G7: significant improvement over L2 and Dexcom One; anyone using the G7 Receiver rather than a phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proud to be erratic

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Pronouns
He/Him
In a different thread on the General Notice Board, @rianos commented on how much better G7 was in relation to Libre 2.

I am just coming to the end of my first 10 days with G7 and I have also found G7 to be so much better than either Libre 2 or Dexcom One. So much so that I have now purchased another 3 sensors and am now on the slippery slope of giving in and fully self-funding CGM, which is going to hurt .... but ..!!

The stability of G7 with its smooth graphs and close calibration with actual BG is a major relevation and confidence booster as well as a stress reducer. It is surprising how much less stressful one's daily D management is when the CGM just "works" without having to mentally correlate one set of numbers with actual - every single time before bolus. I don't like as much the G7's somewhat more cumbersome system of recording data or notes, as the L2 note system - but that is a very minor downside in relation to the significantly better performance of G7 overall.

I am disappointed that on my android phone I get no reading display whenever rhe phone is sleeping and I have to wake the phone then wake the app to see where my BG is heading. With Libre 2, I used the Diabox app and that gave a permanent reading displayed on the face of my sleeping phone - albeit that reading was in a very small font size. A couple of days ago I reached out to Dexcom Tech Support and despite the Tech stating categorically that G7 readings should be permanently on display that Tech could offer no solution to make it happen for me. Worse, after an hour on the phone, the Tech offered to call me back in 24 hrs to research and provide an answer (hopefully) to that sleeping display question as well as providing a link to watch how the G7 Receiver displayed its capabilities; that phone call never came. I got an email eventually, telling me that an anonymous person from Tech Support had called, but my phone wasn't answered; and that email didn't answer either query. My phone wasn't showing any missed call, so I doubt the truth of the premise that an attempt to call had even been made. I use my phone for so many different tasks, including bill payments, that I'm not prepared to remove all the security measures and have an insecure phone.

So: does anyone know of some way of keeping a Samsung A52S on android 13 somehow "awake" for the Dex G7 app, even while the phone is otherwise "sleeping".

Also does anyone use the G7 Receiver please? In particular does it have a variety of alerts and alert sounds and is the data recording system within the G7 Receiver sensibly comprehensive? Does the Receiver provide a constant live display of readings, at all times?

I'm cautious about spending a further £60 plus postage for a Receiver, if it is basic and "mediocre". I thought it would be easy to find a video somewhere that "sold" all the virtues of a G7 Receiver, but not from Dexcom - which leaves me wary that the Receiver isn't really so good as I want to hope it is.

Hoping someone can help.

I have the G7 receiver @Proud to be erratic Warning - I didn’t pay for it but I think it’s significantly more than £70!

I’ve never used my phone with my G7 so I have nothing to compare it with, but I find the receiver more than sufficient. It shows your blood sugar on the Home Screen, along with the last 3hrs in graph form. You can then click to see 6hrs, 12hrs and 24hrs. You can also see Reports on the Receiver, which cover 3, 7, 14, 30 and 90 days. These Reports contain average glucose, GMI, TIR and TIR change. You can see your blood sugar changing on the Home Screen if you keep watching it so it’s always there the second you look. If the screen goes off, it’s a tiny click to get it back on and your blood glucose is right there, along with the trend arrow and graph.

The Alerts are Urgent Low, Urgent Low Soon, Low, High, Rising Fast. You can also delay alerts, change alert sound volume, etc. The Alert Sounds are Vibrate Only, G7 Soft, Med, Intense, Soft Tones, Normal Tones and Melodies. I just leave mine on G7 Medium which produces a good range of perfectly audible, varying sounds (depending on what it’s alerting to). The alerts are intuitively good - ie an ‘urgent’ sound/rhythm for more urgent ones.

I love the G7. It’s brilliant 😎 <3

So: does anyone know of some way of keeping a Samsung A52S on android 13 somehow "awake" for the Dex G7 app, even while the phone is otherwise "sleeping".
When your phone is sleeping it will alarm when out of range. The receiver is about £250 and not £60 :(

I have the G7 receiver @Proud to be erratic Warning - I didn’t pay for it but I think it’s significantly more than £70!

I’ve never used my phone with my G7 so I have nothing to compare it with, but I find the receiver more than sufficient. It shows your blood sugar on the Home Screen, along with the last 3hrs in graph form. You can then click to see 6hrs, 12hrs and 24hrs. You can also see Reports on the Receiver, which cover 3, 7, 14, 30 and 90 days. These Reports contain average glucose, GMI, TIR and TIR change. You can see your blood sugar changing on the Home Screen if you keep watching it so it’s always there the second you look. If the screen goes off, it’s a tiny click to get it back on and your blood glucose is right there, along with the trend arrow and graph.

The Alerts are Urgent Low, Urgent Low Soon, Low, High, Rising Fast. You can also delay alerts, change alert sound volume, etc. The Alert Sounds are Vibrate Only, G7 Soft, Med, Intense, Soft Tones, Normal Tones and Melodies. I just leave mine on G7 Medium which produces a good range of perfectly audible, varying sounds (depending on what it’s alerting to). The alerts are intuitively good - ie an ‘urgent’ sound/rhythm for more urgent ones.

I love the G7. It’s brilliant 😎 <3
Thank you @Inka, I can see that I've almost certainly got the cheaper Dex One Receiver muddled with the G7 - groan! That will change my purchasing affordability parameters.

But the capabities you describe for the Receiver sound very similar to the Android app. During my conversation on Thursday with the Tech Support lady, she was adamant that the screen never went to sleep on the Receiver and I was cautiously suspicious.

I've just earlier this evening fitted my 2nd 10 day sensor and the ease and convenience of that was terrific. 18 mins to warm up. Currently a bit high in relation to actual BG, not dreadful but I need to wait for steady state and initiate a calibration.
When your phone is sleeping it will alarm when out of range. The receiver is about £250 and not £60 :(
Thank you @Pumper_Sue and yes I've got the cost appreciation badly wrong.

The alarms (alerts) are fine on my phone, but I've got used to and much appreciate the Diabox app with L2, providing an 'ever-ready' display of interstitial BG so was aspiring to find a solution that replicates this with G7. At the end of the day if it can't be achieved I'm going to have to accept that. Meanwhile I've tried my 1st sensor and like it a lot; if the next 3 sensors are just as good then that will become hard to walk away from. But if I'm to find a further £250 for a Receiver that could be hard to justify at present. Do you happen to know if a Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 is compatible with G7?

Not tried this myself, i have g6, but a reddit thread suggests you 'follow' youself. The follow app does support a display of blood sugars on the lock screen...if you have internet access. May be worth a try?

Oh, and congrats of finding a good cgm. Like you say, it makez a lot of difference

Oh, and congrats of finding a good cgm. Like you say, it makez a lot of difference
Thanks @Tdm, the idea of following myself could (perversely) provide a solution.

I have to admit that anything to do with IT & tech I find frustrating. It all has huge potential, then stumbles at the first hurdles because the product doesn't "quite" deliver the promise in the potential. I think Libre 2 was and still is an excellent example of what I (not so accurately or slightly unfairly) describe as mediocrity. Even after the conversion to full CGM, it misses the opportunity to display readings while one's phone is sleeping. Yet the Diabox app can do that and many other nice to have little details, a product created by a tiny team of people who have D, understand what helps and offer nice extra touches. These things can be done but commercial pressures lead to adequate but certainly not good solutions.

Thank you @Inka, I can see that I've almost certainly got the cheaper Dex One Receiver muddled with the G7 - groan! That will change my purchasing affordability parameters.

But the capabities you describe for the Receiver sound very similar to the Android app. During my conversation on Thursday with the Tech Support lady, she was adamant that the screen never went to sleep on the Receiver and I was cautiously suspicious.

I've just earlier this evening fitted my 2nd 10 day sensor and the ease and convenience of that was terrific. 18 mins to warm up. Currently a bit high in relation to actual BG, not dreadful but I need to wait for steady state and initiate a calibration.

Thank you @Pumper_Sue and yes I've got the cost appreciation badly wrong.

The alarms (alerts) are fine on my phone, but I've got used to and much appreciate the Diabox app with L2, providing an 'ever-ready' display of interstitial BG so was aspiring to find a solution that replicates this with G7. At the end of the day if it can't be achieved I'm going to have to accept that. Meanwhile I've tried my 1st sensor and like it a lot; if the next 3 sensors are just as good then that will become hard to walk away from. But if I'm to find a further £250 for a Receiver that could be hard to justify at present. Do you happen to know if a Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 is compatible with G7?
If you go to the Dexcom site it will tell you which phones are compatible 🙂 I suspect if you had the screen on 24/7 on your phone a very flat battery would be the result. I had a receiver for the G6 and you had to press a button to show the reading so no dif to a phone in that sense.
Edited to add, try asking your team to prescribe the G7 for you, point out that as you take Creon due to inconsistency of meal digestion your blood sugars can and do plummet at a rate of Notts so you feel safer having the warnings from the sensors 🙂 My motto is if you don't ask you don't get.

Last edited:
Do you get the option of lock screen ‘widgets’ on Android?

That’s my almost-always-on option for G6 on iOS, and can display level, arrow and 3hr trace when the phone is still locked.

Click to wake the display and swipe left to see the Widget (its the only one I have, but there are heaps you can download).

It’s a little like lock screen notifications, but just needs a swipe left to see it.

1691391911374.png

There is a lock screen widget for g6 on android, i use it, its 'quick glance', but it seems to not be available on g7

Thank you @Pumper_Sue. I'm a strong believer in the principle of try asking .. but if I can demonstrate that the G7 is also "right for me" then that might help as well.

Thank you @Tdm and @everydayupsanddowns, great ideas so far not found a compatible locks creon, still exploring. The tech is both fascinating and yet frustrating - so many "concealed" permutations and so easy to get lost in a warren of rabbit holes.

Hallo to all

I have only just joined but have looked at the forum for a very long time.

I even used to get the 1st sort of version of it when it was in a paper form & called “Balance”. Have had Diabetes for about 50 years.

Have just been changed from Libre 2 to Dexcom G7 & need a bit of help please

Could any tell me does the G7 receiver allow you to enter data i.e. the carbs & insulin taken at meal times. Need to input this for my Hosp Diabetic clinic.

But would really prefer to use my xdrip for all the Alarms etc. or would I just be better to buy a cheap 2nd hand phone to input data & have it send info to “Dexcom Clarity” for the clinic
any help please

Welcome @Peat. 🙂 I don’t bother entering any of that, but I’ve checked my G7 receiver and under Events, you can indeed log Meals. It asks you for the carbs, etc.You can also log Insulin and Blood Glucose🙂

thank you that's a help. I’m not bothered about recording it ether but it’s part of getting the G7 that I have to record it
again thank you

Hallo to all

I have only just joined but have looked at the forum for a very long time.

I even used to get the 1st sort of version of it when it was in a paper form & called “Balance”. Have had Diabetes for about 50 years.

Have just been changed from Libre 2 to Dexcom G7 & need a bit of help please

Could any tell me does the G7 receiver allow you to enter data i.e. the carbs & insulin taken at meal times. Need to input this for my Hosp Diabetic clinic.

But would really prefer to use my xdrip for all the Alarms etc. or would I just be better to buy a cheap 2nd hand phone to input data & have it send info to “Dexcom Clarity” for the clinic
any help please
I use xDrip on a used Sony Xperia with no SIM as a Dexcom (G7) share follower, mainly because the alerts are more useful to me at night. So xDrip is definitely an option for you.
I also use Sugarmate on my iPhone to get my blood sugar on my Apple Watch, as I find the Dexcom Apple Watch app a little unreliable.

Thank you for the info at £250 for a receiver.

A 2nd hand phone looks to be the only way I can go and I really miss xDrip for its alarms it’s a lot better

Thank you for the info at £250 for a receiver.

A 2nd hand phone looks to be the only way I can go and I really miss xDrip for its alarms it’s a lot better
If you are prescribed the G7 then the hospital should provide the receiver.

Already asked when the Diabetic clinic set up the G7 they said a receiver would costs about 250 pounds & for the same money we can get (buy) 5 Dexcom one receivers

So I’m sorry but we cannot afford to get them at this time we only supply Dexcom one receivers.

At 1st taken off Libre 2 to go on Libre 3 then told still no funding available yet & put on Dexcom one.
But it would not give me any readings any ware near correct so consultant said to try G7

You are correct @Pumper_Sue - the Receiver should be provided. But in S Bucks Dexcom Receivers are not (or were not 4 weeks ago - could be changing, but .. ) part of the local Formulary. Libre 2 Readers are, but Dexcom Receivers are not, neither for the more reasonable priced Dex One @£60 nor the very expensive G7 Receiver at £250.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back