Freestyle Sensors Reading too High!

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, what are JBs??
Jelly Babies. They are a common hypo treatment but you may use something else like Dextrose or orange juice or ...
Personally, as a vegetarian, I avoid JBs (the veggies ones are as expensive as Dextrose). Plus, I found sweets were too tempting for others so my stash might dwindle.
But I have got used to JB being the forum abbreviation for "hypo treatment of choice" (with a hidden/silent J and a hidden/silent B)

Jelly Babies. They are a common hypo treatment but you may use something else like Dextrose or orange juice or ...
Personally, as a vegetarian, I avoid JBs (the veggies ones are as expensive as Dextrose). Plus, I found sweets were too tempting for others so my stash might dwindle.
But I have got used to JB being the forum abbreviation for "hypo treatment of choice" (with a hidden/silent J and a hidden/silent B)
Yes I have dextrose, orange juice & fruit pastilles- the veggie version!

Hi, I have recently come back to using sensors. Following a couple of serious Hypos I have been checking with my Accu Check Mobile fingerpricks & have discovered that the sensors are reading 2 units too hi. Has anyone else found this please? I am really struggling to get things on track.
Thank you!
All the time, at least 1 out at bottom, 4 at top end. Was just about to correct for 11.5, finger prick 8.5, and that was on an upward trajectory, so not 20 mins behind, just plain wrong. Even had one that was a random number generator 2, 10, 5, 3. Sent last 2 back went 4 out all the time day 9. Keep going hypo because believe the numbers, drs won't give me test strips as "you don't need them on libra"...

drs won't give me test strips as "you don't need them on libra"...
If you are based in the UK, you need test strips if ou are treated with medication (such as insulin) which may cause hypos.
It is a DVLA requirement to carry test strips when driving even though they accept CGM readings. The DVLA recognises that CGMs can fail so why doesn't your GP.
Even Abbott have updated their advertising to say it does not replace all finger pricking.
The Diabetes UK helpline may be able to assist if your GP is being stubborn. Their number is on the top of the page.

I'm having this problem alot more so iv gone back to finger pricking my bloods are between 7-10 and the freestyle libre saying 14-16 and rising fast even though 15-30 mins later my blood test still about the same and it's not coming down to my actual blood level, I know a1c blood test will reveal I'm not having hypers but it's false highs on the libre data which is now making me very anxious and i don't trust it any more, thinking of coming off it all together as I'm doing more blood test just to make sure. Just go back to the old but truthful way.

I'm having this problem alot more so iv gone back to finger pricking my bloods are between 7-10 and the freestyle libre saying 14-16 and rising fast even though 15-30 mins later my blood test still about the same and it's not coming down to my actual blood level, I know a1c blood test will reveal I'm not having hypers but it's false highs on the libre data which is now making me very anxious and i don't trust it any more, thinking of coming off it all together as I'm doing more blood test just to make sure. Just go back to the old but truthful way.

Thing is with libre it doesn't work for everyone, consultant mentioned this before using one myself.

You could ask if Dexcom is available in your clinic, although liked Libre find Dexcom to be much better overall.

Hello @Nattiemac,
You've latched onto a thread from almost 12 months ago; nothing wrong with that - it just had been dormant.

You will have way way more experience with this D malarkey than I probably will never accumulate! When I started with Libre 2 I struggled with sensor reliability (not lasting 7 days never mind 14) and poor accuracy. I tolerated this because it was still, for me, better than fps in terms of broadly knowing where my bg was and despite nos sometimes being way adrift the trend arrows and the graph left me far better informed than being without any CGM. Gradually I realised that I was unlucky and my >50% failure rate (which Abbott always replaced) was my body being incompatible with L2.

Once the revised NICE Guidelines for CGMs were revised in spring 2022 I eventually got myself switched to Dexcom One, an alternative but nominally equal cost CGM now supported by NG17 from NICE. This was an improvement but still far from ideal. In spring '23 I self-funded the more expensive Dexcom G7 and found a far better system with sustained accuracy and great sensor reliability (I've had 5 app failures, demanding a factory reset, which is a bore! But after the first occurrence I convinced Dexcom to provide me with a Receiver, their equivalent of the Libre Reader that works regardless of the app behaviour.). I now know that there is a CGM that will give me reliable results that don't need fps to confirm what is displayed AND I now realise just how stressful it used to be before.

I know that you have great confidence, after 36 yrs (!), in managing yourself from "the old but truthful way". But do at least try the Dexcom One and see if that would help you better; it is totally within the gift of your GP to change your prescription at no extra cost to the prescribing budget. Dex One uses a series of 10 day sensors with a 90 day transmitter - so that's a bit different to the 14 day L2 package; and Dex One can be calibrated if it gets a bit adrift. I'm not sure any calibration will cover a huge difference between sensor and real bg.

Otherwise if Dex One is not good enough consider self-funding a month's worth of Dexcom G7, more expensive than Libre and seeing if that works for you. G7 is similar to L2 in that you get a standalone sensor (but 10 days rather than 14) which is binned after 10 days. Whereas the order Dex G6 is not only bigger, but is a 10 day sensor that needs a 90 day transmitter to be used with it. While it's about the same price of G7 it is not a use and throwaway system so not at all cost effective for less than a 90 day trial.

Don't give up just yet - I found a CGM that really does work with my body and I'd like to think there is something out there for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back