Forty minute wait - is this OK/normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went private for my knee, I was given a time to see the Doctor. Ten minutes after said appointment time, and still being in the reception. I marched up to the receptionist, and loudly asked why the delay. She explained the consultant was running late. Again loudly, I told her, that I expect that from the NHS, not a private hospital, and said consultant can write to me with a new appointment time, one in which he will keep, along with an apology from the hospital...............I got both😉😉

I think you are right, the main thing that annoyed me was the lack of politeness. I know NHS staff are often overworked. But so are a lot of people in customer facing positions, stress is part of the job. My boyfriend, for one, who works in a jobcentre and has to face all sorts of rude and unpleasant people all day, but still stays polite and helpful and professional. I think that in some cases doctors and nurses forget they are working in customer service - just because they customer pays indirectly through taxes does not change this. People seeing doctors and nurses are as a rule unwell, and usually worried and scared about this. A smile and a few kind words, or an apology for an appointment overrunning, cost nothing really and mean a lot to the patient.

I think you are right, the main thing that annoyed me was the lack of politeness. I know NHS staff are often overworked. But so are a lot of people in customer facing positions, stress is part of the job. My boyfriend, for one, who works in a jobcentre and has to face all sorts of rude and unpleasant people all day, but still stays polite and helpful and professional. I think that in some cases doctors and nurses forget they are working in customer service - just because they customer pays indirectly through taxes does not change this. People seeing doctors and nurses are as a rule unwell, and usually worried and scared about this. A smile and a few kind words, or an apology for an appointment overrunning, cost nothing really and mean a lot to the patient.

I think if they replaced the word patient with the word customer or client from time to time I'd hope it would bring a slight reality check to them as to who pays their salary!

It takes a couple of seconds to say 'I am so sorry to have kept you' and costs absolutely nothing.

Ho humm, but is this now becoming more common within society anyway?

I think if they replaced the word patient with the word customer or client from time to time I'd hope it would bring a slight reality check to them as to who pays their salary!

It takes a couple of seconds to say 'I am so sorry to have kept you' and costs absolutely nothing.

Ho humm, but is this now becoming more common within society anyway?

I think it is. It seems I have to keep on at people just to get them to do their job. I always try to be polite about it though, as I know the person on the end of the phone is usually not to blame and gets it in the neck a lot from people.

I think it is. It seems I have to keep on at people just to get them to do their job. I always try to be polite about it though, as I know the person on the end of the phone is usually not to blame and gets it in the neck a lot from people.

I try to treat people the way I would have them treat me, so try to keep smiling. I'm a fairly diplomatic person and don't like conflict so prefer to keep at least one side of a conversation calm, polite and friendly. I think (and no doubt our parents would say the same!) that attitudes change. I remember at a company I worked for we had two young men starting who were about 15 years younger than me at the time i.e. they had grown up in the extrmely selfish 'me me me' 1980's. Their attitude seemed to be that they were owed a living and expected to be rewarded with pay rises etc. before showing that they actually deserved them. They were nice people, but their expectations were totally different to mine at their age. It's the same with a lot of things - some people just throw litter on the ground because someone else will pick it up - it doesn't seem to trouble them. Giving up seats on public tranport to old or infirm people - I rarely see children standing for an adult these days, unthinkable not to when I was a kid...Oh dear, I've turned into a grumpy old man!😱

Like northerner I always expect to be kept waiting (longest was 3 hours). Luckily I like to read and always have a good book with me. 🙂
I do sometimes wonder about the missed appointments. If you need to see a doctor you would make sure to be there. And what are the GP's doing with the extra time? I was never called in early. Then again I was never rushed out either and my GP or nurse always apologized when they run late.

Northerner,

I do agree with you about young peoples expectations - but i have to say that sometimes its the adults who have very little in the way of manners.
My children have been brought up to respect their elders - but Alex has stood up for old people on the train or bus - and very rarely do they say thankyou. So once i said rather loudly "I think the lady said thankyou Alex" - she heard and then mumbled a begrudged "thankyou"!
Also lots of adults seem to think its ok not to say "excuse me" if they are squeezing past a child - they just barge right into them! I have lost count of the number of times people have done this to my children!
If i ever caught any of mine (including the 21 year old) dropping litter i would make them pick it up with their teeth and eat it! They know my feelings on this matter and they darent even try it!
A group of young chaps in a multi storey car park once opened their car door and dropped 2 buckets of food on the floor - then tried to drive off - so i 'pretended' i thought they had mistakenly dropped something and picked it up for them to put back in their car! They were red faced and drove off clutching their rubbish.
I dont think your a grumpy old man - i do think you have standards - and thats not a bad thing!:D Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back