Got a new appointment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clinic appointments (can vary but usually every 6 months or for some annually) would usually be with the consultant as an overview of your care/progress. It can vary from clinic to clinic but at mine the review appointment would start with blood tests (results ready by the time I see the consultant), weight, blood pressure checks, retinal screening etc. Then the consultant would do check feet, injection site etc and go through the various results. For me dsn appts tend to come as and when needed, either because they ask to see me based on the review or I request to see them.
I tend to see the consultant part as the general MOT, then followed up if necessary by the dsn for the day to day fine tuning stuff.

What's retinal screening? I know I sound thick but the only time I had to sit with a DSN my father had just died that same morning same hospital.

I can add it to list list of question I have

like what's my HBA1c, as everybody here thinks it's important
what are keytones, and where are mine? what do they do? how do I find them?

woohoo.gif
After originally getting a new appointment for the 24th Ihave one with the DSN tomorrow afternoon. now what do I need to ask?????????

Anything and everything you might want to know!! (diabetes related that is 😉
Lots of people find it useful to go with a list of questions to keep on track and make sure they cover everything. If you've been keeping a blood reading diary take that as it's a good basis for discussion. Then really anything you're unsure or worried about.

Anything and everything you might want to know!! (diabetes related that is 😉
Lots of people find it useful to go with a list of questions to keep on track and make sure they cover everything. If you've been keeping a blood reading diary take that as it's a good basis for discussion. Then really anything you're unsure or worried about.

I stopped testing at xmas. I did keep a diary till then but nobody wanted to read it, and I didn't know what to do with the information.

What's retinal screening? I know I sound thick but the only time I had to sit with a DSN my father had just died that same morning same hospital. I can add it to list list of question I have like what's my HBA1c, as everybody here thinks it's important what are keytones, and where are mine? what do they do? how do I find them?

Retinal screening, they take photos of your eyes to check for signs of eye damage, usually this is done annually.
I'd have thought they'd test your hba1c when you go, very loosely defined it is an indication of how your control has been over the previous 2-3 months so a really important number to keep a eye on. Ketones is a good one to get on the list too!
Maybe enquire if they do thedafe course, or an alternative, there. In theory all areas should offer some sort of diabetes education to its patients and I know most people find them to be extremely useful.
Hope it all goes well!

Retinal screening, they take photos of your eyes to check for signs of eye damage, usually this is done annually.
I'd have thought they'd test your hba1c when you go, very loosely defined it is an indication of how your control has been over the previous 2-3 months so a really important number to keep a eye on. Ketones is a good one to get on the list too!
Maybe enquire if they do thedafe course, or an alternative, there. In theory all areas should offer some sort of diabetes education to its patients and I know most people find them to be extremely useful.
Hope it all goes well!

Thank you. So far my education has come from this site, or I should say the nice helpfull people that visit here. The injections aside I feel thick/stupid on all diabetic matters.

The funny thing is I work with a type 2 diabetic, and he comes to me for advice like a type1 is more senior or has more knowledge lol. We both soon realised he knows far more than me due to the excellent care he is recievingfrom a different health authority.

I stopped testing at xmas. I did keep a diary till then but nobody wanted to read it, and I didn't know what to do with the information.

It does sound like you've not had much support from your team. Personally I couldn't manage without testing but that's for me rather than for showing anyone. But as you say if you don't know what to do with the readings, so can't act on them, then there's probably very little use in having the readings. Can I ask what insulin(s) you are on?

It does sound like you've not had much support from your team. Personally I couldn't manage without testing but that's for me rather than for showing anyone. But as you say if you don't know what to do with the readings, so can't act on them, then there's probably very little use in having the readings. Can I ask what insulin(s) you are on?
Levimir once a day
novorapid with meals so sometime twice sometime 5 times a day

So are you carb counting and adjusting you insulin or have they put you on fixed doses?

fixed dose

should I be counting carbs? If so I will put it on the list of questions for tomorrow, remind me what are carbs and how do we count them?

I have never taken any interest in diet stuff and as such I would know where to find carbs let alone count them lol:D

Personally, I would reccommend carb counting and adjusting insulin as the way to go, although everyone is different so it may not be the way you want to go, definately worth having the conversation though. If you did go that way then the reasons for testing and what to do with the readings become more important.
In general terms, as diabetics it is carbs that affect our blood sugar
By carb counting you can work out how many carbs are in what you eat and work out how much insulin you need for that giving you freedom in what you eat and hopefully better control. It can be a bit tricky to get the hang of but in my opinion well worth it.
From what you've said a course like dafne sounds like it could be really useful.

Personally, I would reccommend carb counting and adjusting insulin as the way to go, although everyone is different so it may not be the way you want to go, definately worth having the conversation though. If you did go that way then the reasons for testing and what to do with the readings become more important.
In general terms, as diabetics it is carbs that affect our blood sugar
By carb counting you can work out how many carbs are in what you eat and work out how much insulin you need for that giving you freedom in what you eat and hopefully better control. It can be a bit tricky to get the hang of but in my opinion well worth it.
From what you've said a course like dafne sounds like it could be really useful.

I will certainly be asking about a course, But testing arrrrrrghhhh it hurts and I dont mind admitting it. after a while my fingers were very sore.

Anybody else have this problem? or am i a wimp lol

I will certainly be asking about a course, But testing arrrrrrghhhh it hurts and I dont mind admitting it. after a while my fingers were very sore.

Anybody else have this problem? or am i a wimp lol

if you set your finger pricker to a lower setting and alternate your fingers ...wash your hands to warm them up it helps

if you set your finger pricker to a lower setting and alternate your fingers ...wash your hands to warm them up it helps

I have it set low :D So low ifact I have to sqeeze like mad to get blood out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back