Glucose Monitor?

KKirb72

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hello! I have Type 2 Prediabetes and have no clue why. Is it worth buying some type of glucose monitor to see if I can figure anything out? If so, is there anything you would recommend?

Hi @KKirb72 and welcome to the forum!

Have you had an appointment with your GP at all to discuss these things? Diabetes could be caused by many things and sometimes the reasons aren't always obvious or even known. We have some information here on our website, however your medical team would have more insight into your specific circumstances. Often with small changes, people can reduce their 'numbers' and get out of that pre-diabetes range, by looking more into their diets or becoming more active. However every person is different, therefore I would encourage you to speak to your GP too. How does your usual day-to-day look like in regards to food and activities?

Welcome to the forum @KKirb72
As @Ieva DUK has explained, it is not always possible to work out why we have diabetes and a glucose monitor will not answer that question.
A glucose monitor can help you manage your condition by showing you what foods your body can tolerate and what it cannot.

Thanks for the responses. I don't think it's diet or fitness - I'm very active and 56kg with a healthy diet. My GP has sent me on a diabetes awareness course which is interesting but is very centred around diet. I did wonder if there were certain foods that I was intolerant to. Otherwise, I guess it's down to ethnicity/genetics. Feeling a bit hopeless as to whether there is anything I can do to reverse it.

Thanks for the responses. I don't think it's diet or fitness - I'm very active and 56kg with a healthy diet. My GP has sent me on a diabetes awareness course which is interesting but is very centred around diet. I did wonder if there were certain foods that I was intolerant to. Otherwise, I guess it's down to ethnicity/genetics. Feeling a bit hopeless as to whether there is anything I can do to reverse it.
I found a blood glucose tester very useful as it enabled me to reduce my after meal levels to under 8mmol/l and then stay on track as I saw my levels reducing week on week.
What HCPs think is a healthy diet was very problematic for me, but these days they have to accept that my way of eating seems right for me, a very ordinary type 2.
If eating low carb foods doesn't result in lower blood glucose levels for you then there might very well be something more interesting going on, and you ought to have further investigation, as misdiagnosis seems a possibility.

Feeling a bit hopeless as to whether there is anything I can do to reverse it.
Many have got to remission (no signs, no symptoms) from an actual diagnosis of T2, often from HbA1c levels well above the 'at risk' range, so yes - absolutely.

Last edited:
Some foods which would be considered healthy for people with out a pre or Type 2 diabetes diagnosis are not so as it is that the body struggles with carbohydrates which for many people form a big part of their diet. Reducing those can help to reduce blood glucose and those dietary changes can made remission is very possible.
Have a look at this link for some ideas for making some what will likely be modest changes. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

I ate a so-called 'healthy heart' diet for over 10yrs. It was low fat but high carb with lots of whole grains and fruit.
During that time I slowly started to gain weight, having previously ben below normal weight. Then I discovered it hadn't protected me since I needed a 3x bypass and was then diagnosed as Type 2 diabetic even though I was only 2lbs into the overweight BMI category.

Once I got a BG monitor I discovered that my GP , Diabetes Nurse, the Government and the media has all lied to me. For me and nearly all Type 2 diabetics a low carb high protein high(ish) Fat way of eating saw my BG drop from the very start. I also shed the extra weight and got into T2D remission which I have maintained for over 4yrs

With 2 readings (just before a meal and then 2hrs after 1st bite) my BG meter tells me how well my body copes with what I ate - so whether it was good for me to eat or not. It is completely unbiased and independent and is my own personal expert on how my body copes with carbohydrates.

Back