G7: significant improvement over L2 and Dexcom One; anyone using the G7 Receiver rather than a phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are correct @Pumper_Sue - the Receiver should be provided. But in S Bucks Dexcom Receivers are not (or were not 4 weeks ago - could be changing, but .. ) part of the local Formulary. Libre 2 Readers are, but Dexcom Receivers are not, neither for the more reasonable priced Dex One @£60 nor the very expensive G7 Receiver at £250.
I checked with Dexcom over this and they say the funding is there for the receivers (NHS have cheaper rates) as they pointed out supplying only half the equipment is rather pointless, their advice was insist it's provided. Obviously if you have a smart phone that is compatible then you should not expect to have a receiver and quite rightly so.

I agree that is why I’m looking for a 2nd option such as a 2nd hand phone.

But even with the cheaper rates given to the NHS the ratio of cost is still the same according to my clinic they say they can get at least 5 Dexcom one receivers for about the price of one G7 receiver.

@peat, I think since your Consultant and that team are closely involved in your change from Libre 2 or 3 to G7 AND because you are a very longstanding T1 there is probably a lot of leeway in how they will translate the protocols into a solution for you.

What I mean is that there may not be the same concern about "watching" over your readings that there might be for someone new to D and your Consultant may very well make a Receiver possible for you, despite the (inevitable) cautiousness within the administrative system in supplying a relatively high priced bit of kit like the G7 Receiver - if that should be the way you wish to proceed.

The rationale that one G7 Receiver costs 5 x Dex One Receivers is not really valid in your case. If you need that part of the "package" then it has to be provided. However, are you sure that x-Drip or any other app is actually an alternative and capable of tapping in to G7 data? My understanding is that Dexcom prevent this in their protocols; but I've never properly checked the correctness of that understanding. My own circumstances are different - I'm still trying to make a case and justify being upgraded to G7, having proved that neither Libre 2 nor Dex One provide me with a workable solution and I'm temporarily self-funding G7 somewhat desperate to get improved CGM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back