Guardian 4 sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB2015

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Has anyone got experience of using the Guardian 4 sensors? Do they really eliminate all fingerpricks?

Reactions: DKM
Not heard of anyone yet. When did it launch?

Thanks Mike
I shall have to wait and see.

There were supply delays late last year. The sensors integrate with the Medtronic 780G to provide a closed loop system, as they are a Medtronic product. I guess they are like any CGM sensor system subject to their usual problems, but in a closed loop system they should be minimal. I have no idea whether they will have to be self funded or will be available on prescription, but I can tell you that they are far more expensive than either the Libre or Dexcom. The transmitter is over 700 dollars, or around £500 or so, but works for a year apparently.

So not one for the self funders, and if I’m startled by the price they must be beyond most people.

The pricing of the Guardian 4s will be the same as Guardian 3, as with the transmitter.
On a contract the weekly sensors work out at under £34 each. I think this is similar to a dexcom. The transmitter is guaranteed for a year and is currently lasting longer than that. I do have to self fund these.

I shall wait to see whether the Guardian 4 sensors truly replace all finger pricks and calibrations.
There have been delays with all the Medtronic sensors but these seem to be settling now.

There's a number of people who've received emails this week inviting them to move to the G4 from the G3 (including me). They don't quite remove all fingerprick tests - they need one when you first insert them but (hopefully) that's it. Anecdotal reports suggest they're very accurate, but time will tell. I'll try and remember to report back.

Thanks @peedee76
That sounds like they have overcome their supply issues.
I suspected that you would need at least one calibration at the start.
I shall be interested to hear how you get on once you switch.
Are you using your sensors in a closed loop?

Thanks @peedee76
That sounds like they have overcome their supply issues.
I suspected that you would need at least one calibration at the start.
I shall be interested to hear how you get on once you switch.
Are you using your sensors in a closed loop?
Hello @SB2015 - yes been closed loop with 780G and G3 since last summer so similar to you're situation I think. It's not perfect, but it does help a lot especially overnight and in having far fewer hypos. The supply issues look like they're resolving - was a bit dicy in December, but last couple of boxes have shipped on time so hopefully it'll be OK. Hopefully they'll move onto the 7-day sets once they get the sensors out 🙂

Hello @SB2015 - yes been closed loop with 780G and G3 since last summer so similar to you're situation I think. It's not perfect, but it does help a lot especially overnight and in having far fewer hypos. The supply issues look like they're resolving - was a bit dicy in December, but last couple of boxes have shipped on time so hopefully it'll be OK. Hopefully they'll move onto the 7-day sets once they get the sensors out 🙂
Yup, the same as you, but I started in Jan 2021 so now I have done a full year. Overnight is so much batter, and if I snack later than usual the closed loop settles things down while I sleep. I also have far fewer hypos. less than one a week now rather than the one per day I was having before.
I finally received my December sensors late January.

What are the 7-day sets? Is this insulin cartridge only replaced once per week? I heard a rumour of that, and more closely matches what I did on my Combo, although I still replaced cannulas every three days.

I wouldn't recommend the 7 day infusion sets as I developed basal cell carcinoma in 2 sites where my cannula went into my stomach. I've ended up getting the scabs that formed scraped off. One healed OK, but the dermatologist wants to cut out the unhealed one. I'm not happy about it, but it appears trauma can cause basal cell carcinoma. They never warned me about this when I got my first pump, and no one in my hospital has encountered it before!!

@SB2015 3 days in to first sensor - so far so good, only calibrated once. Have checked BMs a few times and it seems pretty accurate. Got funded too 🙂
Well done on getting funded. All sounding very promising.

I am about to start my new contract, and they have promised to switch me to Guardian 4 once they are reliably available. Sounds like that is not too far off.

Apologies if you have told us this before, but are you in the UK?

Glad the Guardian G4s are working well so far @peedee76

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you experienced @Lindaburner - I’d not heard of it either, but a quick search on Pubmed suggests it may be connected with a variety of trauma sites, scars, or injuries. So I guess theoretically any infusion site or CGM insertion might be involved.

Considering the number of pump users worldwide, and the frequency of infusion set insertions, I guess this must be pretty rare? Very unfortunate for you to have experienced it twice :(

Well done on getting funded. All sounding very promising.

I am about to start my new contract, and they have promised to switch me to Guardian 4 once they are reliably available. Sounds like that is not too far off.

Apologies if you have told us this before, but are you in the UK?
Yes UK, @SB2015 - west central Scotland. In general the funding situation here is pretty decent compared to what I hear in other areas. Still a few hoops to jump through for CGM, but certainly much better than a few years ago for pumps.

Thanks for the heads up on G4s @peedee76

It took me some time to get the switch over but after some ‘difficulties’ with the Medtronic ordering systems, my Guardian 4s have finally arrived. With the problems in supply I shall use the remaining GuardIan 3 that I have, in order to create a one week buffer.

@SB2015 That’s good news. Yes, Medtronic can be a bit of a challenge at times, though to be fair they’re usually good at sorting things if you phone them. Sensors still seem to be ok still

Well I was actually about to say 'surely human skin is truly the 'weakest link' rather than infusion sets?' Anyone who's known me a while also knows about the numerous poor absorption areas on my body which require me to change infusion sets every 2 days come what may. It's a PITA cos when I get a 'good' infusion site it's so very, very tempting to not change it.

Having said that of course, as far as I know it's only a DSN who decided to tell me to do that when I first went on a pump cos of the way I got the big hollows in my thighs from basal jabs, but that always sounded sensible to me so I've always followed it. And now have non absorbing areas on my bum too, areas I'd never ever used for jabs for the previous450 years.

If Medtronic can suddenly invent 7 day infusion sets, how come Roche and other pump manufactures can't use such a plastic, and when Roche's tubing lasts 6 days anyway and has done throughout since I first had a pump whyever can't they use that plastic for infusion sets too, and how can the plungers in insulin pen cartridges and in the 'bungs' at the top of cartridges and vials last practically for ever when nothing else can last that long?

Not logical Captain said the T1 Vulcanite.

Has anyone got experience of using the Guardian 4 sensors? Do they really eliminate all fingerpricks?
Hi, I've just joined the forum, I'm on Guardian 4 and yes just 1 fingerprick when you apply a new sensor and it's warmed up. Then it leaves you in peace! Are you are anyone else on here self-funding Guardian 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back