Forum upgraded

I've lost count of the number of upgrades the forum has had since inception, but it has always amused and intrigued me that the 'Competitions' section has never been either reinvigorated or removed 😱 🙂 I think the last competition was for the forum's 5th birthday - 11 years ago! 😱 🙂
Seeing it on the Forums page I always have a little thought for @HOBIE.

I've lost count of the number of upgrades the forum has had since inception, but it has always amused and intrigued me that the 'Competitions' section has never been either reinvigorated or removed 😱 🙂 I think the last competition was for the forum's 5th birthday - 11 years ago! 😱 🙂
Yes, last competition was in 2013. Perhaps as we near 40,000 members we could have another? Who would like that?

I seem to have found a forum bug.

I'm using dark mode, so I don't know if the bug only exists in dark mode, but I copy and paste from a spreadsheet, and it shows in the editor as a perfectly functional table.
scrap.jpg

Then I hit the post button, and it loses formatting. The bug is repeatable.scrap2.jpg

It posts as the kind of mess you see below here

[td]

[/td]
[td]
BMI

[/td]
[td]
WWI

[/td]
[td]
underweight'

[/td]
[td]
<18.5

[/td]
[td]
<8.83

[/td]
[td]
normal

[/td]
[td]
18.5 - 20

[/td]
[td]
8.93 - 9.22

[/td]
[td]
normal' - maybe good target to reduce to

[/td]
[td]
20 - 21.5

[/td]
[td]
9.22 - 9.56

[/td]

Last edited:
I seem to have found a forum bug.

I'm using dark mode, so I don't know if the bug only exists in dark mode, but I copy and paste from a spreadsheet, and it shows in the editor as a perfectly functional table.
View attachment 31401

Then I hit the post button, and it loses formatting. The bug is repeatable.

Thanks s’nic

I’m not sure if that’s a bug, or just the sort of html clean-up that most forum systems have in place to prevent raw code being posted or rogue content/code being ‘injected’.

There’s usually a part of the system that re-encodes or cleans-up any posted content, and then another part that renders allowable content (eg links) from the converted text.

It looks like the editor is happy to accept

Code:
<table>
</table>

and turn it into

Code:
[table]
[/table]

(note the different tag styles)

But that the post rendering system isn’t designed to re-convert the adjusted/sanitised tags to their proper html equivalents to render a table element that could potentially break the layout?

A similar thing happens when I want to copy my Wordle results onto the forum and has done from long before the upgrade. I didn't think it was enough of a problem to make an issue of it with it being just a fun quiz and not relevant to diabetes management. Like you, it shows correctly copied in my post as I am composing it, but when I hit the "post reply" button, it comes up unintelligible in the thread.

A similar thing happens when I want to copy my Wordle results onto the forum and has done from long before the upgrade. I didn't think it was enough of a problem to make an issue of it with it being just a fun quiz and not relevant to diabetes management. Like you, it shows correctly copied in my post as I am composing it, but when I hit the "post reply" button, it comes up unintelligible in the thread.
Oh, mine too, I thought it was just me! Again, not serious enough to complain about.

I’m not sure if that’s a bug, or just the sort of html clean-up that most forum systems have in place to prevent raw code being posted or rogue content/code being ‘injected’.

There’s usually a part of the system that re-encodes or cleans-up any posted content, and then another part that renders allowable content (eg links) from the converted text.
No problem, I just flagged it in case it was a hangover from the upgrade.
This was the first time I tried posting something which just happened to be in a spreadsheet, It's no big deal, I'm unlikely to want to do that again for a while, and if I do I'll know to avoid it 🙂

@Anna DUK Not sure I would use any of the new ones, but could really do with a "phew" emoji if that is possible?

But that the post rendering system isn’t designed to re-convert the adjusted/sanitised tags to their proper html equivalents to render a table element that could potentially break the layout
This reads like reading a foreign language for me!!!
Just found how to add emojis (three dots offer up the smiley face and then others)

Awesome - ty :star:
maybe this one would be good to add to the ones we can use to react to a post? :party:
eg as a celebratory reaction

Whoa, fast add of the new reaction - ty anna :star:

Whilst on the forum I always think of Mike as 'Eduad' in my head, pronounced as in Edward without the R. B good that his user name comes up so quick once you start typing it ain't it! :rofl:

Whilst on the forum I always think of Mike as 'Edwad' in my head, pronounced as in Edward without the R. B good that his user name comes up so quick once you start typing it ain't it! :rofl:
The first time I went to a forum meet in Bristol, I hadn’t met any of the attendees, and spotting someone I thought was probably Mike, from his avatar photo, I approached and said 'oh, are you…'.at which point all I could think of was Eduad! Luckily he helped me out, and at the sight of this strange woman goldfishing in front of him, said 'Oh hello, are you Robin!' (which considering my avatar is always a horse….)

The first time I went to a forum meet in Bristol,

I miss those meets in Yurt Lush. That lovely tent and all their tasty goodies packed up years ago :(

Back