Guess im looking for approval

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan74uk

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just had first blood test after diagnosis of t2 gone from 117 to 86 reading.two things is this a common drop after starting meds and b make me feel
Positive because this no sugar lark is tough i need to know i wont now plateu

Oh and can u feel shakey even when your nlood sugars at 86 had my first wobble
Last night

Your experiances of your first blood sugar drops please

Well done on your reduction! How long was it between your diagnosis and your second test? Are you on any medication?

In my case I was diagnosed in December at 115 and was at 76 in Feb and then 50 in May. I'm on 4 daily Metformin tablets which I hope to reduce after my next blood test if all goes well.
I've never had any noticeable signs of blood sugar drops but have noticed that I need to wee much less.

Well done on your reduction! How long was it between your diagnosis and your second test? Are you on any medication?

In my case I was diagnosed in December at 115 and was at 76 in Feb and then 50 in May. I'm on 4 daily Metformin tablets which I hope to reduce after my next blood test if all goes well.
I've never had any noticeable signs of blood sugar drops but have noticed that I need to wee much less.
Thank you

47 reading feb
117 sept
86 this week

Yeh i noticed the lack of slash too .im hoping the blurred vision goes soon.im on gliclazide 80mil

Just had first blood test after diagnosis of t2 gone from 117 to 86 reading.two things is this a common drop after starting meds and b make me feel
Positive because this no sugar lark is tough i need to know i wont now plateu

Oh and can u feel shakey even when your nlood sugars at 86 had my first wobble
Last night

Your experiances of your first blood sugar drops please
Think of it like a functioning alcoholic easing off the booze. Its a prolonged build up to an unhealthy tolerance, so “sobriety” can feel a little strange.
By a similar token. Lower BGs can feel the same for some.
Looks like you’re heading in the right direction.

Your experiences of your first blood sugar drops please
From 117 to 86 is a decent drop. It's not good to come down too quickly anyway. I was diagnosed at 114 in March 2019, at next HbA1c in June I'd come down to 56, which was probably a little too much too soon.

Thank you

47 reading feb
117 sept
86 this week

Yeh i noticed the lack of slash too .im hoping the blurred vision goes soon.im on gliclazide 80mil
With the Gliclazide you can't go really low carb, but I think by next year - with the same amount of progress you could be seeing normal numbers.
Low carb is a really powerful controller of blood glucose - I did HbA1c of 91 to 41 in 6 months no medication as it came close to killing me in 5 weeks, so I had a very good reason to stick to the diet.
Eyesight is the most noticeable alteration after high blood glucose, but it should sort itself out once normal numbers begin to show up on the after meal testing - I am assuming that having been prescribed Gliclazide you have a blood testing meter to check all is well?

Congratulations on a good reduction and wishing you success in dropping it further.
I note you mention sugar in your post rather than carbs. Are you aware that it is all carbs ie starchy carbs as well as sugar that you need to be reducing? So bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and breakfast cereals etc basically anything made from grains/grain flour.

With the Gliclazide you can't go really low carb, but I think by next year - with the same amount of progress you could be seeing normal numbers.
Low carb is a really powerful controller of blood glucose - I did HbA1c of 91 to 41 in 6 months no medication as it came close to killing me in 5 weeks, so I had a very good reason to stick to the diet.
Eyesight is the most noticeable alteration after high blood glucose, but it should sort itself out once normal numbers begin to show up on the after meal testing - I am assuming that having been prescribed Gliclazide you have a blood testing meter to check all is well?
Tha ks
Why is low carb on gliclazide no good?
I have a meter but ive given up stabbing myself as cant deaw blood and cant see the benefit .just concentrating on gym and eating better .i dont get the blood testing its too late to do anything if bloods have shot up isnt it

Congratulations on a good reduction and wishing you success in dropping it further.
I note you mention sugar in your post rather than carbs. Are you aware that it is all carbs ie starchy carbs as well as sugar that you need to be reducing? So bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and breakfast cereals etc basically anything made from grains/grain flour.
Now i dont gst this i was told starchy carbs are the ones i shud be earting over the non starchy ones

Tha ks
Why is low carb on gliclazide no good?
I have a meter but ive given up stabbing myself as cant deaw blood and cant see the benefit .just concentrating on gym and eating better .i dont get the blood testing its too late to do anything if bloods have shot up isnt it
Testing your blood glucose at home can be very informative as it means you can adjust your intake of carbohydrates so as not to cause increase in blood glucose more that what is an acceptable amount. So yes it is very much something that you can do something about. Keeping to 4-7mmol/l fasting and before meals and no more than 8-8.5mmol/l 2 hours post meal consistently will be reflected in a normal HbA1C.
You should have no problem getting the small drop of blood needed to apply to the test strip if you get your technique right.
The recommendation is that people should not go very low carb as in keto which is less than 50g per day which is not recommended but low carb which is suggested as being no more than 130g per day can be introduced gradually when they start on gliclazide and it should be done with caution. Having your monitor means you can check if your level is too low when you feel 'wobbly' or is it just the body getting used to lower levels than it had been getting.

Now i dont gst this i was told starchy carbs are the ones i shud be earting over the non starchy ones
It sounds as if you have got the wrong end of the stick somehow. Why you you eat foods which convert to glucose when you are trying to reduce glucose and taking meds which will help you do so.
You need to do a bit of reading to understand the concept of managing to reduce blood glucose.
Have a look at this link https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

Testing your blood glucose at home can be very informative as it means you can adjust your intake of carbohydrates so as not to cause increase in blood glucose more that what is an acceptable amount. So yes it is very much something that you can do something about. Keeping to 4-7mmol/l fasting and before meals and no more than 8-8.5mmol/l 2 hours post meal consistently will be reflected in a normal HbA1C.
You should have no problem getting the small drop of blood needed to apply to the test strip if you get your technique right.
The recommendation is that people should not go very low carb as in keto which is less than 50g per day which is not recommended but low carb which is suggested as being no more than 130g per day can be introduced gradually when they start on gliclazide and it should be done with caution. Having your monitor means you can check if your level is too low when you feel 'wobbly' or is it just the body getting used to lower levels than it had been getting.
Wow what a reply thank you

Ii am sticking to approx 150 carbs a day and about 800 -1000calories at the moment
I would concentrate on the carbs rather than the calories as that is a lot to get your head around, and that is all carbs not just sugar, at 150g it is probably rather more than is wise as it means the meds are fighting against the carbs. That medication encourages your pancreas to produce more insulin if it is able but it can still only do so much.
That is why doing some meal testing will enable you to see how well it is doing it's job./

Ii am sticking to approx 150 carbs a day and about 800 -1000calories at the moment
I try, and often fail, at 120 carbs per day. I am slowly trying to reduce the times I go over though. I suspect my last bloods made me a little complacent so I'm trying to make an effort again.

Then you have been misinformed by someone giving you old NHS advice.

All; carbohydrates are broken down by the digestive system into glucose which is then absorbed through the gut wall into your blood stream and as a diabetic, you then have difficulty removing and utilizing it. The idea with changing your diet to manage your diabetes is that you put less glucose in both from sugars and starchy carbs, to enable your body to cope better and levels not go so high.

To give you an idea of the impact of starchy carbs, 1 slice of medium wholemeal bread is about 15g of carbs. 3 teaspoons of sugar is about 15g carbs, so your average 2 slice sandwich has the same amount of carbs as about 6 spoons of sugar. And that is just the bread. Then potatoes and pasta and rice and breakfast cereal, can all be adding a lot of extra glucose to your system which it can't handle. I am not saying that you have to give up bread or potatoes or pasta altogether although some of us have, but reducing your portion size and bulking your plate up with lower carb veg will certainly have a big impact and may result in not only your HbA1c lowering further, but possibly your Gliclazide dose needing to be reduced or stopped altogether. This is the reason that you have to be careful with low carb eating when you are using Gliclazide, because it can drop your levels more effectively than the Gliclazide which can then mean you are overmedicated and your levels drop too low.
There are lower carb alternatives like mashed cauliflower which works well to replace mashed potato to have as bangers and mash or used to top a cottage pie with plenty of grated cheese .... or cauliflower can be grated and used as rice. Personally I have my bolognaise sauce served on a bed of broccoli or green beans and my curry is served on shredded cabbage. It probably sounds naff but actually it is really nice and tastier than rice by a long chalk. There are lots of other suggestions for lower carb alternatives like butternut squash instead of potatoes. Peel and cube and a serving cooks in the microwave with a knob of butter in 4 mins. What is not to love! You can also mash it and cook it off in the frying pan with fried onions and left over meat and maybe some cabbage and mushrooms and egg to make a bubble and squeak. I just had boiled ham with cauliflower cheese, butternut squash and leeks which were cooked in 3 mins in the microwave with a knob of butter and then a dollop of cream cheese stirred in to make them creamy.

I'm on gliclazide 80mil
Strange, isn't it? Your HbA1c was 117 and you get put on Gliclazide, mine was 114 and I get put on Metformin. Once again there seems to be no consistency across the NHS (unless there are other factors that they take into account in deciding which medication is most appropriate).

Last edited:
I am sticking to approx 150 carbs a day and about 800 -1000calories at the moment
Are you keeping the calories down because you need to lose weight? At a recent presentation I attended on managing T2 a GP said that in trials they found that patients on a low carb diet tended to lose more weight than those on a traditional low calorie diet, and they also showed a bigger drop in HbA1c..

I try, and often fail, at 120 carbs per day. I am slowly trying to reduce the times I go over though. I suspect my last bloods made me a little complacent so I'm trying to make an effort again.
Same here - sometimes I'm under 130g, sometimes over, but I'm still averaging only 134g per day so far this month and I don't think those extra few grams are going to matter much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back