Frio Wallet - over soaked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's not what I said..... Yes you can take a Frio wallet on a plane but activate ( soak it) after you go through security for ease and to avoid awkward questions or interrogation. You might still have to explain what it is though.

that's not what I said..... Yes you can take a Frio wallet on a plane but activate ( soak it) after you go through security for ease and to avoid awkward questions or interrogation. You might still have to explain what it is though.
How best to activate it in an airport? It requires soaking and towel drying usually, doesn't seem the most practical thing to be doing ... Sorry for misunderstanding but are you saying you could take it pre-soaked but you'd probably be quizzed endlessly by security? Again, apologies if I've just missed the point!

No worries. .. From experience I usually activate mine when I get to my destination to avoid awkward questions at security but it is up to you.

No worries. .. From experience I usually activate mine when I get to my destination to avoid awkward questions at security but it is up to you.
Thanks. Just thinking I've got a long haul flight and would rather keep my insulin cool for it, will have a think about what to do.

How about taking a flannel in hand luggage and once through security grab a pint glass of water from the bar and charge your Frio from here. dry it off with said flannel. Just a thought ..

I always have to pre-soak before security as we live so far from any large airport that we travel up the day before we fly. We are frequent travelers and I've never once been asked about it in 20+ years. I think @Piglet has been unlucky. Was it by any chance Manchester airport?

To avoid any issues at the airport, i always activate my Frio at the destination before going out for a walk in the heat of the day.
I keep my insulin insulated with a sweater in my hand luggage. Airplanes and coaches have never been very hot as they are usually air conditioned and insulin is fine up to 30 degrees.
In an emergency, I have soaked a Frio in a cup of water by rolling it up. I have never needed a towel. My Frio are old but they came with cases that protect anything from the water.
I have a work trip to Dubai next week. As I will be in or transitioning between air-conditioning all the time, I will not be bothering with Frio.

Last edited:
I've taken my frio to the loos in the departure lounge post security, and soaked them in a wash basin, on an occasion when I knew I’d be straight out into the heat at the other end.

Incidentally, going back to the original post, I've never thought of the amount of time the frio soaks, just the amount of water needed to get it to the optimum state. At home I use a pyrex dish and fill it to a level I know from experience will be enough. If it's not then I just add a little more water.

I undersoaked the week before last when in a tent. Nothing like as effective at cooling until I’d fattened it up a little. The instructions in the leaflet with mine only said something like 8-10 minutes, which was probably a bit cautious with one that has been used a couple of times.

Very effective once nicely plump though - even though the tent was punishingly hot with not a scrap of shade within reach!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back