Getting just a bit worried.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Inka I have been a little bit shivery, but nothing else at all and of course it has been frosty the last couple of nights, so that could easily account for being shivery. Nose is dry, so nothing else to indicate a cold/virus.... yet. I guess there is still time as this is certainly happened a day and a half before I came down with Covid in October.

Delighted to report that I didn't need a correction after lunch and levels came back down from the 8s with the insulin I had injected, so looks like normal service is resuming albeit with increased basal and double bolus, but keeping an eye on things and will reduce those as soon as I can. I do find that Fiasp is an absolute wimp once levels get above 10 which is why I work hard to keep below 10 and usually proactively correct at 8, plus I find that my Levemir units are a lot more powerful than my Fiasp. ie. I can firefight and need say 10 units of Fiasp to keep a lid on things but an increase of just 2 units of Levemir will do the same job as those 10u of Fiasp. ie a 2unit increase in basal will put things right when a combination of corrections amounting to 10 units of Fiasp over the day was struggling. Not sure if that makes sense.

Just picking up on your point about fiasp being wimp above 10, to be fair found novorapid was no better in my experience & using fiasp myself last few years it's on par with it, but it is slightly faster acting in normal range.

Tbh think we all experience same when bg is in double figures, whereby some insulin resistance takes place.

Hope your improvements continues today @rebrascora

Just catching up with this @rebrascora

Goodness what a kerfuffle! Glad you were able to bludgeon it into submission eventually. But that must have been a bit scary to have so much more insulin sloshing around than you are used to with seemingly such little effect. Always fearing the rage-bolus crash that never came 😱

Still, on the plus side it wasn’t your butterfly socks, and lumpdumpy is my new favourite diabetes term.

@nonethewiser Yes, I do wonder if my change from NR to Fiasp being during my honeymoon period affects my retrospective view of NR and how it worked for me and therefore my experience/view of Fiasp. ie NR appeared more effective because my own insulin production was perhaps helping it out. That said, quite a few people find Fiasp less effective for not much gain in speed. I do find it quicker at times but it really shocks me how little response I get to what I consider large doses at high BG levels. Don't get me wrong I would not go back to NR now but to inject what I consider a very large correction of 8 units without any food and only see my levels drop by about 1.5mmols over the course of 3 hours and then start rising again, seems pretty shocking to me.

Felt a bit sick and achy last night after my evening meal (chicken stir fry so minimal carbs but gave it 2 units) and levels started to head up into double figures again so I jabbed a correction (3u) and my increased dose of Levemir (4u) and went to bed and that seems to have worked well as I woke on 7.0. So I am now up 6u of Levemir from last week and double boluses and that seems to be holding me steady. Feel a bit achy this morning still but otherwise OK so fingers crossed things will settle down. Must try to get out for a good walk today as that will help my achy body and BG levels.

The important thing is that I feel back in control again.... well as much as you ever are. 🙄.

Really do love my Levemir and always feel like I can rely on it and it is strong and dependable whereas sometimes bolus just seems so wishywashy in these situations.

Really do love my Levemir and always feel like I can rely on it and it is strong and dependable whereas sometimes bolus just seems so wishywashy in these situations.
Not sure about Levemir being stronger than Fiasp but one great thing about the shorter acting basals is how easy it is to adjust. Obviously, this is even easier with a pump where I can decide I need more (or less) basal in the next couple of hours because I might be going down with something or I got a bit high and my bolus needs some assistance for a little while.
I never used Tresiba but the idea of having to wait three to four days before an increase has much effect seems bizarre - most colds will be gone by then. I know many people love the stability so it's great that we have the options.

I genuinely do feel that Levemir is significantly "stronger" or more effective, unit for unit than Fiasp or NovoRapid for that matter for me. It takes maybe 4 or 5 units of Fiasp to achieve what a single unit increase of Levemir will do. I have always loved my Levemir right from the start and found it really dependable as well as being flexible. It fixes things when my bolus insulin can't cope. Maybe it is something to do with how my body works but it is another reason why I would be loath to go onto a pump, because I trust my Levemir so much, whereas I don't really have that trust in my bolus insulin, because it is not consistent. Maybe it is to do with my low carb approach or my individual biology but I have felt this way from the start about Levemir. Levemir adjustment is what allows me to manage my diabetes well.
I totally agree with you @helli that Tresiba would absolutely not be for me.
That comment a few weeks ago about Levemir possibly being discontinued in the USA really rattled me. I hope it was misreported or they find that it is a bad move and reinstate it. USA is a big market and if it gets phased out there you can see it happening elsewhere too, especially as many consultants and DSNs here in the UK seem to favour Tresiba.
I always make a point of telling my consultant how much I love my Levemir.

Slight giggle to myself here, Barbara!

How many years is it that some of us have been telling Type 1 folk the importance of getting their Basal dose as sorted as humanly possible before even considering Bolus doses.

Almost magical, ain't it !!! o_O :D

Slight giggle to myself here, Barbara!

How many years is it that some of us have been telling Type 1 folk the importance of getting their Basal dose as sorted as humanly possible before even considering Bolus doses.

Almost magical, ain't it !!! o_O :D
Yes, I was thinking that myself as I wrote it Jenny and I very much subscribe to that view. It just throws you when it changes in a matter of a couple of hours by 6 units after you have injected for the day and the amount of bolus needed to firefight that change is nearly 30 extra units in a day until you get your next basal doses adjusted. Just a bit of an extreme example, but very pertinent.

It also makes me a little concerned as to how much fast acting insulin I would need if I forgot to take my morning dose of Levemir and didn't have any with me, even for just a day. It is currently 22units in the morning and if a deficit of 6u of basal on this occasion needed 30 units of Fiasp to manage/firefight it, how many would I need for 22units! It is scary to contemplate! I guess if it hadn't got to mid teens I wouldn't have needed nearly so much, but it all happened so quickly and when I was busy and of course I kept thinking it would sort itself after each correction I put in.

You are right though it is magical when you get that basal dose right and everything calms down again and you are back to normal or near normal and with Levemir being so responsive you can see that benefit in 24 hours.

In reality I am back to my normal winter doses now, so not needing anymore than I did last year at this time and I wonder if it is because I missed a couple of doses of Amitriptyline over the weekend. I have certainly had lots of hypos since I started taking it and had to reduce my Levemir for that reason, so I suppose it is sort of logical that if I missed doses I would need more, just didn't expect it to be quite so dramatic!

@nonethewiser Yes, I do wonder if my change from NR to Fiasp being during my honeymoon period affects my retrospective view of NR and how it worked for me and therefore my experience/view of Fiasp. ie NR appeared more effective because my own insulin production was perhaps helping it out. That said, quite a few people find Fiasp less effective for not much gain in speed. I do find it quicker at times but it really shocks me how little response I get to what I consider large doses at high BG levels. Don't get me wrong I would not go back to NR now but to inject what I consider a very large correction of 8 units without any food and only see my levels drop by about 1.5mmols over the course of 3 hours and then start rising again, seems pretty shocking to me.

That is surprising result for 8u must admit @rebrascora

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back