going up!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi bev, hope everything goes well with Alex. One thing that I now reflect on about my time in hospital was that they never checked what I was eating. I was completely ravenous the whole week I was in and eating everything I possibly could. At the start of the week they were adjusting ( reacting to my high post-meal levels) because I was on a pump, but towards the end of the week I was getting fixed doses of insulin by injection - I was probably better controlled the week after I left hospital than the week I was in!

It's a reflection of how much you have learned that you knew exactly what questions to ask of the food - whether they responded appropriately is another matter!

Best wishes to Alex, hope he still has his weekend away to look forward to!🙂

Bev, feel for you in this! Best wishes for Alex.

The only thing we learned about hospital, and about our subsequent calls to the ward, is that, frankly, everyone there knows less about the management of diabetes than we do. Very supportive, good people, but unable to give properly specific advice.

So I've no doubt you know better about the details than those you are with -- with the exception of the consultant, of course.

Sorry too that they are not really trusting you properly. Sigh. How frustrating. You've worked so hard!

Good luck with everything. Keep us posted!

Are the meals from a bulk trolley or are they the steam heat microwave ones? If they are the micro ones then the carb count shouldn't be too difficult and they should be able to get hold of the info for you. If it comes from a bulk trolley then it will be harder as it's the person serving up the meals who will decide the portion sizes.

People are unlikely to be in exact range or very well controlled in hospital, and I've known a consultant say that it's not what they try to achieve because if you are in range when lying on a bed/sitting in the chair all of the day then you will be hypo when you go home on the same doses.

Will the consultant that admitted him be seeing him?

send our best wishes to him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back