Girl refused help for hypo because of her school uniform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have just read in the Southampton Daily Echo about a girl whose friends were refused a soft drink in a shop because she was wearing the uniform of a school whose pupils had been banned from the shop. She was having the hypo and her friends tried to buy the drink for her, explaining she was diabetic, but they wouldn't sell it to them - they wouldn't even sell it to an assistant from the butcher's shop next door because they knew it was for her!

I am absolutely disgusted! If she had been hit by a car would they have refused to call an ambulance because of her uniform? She eventually had to walk with help to her friends house 10 minutes away.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/8188768.Store_refuses_to_sell_fizzy_drink_to_diabetic_girl/

😡 is how i feel....

I think we should all dig out our old school uniforms and visit for a mass hypo. Anyone up for it?

I think we should all dig out our old school uniforms and visit for a mass hypo. Anyone up for it?

I want to wear the uniform of that school and have a mass hypo to see what they do.

It's OK to refuse to sell fags and booze to the kids, but to refuse a fizzy drink to treat a medical condition with is just plain mad. I hope the school and the girls parents make their feelings known, and she can have as many fizzy drinks from me as she needs!

I think if I had been the butcher's assistant I would have just walked out with the drink and let the shop call the police. The shop said later 'We always try to take a common sense approach but if we have made a mistake we will apologise'. For goodness sake, they weren't trying to buy whisky or cigarettes for her 😡

Poor girl she must have been terrified x

This is absolutely disgusting! I do hope the school has complained, but as always it is the majority who suffer and not the minority who cause the trouble in the first place!
I hope the owners of the shop are hanging their heads in shame, they damn well should be! Grrrrrrr

shirl

I've been trying to register so I can make a comment, but it won't work. Have a read of some of the stupid comments people have left e.g.
Cant really blame the shop.As the report says, wearers of the school uniform have been banned, so obviously some history there, and the shop staff could think more larking around.

I hope none of the people making these comments ever need help in a medical emergency.

I know school kids/students can be high spirited, but it is always the majority who suffer for the minorities bad behaviour...

I've been trying to register so I can make a comment, but it won't work. Have a read of some of the stupid comments people have left e.g.

I've just made a comment I'm surprised I didn't use rude words the mood I'm in today.

I have some sympathy with the shop owners on the basis that they must have had problems with the 'little darlings' in the past leading up to the ban.

However, where I'd take issue with them is that in this circumstance it would have been better to assume the worst and sold the drink.

Of course, this now gives the 'little darlings' a chance to cry wolf in the future.

So, I guess they might as well forget the blanket ban. 🙄

Andy

I agree that kids can be an utter pain, especially in groups, but I think it is the fact that they refused the shop assistant from next door as well, who had clearly listened and agreed the girl needed help.

I've just made a comment I'm surprised I didn't use rude words the mood I'm in today.

I've commented too. What some of the posters don't seem to realise is that these were children who were probably in a bit of a panic about their friend, who herself would have been very panicky and frightened. They wouldn't be calm and thinking 'Oh, OK let's just find another shop that sells juice.' The poster who says 'If it was really that serious...' - well, I hope they never have to find out for themselves.

On a side note, I hate it when all kids are tarred with the same brush of being troublemakers when most of them are nothing of the sort.

There are quite a few schools near me. On the whole the kids are high spirited after a day in school and they are letting off steam.

Disgusting behaviour!! I'd be fuming!

its a very scarey thought! what if she had collapsed? just reinforces the need to cary a diabeties alert card , she could have showed the shop keeper mabey that would have helped? still id be fuming if i was her mother

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back