Guess im looking for approval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you keeping the calories down because you need to lose weight? At a recent presentation I attended on managing T2 a GP said that in trials they found that patients on a low carb diet tended to lose more weight than those on a traditional low calorie diet, and they also showed a bigger drop in HbA1c..
Yes i am ive lost 12 pounds in a month which im
Quiet happy with even tho i know at the start u lose more

Strange, isn't it? Your HbA1c was 117 and you get put on Gliclazide, mine was 114 and I get put on Metformin. Once again there seems to be no consistency across the NHS (unless there are other factors that they into account in deciding which medication is most appropriate).
Ive ahd 28 different docs in ten years theres defo no consistancy .thats why mine didnt tell me at 47 mil i was at risk of diabetes

Then you have been misinformed by someone giving you old NHS advice.

All; carbohydrates are broken down by the digestive system into glucose which is then absorbed through the gut wall into your blood stream and as a diabetic, you then have difficulty removing and utilizing it. The idea with changing your diet to manage your diabetes is that you put less glucose in both from sugars and starchy carbs, to enable your body to cope better and levels not go so high.

To give you an idea of the impact of starchy carbs, 1 slice of medium wholemeal bread is about 15g of carbs. 3 teaspoons of sugar is about 15g carbs, so your average 2 slice sandwich has the same amount of carbs as about 6 spoons of sugar. And that is just the bread. Then potatoes and pasta and rice and breakfast cereal, can all be adding a lot of extra glucose to your system which it can't handle. I am not saying that you have to give up bread or potatoes or pasta altogether although some of us have, but reducing your portion size and bulking your plate up with lower carb veg will certainly have a big impact and may result in not only your HbA1c lowering further, but possibly your Gliclazide dose needing to be reduced or stopped altogether. This is the reason that you have to be careful with low carb eating when you are using Gliclazide, because it can drop your levels more effectively than the Gliclazide which can then mean you are overmedicated and your levels drop too low.
There are lower carb alternatives like mashed cauliflower which works well to replace mashed potato to have as bangers and mash or used to top a cottage pie with plenty of grated cheese .... or cauliflower can be grated and used as rice. Personally I have my bolognaise sauce served on a bed of broccoli or green beans and my curry is served on shredded cabbage. It probably sounds naff but actually it is really nice and tastier than rice by a long chalk. There are lots of other suggestions for lower carb alternatives like butternut squash instead of potatoes. Peel and cube and a serving cooks in the microwave with a knob of butter in 4 mins. What is not to love! You can also mash it and cook it off in the frying pan with fried onions and left over meat and maybe some cabbage and mushrooms and egg to make a bubble and squeak. I just had boiled ham with cauliflower cheese, butternut squash and leeks which were cooked in 3 mins in the microwave with a knob of butter and then a dollop of cream cheese stirred in to make them creamy.
Brilliant shame i hate veg with a passion .u sound very disciplind i hope i get use to it .im
Still bitter i wasnt warned a d the eating part os depressing

Strange, isn't it? Your HbA1c was 117 and you get put on Gliclazide, mine was 114 and I get put on Metformin. Once again there seems to be no consistency across the NHS (unless there are other factors that they into account in deciding which medication is most appropriate).
I find it really odd how the NHS think about medicating it. I was HbA1c 80 and the DN put me on Gliclazide and Metformin. She said that Gliclazide works quicker than Metformin so was putting me on both as Gliclazide would work quicker to get it under control and needed that as I was at a ‘high’ BG (but nothing in comparison to you). Strange.

Tha ks
Why is low carb on gliclazide no good?
I have a meter but ive given up stabbing myself as cant deaw blood and cant see the benefit .just concentrating on gym and eating better .i dont get the blood testing its too late to do anything if bloods have shot up isnt it
Gliclazide promotes the excretion of glucose,

edit - that should be secretion of insulin - got a head full of cotton wool today due to a code in der node - I just made the worst ever batch of Yorkshire puddings for dinner.

so if you aren't careful about how you eat over the day then you could go hypo. You really need to check your blood glucose levels before driving - assuming you do drive.
The reason to test is to get feed back on the meal - so you can adjust for the next time.
I am using diet only, so I eat under 40 gm of carbs a day in order to keep in normal numbers - but I found out that I was pushed to eat high carb foods for at least a decade before getting a diagnosis, and no one mentioned the + signs on the blood test record, so I suspect that I've been running hot for a very long time.

Last edited:
Gliclazide promotes the excretion of glucose, so if you aren't careful about how you eat over the day then you could go hypo.
Drummer, I think you might want to amend that sentence as I am sure you meant to say Gliclazide promotes the secretion of insulin, not excretion of glucose.... unless you were thinking of Dapagliflozin.

Drummer, I think you might want to amend that sentence as I am sure you meant to say Gliclazide promotes the secretion of insulin, not excretion of glucose.... unless you were thinking of Dapagliflozin.
Duh - yes - there was a blip there - maybe glic and gluc become entangled somehow.

I find it really odd how the NHS think about medicating it. I was HbA1c 80 and the DN put me on Gliclazide and Metformin. She said that Gliclazide works quicker than Metformin so was putting me on both as Gliclazide would work quicker to get it under control and needed that as I was at a ‘high’ BG (but nothing in comparison to you). Strange.
Mine was 83 and I was only put on 1000mg dose of Metformin. Now 500mg but I don’t take it very often, and don’t see any difference in levels.

I was 114 at diagnosis and started on Metformin straight away and Gliclazide within a couple of weeks. Then insulin after 6 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back