foods that 'spike'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting comments guys/gals.

Hmm last pizza I had I felt pretty rotten, I didn't think about spikes! Might have to do some experimenting post food, to understand, as often my eyes burn up and it feels like a high, which I guess is a spike!

I'd love to have brown rice & pasta but it's just not the same!!

Cheers

Rossi

Hi Rossi

I agree. I can't stand brown rice. I never thought I would like brown pasta until my aunt cooked it and myself and J love it. We never have anything else but we get the same spike as if we were having white anyway !! Pizza is a nightmare. You really only find out to what extent these foods play havoc when on a pump as you can experiment about how to give the insulin. With pizza and Chinese we have to give insulin spread out over about 6 hours, it really is astounding.

As i have done dafne, i dose for what i eat and would not give extra insulin, as that would be the wrong principle for me and I would have to have that snack even if i didnt want it.

You are completely right about injecting before breakfast but you could also up the insulin but you will then have to have a snack 2 hours later to stop the hypo

Tracy when you are pump I believe you would be able to do this without needing a snack, as you can use some basal upfront to help with the spike.

hehe I started out being a good diabetic and eating brown rice & pasta but I slowly slipped back into eating the white versions, they taste so much better!

hehe I started out being a good diabetic and eating brown rice & pasta but I slowly slipped back into eating the white versions, they taste so much better!

I've never got on with brown rice, so eat white basmati. I'm the other way round with pasta, not that I like any pasta that much, but prefer brown/wholemeal.

As for bread, I've never understood why anyone would prefer white bread to brown - brown bread, in all its varieties, has so much more flavour and texture to it!🙂

Hi

Sorry I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean uping your insulin for the sheer hell of it. I meant increasing the ratios that's all. I think you actually mentioned ratios yourself, I was just continuing that thread. We count carbs too and have done for 3 odd years now and I wouldn't deviate from that but if the ratios need adjusting every so often which is not often I would tweak them. With a pump it is a whole other ballgame, one which is so much better and easier with the tweaking. I hope you like pumping, you can get great levels although it takes some hard work but doesn't all diabetes 😱

thanks Adrienne, i do change ratios if i see a pattern after 2 days(dafne again!), no my ratio is fine its the timing i needed to change, as mentioned before more insulin, ie higher ratio and i crash, your right is hard work and i know it will always be a case of changing ratios constantly, it never stays the same, but thats ok thats just how it is 🙂

dont get me wrong if i want i snack i will have one, but gone are the days i eat because i need to because of the amount of insulin i have had, i control eating now not my diabetes :D

Tracy when you are pump I believe you would be able to do this without needing a snack, as you can use some basal upfront to help with the spike.

thanks Nikki, thats what im most looking forward to, more control with my levels, no spikes sounds wonderful :D

thanks Adrienne, i do change ratios if i see a pattern after 2 days(dafne again!), no my ratio is fine its the timing i needed to change, as mentioned before more insulin, ie higher ratio and i crash, your right is hard work and i know it will always be a case of changing ratios constantly, it never stays the same, but thats ok thats just how it is 🙂

dont get me wrong if i want i snack i will have one, but gone are the days i eat because i need to because of the amount of insulin i have had, i control eating now not my diabetes :D

I cant wait for the dafne course :D roll on sept x

i will find out when i see DSN on 27th what she sorted for me , hope she got me onto the t2 course she mentioned

i will find out when i see DSN on 27th what she sorted for me , hope she got me onto the t2 course she mentioned

oo fingers crossed for ya missy :D

I applied for mine nearly 2 years ago and I think its about time 😛 hehe

😱😱 good god 2 years!! id set my own course up if i had to wait that long , 3 mnth waiting to see DSN was bad enuff lol
anyway off to bed nights x

😱😱 good god 2 years!! id set my own course up if i had to wait that long , 3 mnth waiting to see DSN was bad enuff lol
anyway off to bed nights x

I know lol I have kinda taught myself over that period of time but still need adjusting.

me too, dentist at 9am :( wot a great start to my day lol

nights to you too steph xxxxxx

I know lol I have kinda taught myself over that period of time but still need adjusting.

me too, dentist at 9am :( wot a great start to my day lol

nights to you too steph xxxxxx

smile for him wont ye

good luck

byeeeeeeeee x

Hi all,

Probably not saying anything new here, but I find higher fat foods like takeaway pizza, fish & chips & curry are a nightmare because it seems like maybe the fat delays the release of the carbs or something? So if I eat & inject my lispro I go hypo an hour or so afterwards & then it bounces up high doh! Can't believe I didn't think about splitting the dose before though, what a plonker!! The only problem is gauging the magnitude of the delay...

I also find that some of the recommended low GI foods actually cause chaos with me because the quick acting insulin I'm on seems to act a bit too quickly! Again, I try (when I can think straight) to delay my jab for such meals.

I also tend to be a bit carb sensitive - anything around 10g carb + & I need a jab...timing it is the difficult part! I was also amazed to see that large portions of proteins need a unit of insulin when on a pump - I wonder if that's also a factor in causing spikes in MDI situations??

Hi all,

Probably not saying anything new here, but I find higher fat foods like takeaway pizza, fish & chips & curry are a nightmare because it seems like maybe the fat delays the release of the carbs or something? So if I eat & inject my lispro I go hypo an hour or so afterwards & then it bounces up high doh! Can't believe I didn't think about splitting the dose before though, what a plonker!! The only problem is gauging the magnitude of the delay...

I also find that some of the recommended low GI foods actually cause chaos with me because the quick acting insulin I'm on seems to act a bit too quickly! Again, I try (when I can think straight) to delay my jab for such meals.

I also tend to be a bit carb sensitive - anything around 10g carb + & I need a jab...timing it is the difficult part! I was also amazed to see that large portions of proteins need a unit of insulin when on a pump - I wonder if that's also a factor in causing spikes in MDI situations??

Hi

Not sure about the large portions of protein needing a unit or so but fat has a huge effect and you pretty much have to factor in the fat in food. For example the same amount of pasta ie 100 g cooked is 25 cho. If you put a tomato sauce with it then it is still 25 cho, if you put a cheese sauce with it, I would up it to about 30 cho !!! I have never ever bolused for protein. Guess it depends if you are particularly protein sensitive.

We were celebrating last Friday, so decided to have takaway, I said I didn't want pizza, so we went for curry, hmmm, loads of rice and naan bread, and curry! Injected, quite alot, but no problems!! Woo Hooo Bring on the curry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back