Forum themes - ‘dark mode’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brilliant as I’ve had a problem with glare since my first cataract op & always use dark modes for my devices all the time! 🙂

Ah! It’s white on black which I don’t like as much as the Kindle’s black on green as it’s still harder for me to see the white text. But, it IS better than the much more glaring white background so, I’ll stick with the white on black.

Thank you so much for doing this, it will help a lot of us out on the forum.

A couple of things which might be more to do with my eyesight than anything. In the Default Theme, when you open a message board, the difference in colour between read and unread posts is distinct. Dark blue rather than light blue and that allows me to focus quickly on threads with new posts. In the new theme I can't easily see a difference between read and unread threads. If I concentrate then maybe the unread post titles are a bit brighter but it is not as obvious. Don't worry about trying to adjust anything for me but others might have the same problem.

Oddly, and I am sure that this is my eyesight, I get double vision with the white on black whereas I have no problems with the default. That is weird.
Ah! That’s what I get with white text: double vision; that’s ghosting because my right eye had complications after a cataract op.

Still love dark mode but appreciate the efforts to make it easier for everyone.
(dark mode rocked for the tail end of yesterdays migraine)

even though I need to squint a wee bit to read the white text,

The text in the dark mode has been made a little more grey. There is almost no pure white used in it anymore. I might see if it can go down another notch 🙂

Edit: hopefully that's a little less glare now.

Last edited:
Tried the high contrast, not for me, white background too much glare. Dark mode best for me, though some text hardly visible, eg names on quotes and times, also page numbers eg 2 of 2. But the essential text of the posts is clear.

Tried the high contrast, not for me, white background too much glare. Dark mode best for me, though some text hardly visible, eg names on quotes and times, also page numbers eg 2 of 2. But the essential text of the posts is clear.

Thanks for the feedback @silentsquirrel

Possibly as the main text has got a little darker? I’ll check out the contrast of those other items and see if it can be improved. 🙂

For me its fABULOUS NOW - THANKS!
(Can you do anything about that stupid caps lock button right next to the A?)
What colour did you change the text to, #-wise?

By the way, you can change the fonts in your browser to change them for all pages - I am now looking at this in Comic Sans on Firefox. You have to remember to uncheck the 'allow sites to choose fonts' box and change both sans and serif (and mono) if you like:
The box appears when you click 'Advanced' in font settings
All in Firefox
In MS browser I have no idea
Comic Sans In Firefox.png

Thanks for the feedback @silentsquirrel

Possibly as the main text has got a little darker? I’ll check out the contrast of those other items and see if it can be improved. 🙂
Noooo, I think it was better before adjusted! But only marginally.

Noooo, I think it was better before adjusted! But only marginally.

What before the tweaks today? Only the thread display of ‘page x’ and the contrast of the quote headers changed - everything else should be as it was?

What colour did you change the text to, #-wise?

The main text is now a neutral light grey #D2D2D2 (210r, 210g, 210b)

What before the tweaks today? Only the thread display of ‘page x’ and the contrast of the quote headers changed - everything else should be as it was?

Light grey, thought it was white.

I thought you tweaked the main text yesterday pm? post#29?

Page numbers do look a bit better.

Trouble is, my eyesight is quite variable, mainly due to variability of natural and/or artificial light, I think, so I am not sure if the differences are due to that rather than tweaks!
It's now 3 + years since my last successful retinopathy screening, and my cataracts have worsened considerably. I was due to have an ophthalmology appointment in April 2020 following failure to get clear digital photos in February, but obviously this was cancelled, and have only just heard the postponed appointment will be this April.

On reflection, page numbers and quote headers are better now! Thanks.

Light grey, thought it was white.

Yes I was surprised quite how grey it had to get to reduce the glare!

And the background isn’t fully black either!

I am a dark theme convert.
Just a really really small point - the "Post reply" button is difficult to read as it is white text on a pale grey background. Initially, I thought it was disabled.

I am a dark theme convert.
Just a really really small point - the "Post reply" button is difficult to read as it is white text on a pale grey background. Initially, I thought it was disabled.
Good spot @helli!

Should be orange! I will get that fixed.

Edit: Should be clearer now 🙂

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back