Frustrated partner

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would typical meals be for him at the moment, as we may have some suggestions
A typical day would be toast to have with his metformin at about 7oclock followed by some biscuits. Then a bacon sandwich about 9am. Then sleep Then for Lunch he will have a doorstep cut sandwich either egg or ham with crisps at about 1pm. Then sleep then have chips and a chicken burger or just plain burger. Usually about 6pm watch television till 9pm then go to bed. Sometimes have a pudding or cake about 8pm. But I am making sure that I don't buy cakes and puddings. If I want anything healthy, I have to cook it myself, but he will only eat what he cooks.

That’s a lot of carbs - and a lot of sleeping @Wheelybin Do you think he would eat the bacon without bread? Maybe with some tomatoes or mushrooms? Would he have an open sandwich for lunch - ie one slice of bread plus ham or eggs? Would he have some homemade soup? Just trying to think of small changes you could make that wouldn’t turn him against the idea.

A typical day would be toast to have with his metformin at about 7oclock followed by some biscuits. Then a bacon sandwich about 9am. Then sleep Then for Lunch he will have a doorstep cut sandwich either egg or ham with crisps at about 1pm. Then sleep then have chips and a chicken burger or just plain burger. Usually about 6pm watch television till 9pm then go to bed. Sometimes have a pudding or cake about 8pm. But I am making sure that I don't buy cakes and puddings. If I want anything healthy, I have to cook it myself, but he will only eat what he cooks.
Is there any reason why he could not have the bacon and egg with 1 slice of toast for breakfast instead of essentially 2 high carb breakfasts. Restricting the bread to one slice with ham and cheese without the crisps or the ham and cheese with no bread but have the crisps.
Reducing the amount of chips and ditch the bun from the burger. good quality burgers should be low carb but cheap ones will have cereal to bulk them up so make them higher carb. High meat content sausages are pretty low carb usually only 2g carb per sausage.
It sounds as if he gets no exercise and so much sleeping (tiredness is a sign of high blood glucose) is not good.
Does he not work?

That is so tough to see your partner not engage with managing his diabetes @Wheelybin

High blood sugar doesn't necessarily stop us in our tracks unlike low blood sugar. You can go on for a while feeling really rough, exhausted, cramps, lethargy, low mood etc. Diabetes doesn't ignore us however much we try to ignore it. I carried on driving, working, thinking I was ok even though I felt wretched until one day diabetes complications really did take over my life.

The effort needed to engage in finding a better way to manage blood sugar by adapting diet, reducing carbs, taking medication if necessary, testing blood sugar is nothing in comparison to dealing with devastating life changing complications that can hit out of the blue. If I was offered the option to make some changes, engage with others who were trying to support me over the alternative I would invest in self care in a heartbeat. At the point complications hit I tried to back pedal as fast as I could, I'd have done anything to undo the damage but that time had passed by.

The HbA1c test result of 75mmol/mol (I'm guessing that 75 is an HbA1c result) converts roughly to an average fingerstick blood test of 11.7 mmol/L
This is the advice for Type 2 diabetes

If you have type 2 diabetes

• before meals: 4 to 7mmol/l
  • two hours after meals: less than 8.5mmol/l
I hope he starts to take some care soon, no one can make him do it and high blood sugar doesn't put you in a mindset to want to do anything. That initial push to make a start is hard but as soon as you start to engage and feel a bit better you realise how utterly grim you have been feeling.

Wishing you well.

That’s a lot of carbs - and a lot of sleeping @Wheelybin Do you think he would eat the bacon without bread? Maybe with some tomatoes or mushrooms? Would he have an open sandwich for lunch - ie one slice of bread plus ham or eggs? Would he have some homemade soup? Just trying to think of small changes you could make that wouldn’t turn him against the idea.
Bread is his downfall, he can't seem to do without it. But today has been a turning point, little steps, but I refused to mention anything diabetes related, he has had brown bread toast today, chips and a chicken burger, and then more toast. But we have been out a lot. No sleep and doesn't seem so tired and looks lot better. So fingers crossed, I can steer him on right path. I have made a note of these suggestions tho.

That is so tough to see your partner not engage with managing his diabetes @Wheelybin

High blood sugar doesn't necessarily stop us in our tracks unlike low blood sugar. You can go on for a while feeling really rough, exhausted, cramps, lethargy, low mood etc. Diabetes doesn't ignore us however much we try to ignore it. I carried on driving, working, thinking I was ok even though I felt wretched until one day diabetes complications really did take over my life.

The effort needed to engage in finding a better way to manage blood sugar by adapting diet, reducing carbs, taking medication if necessary, testing blood sugar is nothing in comparison to dealing with devastating life changing complications that can hit out of the blue. If I was offered the option to make some changes, engage with others who were trying to support me over the alternative I would invest in self care in a heartbeat. At the point complications hit I tried to back pedal as fast as I could, I'd have done anything to undo the damage but that time had passed by.

The HbA1c test result of 75mmol/mol (I'm guessing that 75 is an HbA1c result) converts roughly to an average fingerstick blood test of 11.7 mmol/L
This is the advice for Type 2 diabetes

If you have type 2 diabetes

• before meals: 4 to 7mmol/l
  • two hours after meals: less than 8.5mmol/l
I hope he starts to take some care soon, no one can make him do it and high blood sugar doesn't put you in a mindset to want to do anything. That initial push to make a start is hard but as soon as you start to engage and feel a bit better you realise how utterly grim you have been feeling.

Wishing you well.
Thank you, I am wondering if doctor has had a stern word of warning with him, as he seems to have a slightly different mindset today, and does seem in a better mood, and I haven't mentioned anything about it, so fingers crossed and hope it's not too late. I am so sorry for your struggles, it must be so hard for you, but you take care.

Hi @Wheelybin. I have been sat here reading your posts and after some thought I decided I would post a comment coming at things from a very different angle. I am a carer for somebody with eating problems and I know other carers who care for someone whose behaviour is irrational in anybody's eyes but their own. I can absolutely assure you that they all are as frustrated as you. Only somebody who has been in that position knows just how hard it is. There is no simple way forward. You will get lots of advice which in your heart you know cannot be applied. Things are not that simple.

My experience would suggest that your husband has to work out for himself that he needs to change his behaviour. Human nature is such that that might not come easily. Nagging and trying to change his diet by force is unlikely to do much other than cutting communication.

Your last two posts suggest that he might be getting it and your thought that seeing the GP might have had something to do with it is a good one. Some of the harder truths come better from a third party, especially if they are skilled in delivering them, rather than someone close.

My thought for you is that continue as you are, reinforcing better food choices without making too much fuss about it. Go for lots of small gains. Be a bit sneaky. For example, when it comes to bread, start looking at low carb breads and introduce it as another 'brown bread'. Try 'French fries' rather than chips, you get a bigger pile from less potato - its why Macdonald's sell them. When you are shopping, think flavour rather than quantity and pick lower carb versions of prepared foods if you buy them, without making any fuss about it.

Take time and one day you might get the thank-you that you deserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back