Guess Finn's HbA1c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finn

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Following the thread from @Jenny65 , I had a blood test last week and I'm awaiting the results.

Anyone want to guess what my HbA1c will be?

• I'm Type 1, diagnosed just over a year ago
  • My last HbA1c in June 2022 was 44 mmol/mol
  • My CGM says over the last 90 days, I spent 97% in range (3.8-10) with 2% high and 1% low
  • I usually walk about 5 hours a week, but I've been busy with work and it's gotten colder, so I haven't been walking nearly as much, maybe 2-3 hours a week
  • I've lost about 3kg since my last HbA1c in June
  • I've been eating more carbs - about 120g a day, up from 100g a day, but I don't restrict my carb intake, it's just what I usually eat
  • I'm vegetarian and I eat about 300g raw veggies every meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
  • I feel like my numbers have improved, but I've also been 'experimenting' a bit with street food the last few weeks (veggie burgers, chips and ice cream) sometimes with more success than other times :rofl:
  • I'm still in the honeymoon phase
  • I'm on MDI and have a CGM

Last edited:
I'm not great at guessing things(even with clues but I'm going to say around 44 again.

Whatever your libre estimates you hba1c at, add 2 points, that’s how it works for me 😉

40 is my guess 🙂

I'll go for 43

Whatever your libre estimates you hba1c at, add 2 points, that’s how it works for me 😉
Wow. I had to add 10 to my Libre estimate.
Last time I had to add 3 to my Libre estimate. I didn't think to take note of the readings before that.

It'll be interesting to see if it's consistently off.

The results are in!

My HbA1c is 50.

It's quite a bit higher that I was expecting, but I guess those veggie burgers, chips and ice cream the two weeks before my test didn't go unnoticed. :rofl:

The prize goes to @rayray119 with their guess of 44!

@helli @EmmaL76 My actual result is 12 higher than Libre's prediction. 😳

It might be that the in-app estimate is going off average blood glucose over the last 3 months, but the blood test is affected more by recent highs. It'd be interesting to have one blood test before a burger, chip & ice cream spree and then another one after.

I think you might be kidding yourself that a burger, ice cream and chips would make much difference to a three month average. More likely to be a more consistent 'bit too much'

I don't really see how they make a difference at all for a type 1 if they got insulin right.

I don't really see how they make a difference at all for a type 1 if they got insulin right.
By the way I'm not judging anyone with my comment and anyway 50 is still recognised as a good HBA1C.

I think you might be kidding yourself that a burger, ice cream and chips would make much difference to a three month average. More likely to be a more consistent 'bit too much'

If it were just a one-off, yes, I'd agree that wouldn't make much of a difference to my HbA1c.

But this wasn't just a single meal splurge. I've been trying to figure out for a few weeks how to bolus for veggie burgers, chips and ice cream and have had days where I've been successful, and days where I have not been as successful (but it's still been delicious, so I consider it a win with more data acquired 😉).

I'm definitely not an expert, but I've been under the impression that more recent highs and lows have more of an affect on HbA1c.

From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3912281/
It is important to remember that A1c represents a weighted mean of glucose levels during the preceding 3 month time period. In other words, glucose levels during the most recent 6 week period will have a greater influence on the A1c result compared to levels from the prior 6 weeks. Thus, if the patient has experienced a recent acute change in glycemic control (i.e., treatment with glucocorticoids), the A1c value will be disproportionately affected by the most recent glucose levels.

If that's not the case, then I seem to have had a lot of lousy sensors. The predicted HbA1c in my Libre app was 38 on the day of my test, but the blood test results came back as 50. Last time, it was only off by 3.

If it were just a one-off, yes, I'd agree that wouldn't make much of a difference to my HbA1c.

But this wasn't just a single meal splurge. I've been trying to figure out for a few weeks how to bolus for veggie burgers, chips and ice cream and have had days where I've been successful, and days where I have not been as successful (but it's still been delicious, so I consider it a win with more data acquired 😉).

I'm definitely not an expert, but I've been under the impression that more recent highs and lows have more of an affect on HbA1c.

From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3912281/

If that's not the case, then I seem to have had a lot of lousy sensors. The predicted HbA1c in my Libre app was 38 on the day of my test, but the blood test results came back as 50. Last time, it was only off by 3.
Sorry I failed to clock you were probably on insulin.

Sorry I failed to clock you were probably on insulin.
I'm Type 1 on insulin.

Burgers and chips are really tough to bolus for (dose-wise and timing-wise), and ice cream outside of the house is tough to carb estimate.

I usually plan a walk after tough-to-bolus-for foods so I don't need so much insulin (which could risk getting on a rollercoaster of highs and lows). Some of my recent attempts have led to sky-high blood sugar way out of the ordinary for me (I spend most of my time between 5-7) and I'm guessing since the experiments were recent (1-2 weeks before my blood test), they skewed my results.

It's been a long (and delicious) learning experience. :D

And 97% TIR is pretty astonishing. (I can get that for a day, now and again, but not for 90 days!)
Thanks Bruce.

Working from home helps a lot. I think if I had to go into an office, it'd be a different story! :rofl:

Last edited:
97% time in range but then a hba1c 12 points higher than libre predicts suggests that your libre just isn’t reading accurately, and it’s overestimating your time in range. Are you drinking enough fluids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back