Frozen Shoulder and restless in bed tossing and turning all night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your reply silent squirrel. Do you sleep in a recliner chair.?
I would if I had one, but just a very comfy large armchair with a high, supportive back and a large footstool with rugs and a pillow on top. If my chair dies before me I will consider replacing with a recliner, but a couple of cheap ones I have had in the past have collapsed quite quickly, obviously need to aim at better quality!

I would if I had one, but just a very comfy large armchair with a high, supportive back and a large footstool with rugs and a pillow on top. If my chair dies before me I will consider replacing with a recliner, but a couple of cheap ones I have had in the past have collapsed quite quickly, obviously need to aim at better quality!
You can sometimes get them cheaper second hand or from charity shops which do furniture as they acquire them when they do a house clearance.

You can sometimes get them cheaper second hand or from charity shops which do furniture as they acquire them when they do a house clearance.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I am very happy with my existing chair - no room for an addition, so it would have to be a replacement. My chair is the thing I miss most on holiday!

We only have two sofas in our living room so I probably wouldn't get the same amount of support as with your chair, silent squirrel, which sounds lovely.

I currently have my second frozen shoulder (left side am left handed) after being diagnosed type 2 about 17 months ago. Much worse than first frozen shoulder (right shoulder) diagnosed just before Type 2 diagnosis. Also have trigger thumb on right hand for the last few weeks. Current frozen shoulder started about 7 months ago. Dull ache during day, pain at night seems to be getting worse. I haven't read about anyone else with problems of restlessness. I will lie on my back then 30 seconds later turn to left side which hurts, then after 30 seconds turn on to right hand side for 30 seconds then back on to my back for 30 seconds etc. I like sleeping on my stomach but can't do this. I am constantly rubbing my left arm/shoulder. My husband thinks I am also doing this in my sleep. I do get some sleep but pain is worse after sleeping. I seem to spend all night tossing and turning like this and am exhausted. Last night was the first night my husband went to another room to get some much needed sleep. Has anyone else had these symptoms with a frozen shoulder. I do not suffer from restless legs.
Sorry to hear about this. Frozen Shoulder is usually more associated with Type 1 and its a collagen issue, glucose attached to the collagen makes it 'sticky'. A T1 friend of mine had injections for it.

Thank you Burylancs for your reply. That's interesting about frozen shoulder being more associated with Type 1. I had heard the term 'Frozen Shoulder' but had no idea what it actually was, a bit like 'Tennis Elbow'.

Thank you Burylancs for your reply. That's interesting about frozen shoulder being more associated with Type 1. I had heard the term 'Frozen Shoulder' but had no idea what it actually was, a bit like 'Tennis Elbow'.
My GP seemed very sure that frozen shoulder was more associated with diabetes (type unspecified) than with the general population.

I have read that an underactive/overactive thyroid is also associated with frozen shoulder.

@Easedale - my old GP was extremely truthful about frozen shoulders for people with diabetes generally. Non diabetic - takes 6 month ish to go through the stages of them. Approx 2 months starting and gradually getting worse, 2 months of agony and 2 months of gradually getting better until they're over it. With us lot it's the same EXCEPT the process takes 18 months in 6 month tranches. Steroid jab is worth trying cos sometimes they work so when that relief starts wearing off, worth trying another. So I tried one. No difference. So, you could try physio. OK then, I will. Turned out I hadn't got a frozen shoulder at all.

Thank you trophywench for your reply. My frozen shoulder was diagnosed by an NHS physiotherapist. How long did it take for you to get a correct diagnosis.?

My frozen shoulder was diagnosed by an NHS physiotherapist
I too was being steered towards frozen shoulder when exercise didn't work. I think the issue is that a PT can only make an educated guess based on your presentation & their training. The next step, as I suggested previously, is imaging to actually see what is going on with the soft tissue. That imaging also forms part of ensuring that any steroid injection is correctly targeted for maximum effect on the inflamed tissue.

@RBZ5416, I suspect the only way I would get an imaging scan would be to go privately. I have the restrictions in movement that occur with frozen shoulder, difficulty washing and brushing hair, putting on or taking off a coat, getting dressed/undressed etc.

It maybe worth listing the things that your frozen shoulder is restricting you from doing as it may be surprising what it is that triggers extra assistance/analysis.
I once had an issue with my leg which made it hard or me to walk far. However, "far" for me is further than a mile so it was of little interest to the GP. He then asked if it affected my driving. I explained that it hurt when I changed gear. With that he referred me. The thing is, I very rarely drive because I walk everywhere (but I wasn't going to tell him that once I got the referral) so my initial comments were affecting my quality of life much more than the driving.

So my advice would be to think of the impact of your frozen shoulder in terms of quality of life for a "typical person". Does it stop you going out, driving, catching the bus, working, cooking, ...?

I suspect the only way I would get an imaging scan would be to go privately.
I can't imagine why, there should be a referral option to MSK either from physio or your GP.

I have the restrictions in movement that occur with frozen shoulder, difficulty washing and brushing hair, putting on or taking off a coat, getting dressed/undressed etc.
Same here, even MSK thought so after a physical exam but the ultrasound showed otherwise. The steroid injections eased it sufficiently to allow exercise & it's now largely a thing of the past. There's a little underlying arthritis in the joint but at it's worst I couldn't sleep or raise my arm above my shoulder.

Thank you Helli. The pain has only increased in the last few weeks. The main problem I have is lack of sleep so I can't sit down to read or watch TV as I would just fall asleep. I've just had an email asking me to book next blood test and also fill in forms about self monitoring if I am able to. Not sure what this means. I will contact my GP if the pain continues to get worse.

@RBZ5416. Thank you. I will contact my GP for a referral to MSK if the pain continues to get worse. I could also take painkillers on a more regular basis.

I had frozen shoulder about 2 years ago. I just gave it rest and it went away eventually. I also had pain in my right elbow which meant it was too painful to use the mouse and again needed to just not use the right arm. I then had to change my set up to start using my left hand to operate the mouse. Basically taught myself to go from right-handed to left. And I'm still using my left.

Thank you for your reply RichardsUsername. I find handwriting difficult with my painful left shoulder but ok with a mouse. That's clever teaching yourself to be left handed. !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back