Frozen Shoulder and restless in bed tossing and turning all night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easedale

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I currently have my second frozen shoulder (left side am left handed) after being diagnosed type 2 about 17 months ago. Much worse than first frozen shoulder (right shoulder) diagnosed just before Type 2 diagnosis. Also have trigger thumb on right hand for the last few weeks. Current frozen shoulder started about 7 months ago. Dull ache during day, pain at night seems to be getting worse. I haven't read about anyone else with problems of restlessness. I will lie on my back then 30 seconds later turn to left side which hurts, then after 30 seconds turn on to right hand side for 30 seconds then back on to my back for 30 seconds etc. I like sleeping on my stomach but can't do this. I am constantly rubbing my left arm/shoulder. My husband thinks I am also doing this in my sleep. I do get some sleep but pain is worse after sleeping. I seem to spend all night tossing and turning like this and am exhausted. Last night was the first night my husband went to another room to get some much needed sleep. Has anyone else had these symptoms with a frozen shoulder. I do not suffer from restless legs.

In some places you can self refer to nhs physiotherapy and you can talk to your gp about pain relief. If you’re a woman in peri/menopause it can be worth getting on oestrogen as the natural drop makes us more prone to things like frozen shoulder. Any chronic pain that is stopping you from sleeping deserves treatment

Sorry to read that you are suffering so much discomfort and disturbed sleep. I can't speak from any experience but I wonder what your BG levels are like? How well managed is your diabetes as being restless in bed is certainly symptomatic of high BG levels and the frozen shoulder and trigger finger are also linked to diabetes so just wondering if you may need more support with your diabetes management than you are currently getting.
Are you taking any medication to help with pain relief for your shoulder?

In some places you can self refer to nhs physiotherapy and you can talk to your gp about pain relief. If you’re a woman in peri/menopause it can be worth getting on oestrogen as the natural drop makes us more prone to things like frozen shoulder. Any chronic pain that is stopping you from sleeping deserves treatment
Thank you for your reply Thebearcame too. I have had some NHS physiotherapy and have been given exercises to do but they don't seem to help. and take paracetemol. GP has also prescribed codeine but I haven't taken any yet. I'm 67 so well past menopause and coped well without HRT.

Thank you for your reply rebrascora. Since diagnosis my hba1c scores have been 100 (Sept 2022) 53 (Feb 2023) 48 August 2023. I am due another test this month. Also test at home but now only when having new food. Score is 8 at highest two hours after food. Not counting carbs but no potatoes, rice, pasta, bread. Eat dark chocolate as treat and berries and greek yoghurt. On Metformin and Atorvastatin. I am taking Paracetemol for my shoulder pain but only at night. Over last few months have put on 1kg.

Sorry to hear about your frozen shoulders. Both of mine have been frozen, there really isn’t anything worse in my opinion. I tossed and turned too, couldn’t get comfy. It was dreadful. I had steroid injections which did help a bit, Tramodol for the pain, but do make you drowsy. I’ve had acupuncture, massages, manipulation, all privately done. I tried a TENS machine, heat pad, frozen peas, turmeric oil and Chinese pine oil! You name it I’ve tried it. Nothing cures it, as you know you have to wait it out. But the above may give some relief. If you can, try taking ibuprofen along side the paracetamol. Good luck.

I have been suffering with my shoulders for a while and went to the GP who has diagnosed arthritis and rotator cuff damage in both shoulders which causes pain which is worse at night. I am taking Naproxen which I am dubious that it is helping with the addition of paracetamol. I have found I can only sleep more of less sitting up and any other way is agony.
I have tried a TENS, helps a bit, a massaging shoulder thing, helps a bit. Voltorol gel, helps a bit. I am waiting for physio and thinking of going to a chiropractor. I sympathise.

Thank you eggyg for your reply. You have certainly tried lots of different things to help.! I do have a heat pad and ibuprofen gel which helps a bit. I suppose I am worried that the restlessness will continue after the pain has gone.

Thank you for your reply Leadinglights. Will the rotator cuff damage get better with time. ? How was your arthritis diagnosed if you don't mind me asking. ? I have a V pillow which I use for reading in bed but I would find it difficult to sleep upright. I hope the chiropractor and physiotherapy will help.

Thank you for your reply Leadinglights. Will the rotator cuff damage get better with time. ? How was your arthritis diagnosed if you don't mind me asking. ? I have a V pillow which I use for reading in bed but I would find it difficult to sleep upright. I hope the chiropractor and physiotherapy will help.
I had x-rays on both shoulders from which the GP made the diagnosis. I am hoping the rotator cuff issue will get better with the physio as all my hobbies involve lots of arm movement, church bellringing, gardening, cutting glass for my stained glass work. I was thinking of trying a V pillow. Sleeping is not helped by other half snoring :(
I'm sure the rotator cuff problem is from spending 3 months on crutches after an accident when I ruptured my patellar tendon which needed surgery so I have needed to be putting a lot more strain on the shoulders and still am as the knee still gives trouble.

Last edited:
That is an interesting range of hobbies so I hope you will get better with physio. We have a big fruit and vegetable garden although rhubarb and gooseberries have been dug up since my diabetes diagnosis. My V pillow came without a pillowcase but some do have a pillowcase supplied.

That is an interesting range of hobbies so I hope you will get better with physio. We have a big fruit and vegetable garden although rhubarb and gooseberries have been dug up since my diabetes diagnosis. My V pillow came without a pillowcase but some do have a pillowcase supplied.
Why did you dig up your rhubarb and gooseberries, they are both low carb fruits, I have them all the time when in season, freeze the gooseberries for use on Greek yoghurt for breakfast and cook the rhubarb with ginger and a bit of sweetener and have with cream or make crumbles with the topping made from low sugar granola, ground almonds and butter.

I used to make jam so used a lot of sugar. I like the sound of your crumble topping. I didn't realise both gooseberries and rhubarb are low carb.

If physio hasn't helped see if you can get a referral to MSK (musculorskeletal). I had a painful shoulder for best part of a year that exercise just made worse. Like you it was interrupting sleep. MSK sent me for ultrasound that diagnosed mild arthritis & inflamed bursar. A couple of steroid injection later & a dedicated shoulder exercise class back at physio & it's largely subsided.

Thank you for your reply RBZ5416 and thank you for your advice. I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to needles. It's great that you have had a good outcome.

I currently have my second frozen shoulder (left side am left handed) after being diagnosed type 2 about 17 months ago. Much worse than first frozen shoulder (right shoulder) diagnosed just before Type 2 diagnosis. Also have trigger thumb on right hand for the last few weeks. Current frozen shoulder started about 7 months ago. Dull ache during day, pain at night seems to be getting worse. I haven't read about anyone else with problems of restlessness. I will lie on my back then 30 seconds later turn to left side which hurts, then after 30 seconds turn on to right hand side for 30 seconds then back on to my back for 30 seconds etc. I like sleeping on my stomach but can't do this. I am constantly rubbing my left arm/shoulder. My husband thinks I am also doing this in my sleep. I do get some sleep but pain is worse after sleeping. I seem to spend all night tossing and turning like this and am exhausted. Last night was the first night my husband went to another room to get some much needed sleep. Has anyone else had these symptoms with a frozen shoulder. I do not suffer from restless legs.

Sorry to hear that! My dad has frozen shoulder and I know how painful it can be (Not-So-Fun Fact: It's in the top 10 most painful medical conditions/illnesses).
Are you on decent pain meds? I'd imagine that pain is a big part in keeping you awake. I have severe chronic pain (pancreatitis, two herniated disks, neuropathy, osteoarthritis) and if I run out of morphine my sleep is almost non-existent.
I'd possibly disagree with your husband (unless he has SEEN you doing it in your sleep a lot of course). Frozen shoulder pain actually gets worse the less you use the shoulder and tends to hurt more after long periods (long meaning multiple hours) of disuse as it stiffens up even worse. Obviously MOVING it is the most painful thing in terms of acute pain, but in general not moving it is overall worse. Like, I have osteoarthritis in my knees and they're worst when I first wake up. And my doctor has me walking up to the end of my street and back every time I go for a cigarette to have me using them for frequent but short and mild exercise.

Thank you for your reply Austin_98. Sorry to hear that you have chronic pain.
I'm not on decent pain meds (paracetomol which takes the edge off the pain) but I think the pain from frozen shoulder will end, hopefully fairly soon. I try to stay active during the day so it is just at night when the pain is at it's worst.

My wife had three frozen shoulders (one came back). The consultant finally prescribed Amitriptyline which worked quite well. Avoid long-term use of ibuprofen as this is suspected as being the cause of her damaged kidneys; all NASAIDs need to be used with care. In many cases steroid injections don't work but some GPs think they are a magic cure. It's a very difficult condition but does eventually clear-up.

I rarely sleep in bed these days, I find I usually manage much longer unbroken sleep in a comfy chair with my feet up than in a bed.

Thank you for your reply DaveB. Your poor wife having suffered three frozen shoulders. I rarely take ibuprofen. How is your wife now.? I think I would only have a steroid injection if there was a high rate of success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back