my head in. Is there anything that can be done. Can’t do bum as can’t get to it properly and not enough on it anyway. So fed up. I’m never going to get this sorted.

Everyone makes mistakes @gillrogers You’re being too hard on yourself. Also, my blood sugar has been stubbornly high all afternoon even though I’ve corrected. My guess is the correction went into an area with poor absorption. Often these areas feel perfectly normal and you don’t realise it’s a crap area until you see the affect on your blood sugar. So don’t blame yourself x

Everyone makes mistakes @gillrogers You’re being too hard on yourself. Also, my blood sugar has been stubbornly high all afternoon even though I’ve corrected. My guess is the correction went into an area with poor absorption. Often these areas feel perfectly normal and you don’t realise it’s a crap area until you see the affect on your blood sugar. So don’t blame yourself x
It would be ok if I could just get in range for more than 7 hours a day. It’s hard enough battling my demons on my own over this damn hypo fear let alone constant daily mistakes.

It seems so unfair that adult diagnosis seems to be mostly throwing people in the water and hoping they don’t drown. Paeds diagnosis involves so much help and education and ongoing support that we get to outsource our brains when we get stuck.

It does sound like you’re being hard on yourself though. Being in target is the aim but it’s impossible to be perfect. If you can be in target for 7 hours a day that’s still great. Document your carbs and your doses etc and email your DSN to see if there’s anything obvious you can do to improve but please don’t lose heart.

It seems so unfair that adult diagnosis seems to be mostly throwing people in the water and hoping they don’t drown. Paeds diagnosis involves so much help and education and ongoing support that we get to outsource our brains when we get stuck.

It does sound like you’re being hard on yourself though. Being in target is the aim but it’s impossible to be perfect. If you can be in target for 7 hours a day that’s still great. Document your carbs and your doses etc and email your DSN to see if there’s anything obvious you can do to improve but please don’t lose heart.
Thank you, yes I document everything. Consultant tried to find me funding for a phsycolgist but we don’t have them in our trust . The NHS is funding my husband to have an operation on his shoulder done privately. They’re doing not, his but they won’t fund me a private phsycologist. ‍♀️

I know it perhaps sounds like a scary thing to do but if you allow yourself to have a hypo so you know to react and deal with it and it would be less problematic in the future. Obviously you would make sure there was someone there so you would keep yourself safe.
I was terrified of getting Covid and it really affected what we did but then actually getting it and dealing with it make me much less apprehensive and we pretty well resumed normal activities.

I know it perhaps sounds like a scary thing to do but if you allow yourself to have a hypo so you know to react and deal with it and it would be less problematic in the future. Obviously you would make sure there was someone there so you would keep yourself safe.
I was terrified of getting Covid and it really affected what we did but then actually getting it and dealing with it make me much less apprehensive and we pretty well resumed normal activities.
I’ve had hypos and they’ve terrified me because I felt like I was going to go. And it takes me 20 minutes go get the glucose going.I also had a friend who ended up brain damaged and disabled from one that went too far. I’m not very strong when it comes to health matters.

Last edited:

I wouldn’t recommend that. It’s hard to control how bad a hypo is and a bad hypo is horrible.

I’ve had hypos and they’ve terrified me because I felt like I was going to go. And it takes me 20 minutes go get the glucose going.I also had a friend who ended up brain damaged and disabled from one that went too far. I’m not very strong when it comes to health matters.

Rather than that, I suggest you gradually lower the number you’re happier at. If you’re happy in the 9s, then try to lower your ‘I’m ok’ level to the 8s. Do this gradually.

Sorry - had to stop to eat a pancake!

Then lower it to the 7s, etc. You should gradually feel less anxious at these levels. It takes time but it usually improves things.

Last edited:
Rather than that, I suggest you gradually lower the number you’re happier at. If you’re happy in the 9s, then try to lower your ‘I’m ok’ level to the 8s. Do this gradually.

Sorry - had to stop to eat a pancake!

Then lower it to the 7s, etc. You should gradually feel less anxious at these levels. It takes time but it usually improves things.
Thanks Inka, good idea

@gillrogers - Perhaps have a look at the Wren Project. I haven't used it, or know anyone who has, but it is for folks with autoimmune conditions, which obviously includes T1.

@gillrogers - Perhaps have a look at the Wren Project. I haven't used it, or know anyone who has, but it is for folks with autoimmune conditions, which obviously includes T1.

Thank you very much. I’ve self referred.

What a brill project! - I've not heard or seen it mentioned before. and gosh - is the Kate Middleton who is their founder, the same lady whose husband's surname is Wales - or someone else entirely who happens to have the same name? Intriguing!

What a brill project! - I've not heard or seen it mentioned before. and gosh - is the Kate Middleton who is their founder, the same lady whose husband's surname is Wales - or someone else entirely who happens to have the same name? Intriguing!
I don't know.

I literally bumped into them elsewhere - quite randomly, and stupidly hadn't made a bookmark. I only tripped over them again a few days ago. It seems a really worthwhile project. Of course, the amounts of AI conditions is quite large, but I'm pretty certain as well as common diagnosis there will be common threads around unpredictability and so on.

Needless to say, I have a bookmarked saved now

You're welcome Gill.

I would never want any detail, in terms of your sessions, but it would be good to hear how you find the overall process to be, once you've had a bit of experience in there.

It feels to me to be a much needed type of resource for many folks, living with long-term, often seemingly unremitting conditions.

Just ((((hugs)))) from me @gillrogers - Diabetes can certainly mess with your thinking, mood, and play on your mind. And glucose juggling is a relentless and thankless task.

Really hope the Wren project sessions give you some tools and strategies that help when your brain isn’t helping you.

But feel free to rant and let off steam any time. We get it.

You're welcome Gill.

I would never want any detail, in terms of your sessions, but it would be good to hear how you find the overall process to be, once you've had a bit of experience in there.

It feels to me to be a much needed type of resource for many folks, living with long-term, often seemingly unremitting conditions.
Sadly they cant help me. They rang me this morning. I need diabetic specific help . Thanks for the thought tough.

Just ((((hugs)))) from me @gillrogers - Diabetes can certainly mess with your thinking, mood, and play on your mind. And glucose juggling is a relentless and thankless task.

Really hope the Wren project sessions give you some tools and strategies that help when your brain isn’t helping you.

But feel free to rant and let off steam any time. We get it.
Sadly they cant gelp. Spoke to them this morning. Its litteralky i talk and they listen. They cant help or guide with anything medical specific.

What a shame @gillrogers

It sounded so promising. And it isn’t really diabetes-specific advice that you are needing I thought - more help and support around the emotional toll living with T1D is having on you :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back