Freestyle Libre V3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Libre 3 is a CGM just as Libre 2 is. It has been approved by the NHS and is available on prescription. It costs no more than the Libre 2 but has better clinical outcomes.

I had missed that Libre 2 is CGM as I don't tend to view it as such as it requires manual use all of the time (you have to keep manually scanning).

I just don't get the delay given that it costs no more than Libre 2, but is smaller, hopefully less painful to apply and has better clinical outcomes.

10 days on the Dexcom G7 has shown us just how useful this tech is in controlling my daughters levels. She also likes that it is smaller (she is 14 so appearance matters) and doesn't hurt as much to put on. We used to have good results using the Libre v1 and the Miao Miao, but she didn't like how bulky it was (anyone want a Miao Miao?).

What is most frustrating is that in other CCGs the Libre V3 has been approved.
Libre 3 is a real time CGM, Libre 2 is an intermittently scanned CGM. It is not available on prescription, only through supply chains. It is not the same cost as Libre 2, it is more expensive.
The Libre 3 is not a direct replacement for the Libre 2 in the same way the Libre 2 replaced the Libre.
There's plans on the Libre 3 connecting to some pumps, so it's likely to only be used in those using these pumps and other specific circumstances

Not really. I don't understand why the Dexcom One should be approved and not the G7. Again, they are the same cost. The difference is that the G7 is smaller and better, with improved clinical outcomes. There is no point moving to an inferior product.

The LIbre 2 is good, but the Libre 3 is better. We should be using the newest tech not having to wait for years whilst some group sits around picking their noses. If there is no additional cost, it is a no brainer. Why would you not get the latest product?
The G7 is significantly more expensive than the Dexcom One

I hope you're right. According to something I read elsewhere apparently it is more expensive for Abbott to make the Libre 2 than it is the Libre 3. If true, it makes commercial sense for Abbott to move people over to the Libre 3, like they have in Germany.

I just hope the high/low glucose alarms work more often on the Libre 3 than they do on the Libre 2. Am having issues at the moment not receiving high/low Libre 2 alarms on Librelink app and now my Libre 2 Reader. And I'm conscious the Libre 3 is essentially a miniaturised version of the Libre 2.

I will be going on the libra 3 after Christmas if I had checked my email.it would have been today I have hypo unawareness so the alarms are crucial to my well being I can go to.bed with bg the teens and have a hypo thus alarms are so important for me

I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I don't believe I can report my difficulties to the MHRA under the MHRA's Yellow Card Scheme because my understanding is I have not - so far - had an "adverse effect," such as severe hypoglycaemia that needed the assistance of someone else to treat it. My understanding is that the MHRA only seem to be interested in serious, catastrophic (or near catastrophic) events.

I have reported verbally and in writing to my diabetes clinicians the difficulties I have had with Freestyle Librelink with no high/low glucose alarms on my mobile over the last two months.

I hope others have done so too.

Of course, I have no idea whether my clinicians will report my concerns to NHS England, nor whether NHS England will actually do anything.
I think failures of Libre sensors and problems with alarms etc could and should be reported through the MHRA system as it does cover
Medical devices (including software, apps and artificial intelligence)

I think failures of Libre sensors and problems with alarms etc could and should be reported through the MHRA system as it does cover
Medical devices (including software, apps and artificial intelligence)
I stand corrected @Leadinglights. Thank you.

I didn't doubt that the sensors, computer software and artificial intelligence when used in the diagnosis or treatment of illness falls squarely within the meaning of "medical device." My uncertainty stemmed from whether what I have experienced using the Librelink app (not receiving high/low glucose alarms to allow me to double check and if necessary treat hypoglycaemia/hyperglycaemia; frequent false scan error notifications) fell within the meaning of an "adverse event."

However after doing a little more research, the MHRA website says: "an adverse incident is an event that caused, or almost caused, an injury to a patient or other person, or a wrong or delayed diagnosis and treatment of a patient." The MHRA give - amongst others - the helpful examples of "a faulty batch of test strips for a blood glucose meter giving wrong readings" and "quality issues that impact safety."

So it seems clear I (and others) can report what has happened without having to wait until we experience serious/catastrophic/near catastrophic hypoglycaemic/hyperglycaemic events.

I will be going on the libra 3 after Christmas if I had checked my email.it would have been today I have hypo unawareness so the alarms are crucial to my well being I can go to.bed with bg the teens and have a hypo thus alarms are so important for me

Hope you get on well with it @christine.h

Let us know how you get on 🙂

I’m awaiting a pump clinic appointment in Feb when I’ll raise the question of G6 on the NHS. Like G7 and Libre 3 it’s on a different pathway to Libre 2 (which by the time I had on prescription I’d moved on to needing Medtronic G3 or Dex G6 to integrate with my pump. 🙄

But yes, Libre 3 isn’t available on prescription, it goes through the same NHS procurement system as insulin pumps and various rtCGM

Our diabetic centre is amazing and so are the nurses and that is why I am going on the Libra 3 eventually all type 1 hopefully will be on the cgm linked to the pump this is the plan the hospital is just waiting for the funding it is the best diabetic team I have had

Libre 3 is a CGM just as Libre 2 is. It has been approved by the NHS and is available on prescription. It costs no more than the Libre 2 but has better clinical outcomes.

I had missed that Libre 2 is CGM as I don't tend to view it as such as it requires manual use all of the time (you have to keep manually scanning).

I just don't get the delay given that it costs no more than Libre 2, but is smaller, hopefully less painful to apply and has better clinical outcomes.

10 days on the Dexcom G7 has shown us just how useful this tech is in controlling my daughters levels. She also likes that it is smaller (she is 14 so appearance matters) and doesn't hurt as much to put on. We used to have good results using the Libre v1 and the Miao Miao, but she didn't like how bulky it was (anyone want a Miao Miao?).

What is most frustrating is that in other CCGs the Libre V3 has been approved.
I think you will find that the libre 2 is a flash glucose monitor ( fgm ) and the Libre 3 is a continuous glucose monitor ( cgm ) , although you can make the Libre2 into a cgm using 3rd party apps.

Last edited:
Libre 3 is a real time CGM, Libre 2 is an intermittently scanned CGM. It is not available on prescription, only through supply chains. It is not the same cost as Libre 2, it is more expensive.
The Libre 3 is not a direct replacement for the Libre 2 in the same way the Libre 2 replaced the Libre.
There's plans on the Libre 3 connecting to some pumps, so it's likely to only be used in those using these pumps and other specific circumstances
Abbott insist that Libre 2 is the same cost as Libre 3:
https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom...e-libre-3-worlds-smallest-sensor-is-here.html

The Libre 3 really *should* be a direct replacement for the Libre 2. There is no sane reason not to move to Libre 3 that I have found.

It is obvious the NHS intend to provide the Libre 3 as part of an automated insulin delivery system (aka hybrid closed loop or artificial pancreas) to those T1s who the NHS decide are eligible (which I suspect will be a vanishingly small number of T1s).

That is why at the moment the Libre 3 is not widely available in England, and cannot be prescribed routinely by a GP.
Thank you. Nail on head.

Abbott insist that Libre 2 is the same cost as Libre 3:
https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom...e-libre-3-worlds-smallest-sensor-is-here.html

The Libre 3 really *should* be a direct replacement for the Libre 2. There is no sane reason not to move to Libre 3 that I have found.
I totally agree with you also it may help with stopping people going into hospital as it tracks you BG every minute my nurse said there is no difference in the cost and feels it should be available to all she is trying to get the health trust to agree to it

I totally agree with you also it may help with stopping people going into hospital as it tracks you BG every minute my nurse said there is no difference in the cost and feels it should be available to all she is trying to get the health trust to agree to it
Best of luck - lets all make as much noise as possible. Our nurses said similar and asked us to write to the CCG to support the Nurses. We have previously used the LibreV1 with a Miao Miao but my daughter hated that it made the device so bulky, and it has ended up in the cupboard (if anyone wants to try it - DM me!). It's amazing that it's taken quite so long for Abbott to catch up to 3rd party providers. The continuous data from the Miao Miao was fantastic. The G7 was excellent in that regard also. No more clambering up a mid height bed in the dead of night to try and reach the furthest arm to get a scan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back