Food products for low sugar diets

Status
Not open for further replies.

cakespirit

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'd love to see the day when cafes, wholefood shops and supermarket shop shelves cater for people on zero/low sugar diets in the same way that people who are gluten free, dairy free, and vegan currently are. Is this just me?

But even though I live in a pretty innovative, foody city - such foods are still non existent.

Or cafes are selling so called "sugar free foods" that are sweetened with things like honey, or maple syrup that in fact aren't low in sugars at all.

I always ask for low sugar cakes when I go to a cafe, knowing what the answer will be, just to hopefully set a seed in someone's mind. I'm sometimes told that there is no demand for foods that are suitable for people following low sugar diets.

Am I the only person out there asking for it?

I don’t worry about the sugar content as I am more concerned about the carb content, whether it is sugar or not. Low sugar can often mean it is sweetners instead, which have interesting consequences for me.

I choose to ask for the carb count on anything I order in a cafe. I was pleased when the local independent worked out the carbs for me on their cheese scones.

I often take a couple of slices of my Burgen bread out with me if I plan to go to a cafe with my daughter, I can then have a sandwich with everyone else but know I’m still low carb 😛

I am not interested in the sugar content of foods etc . I just look at the carbohydrate content as sugar is already included in the carb content in the nutritional details

It’s carbohydrates especially potatoes, rice, pasta, bread , juice , flour, fruit etc that our bodies turn into glucose very quickly.

Their is a very handy guide many of us use when eating out it’s called carbs and cals

Last edited:
Hi. Yes, think carbs not just sugar.

Sure. I'm careful with carbohydrates too. So does anyone here ask for low carbs no sugar as a dietary requirement when they are being catered for or in cafes, restaurants etc?

Thanks Robin! I've been making my own bread from a book called the Grainfree Diet by Annabelle Lee. It's made from coconut flour, nuts and eggs. It sounds a bit random but it works really well. It's the best low carb bread I've made so far. Previous attempts have been dense and only been suitable for toasting. But it's good to know of an alternative that I can just buy. Following this diet usually means a lot of extra food prep.

Sure. I'm careful with carbohydrates too. So does anyone here ask for low carbs no sugar as a dietary requirement when they are being catered for or in cafes, restaurants etc?
I will ask for substitutes of things. Like no potatoes but extra veg/salad. I've taken my own bread or rolls to places without problems. Most places where I live are really good with that sort of thing.

I'd love to see the day when cafes, wholefood shops and supermarket shop shelves cater for people on zero/low sugar diets in the same way that people who are gluten free, dairy free, and vegan currently are. Is this just me?

But even though I live in a pretty innovative, foody city - such foods are still non existent.

Or cafes are selling so called "sugar free foods" that are sweetened with things like honey, or maple syrup that in fact aren't low in sugars at all.

I always ask for low sugar cakes when I go to a cafe, knowing what the answer will be, just to hopefully set a seed in someone's mind. I'm sometimes told that there is no demand for foods that are suitable for people following low sugar diets.

Am I the only person out there asking for it?
Hi, I asked the manager of Tesco today "Why when there is an epidemic of type 2 diabetes is there no section for low or nil sugar foods" Guess what? he did not know. I will follow this up when I have thought things over.

A colleague who was also type 2 ordered 2 diabetic meals when we went to an event. I was mortified when 2 huge salads appeared when everyone else god a buffet of sandwiches etc. It seemed to me very attention seeking,

I used to tick the diabetes box for dietary requirement when going to work events or magistrate training, but stopped doing it for the reason you give, Carol. You do need some carbs to keep your brain going. Tired lettuce doesn’t do it for me.:confused:

Hi, I asked the manager of Tesco today "Why when there is an epidemic of type 2 diabetes is there no section for low or nil sugar foods" Guess what? he did not know. I will follow this up when I have thought things over.

Why?
Not many would shop there.

Not as such.
I tend to opt for healthy options.
Low fat, low salt, tend to eat more vegetables, ditch fried foods, avoid chips, potatoes, pasta, and swop for salad.
So that is low carb as well, to a degree.

Never really had an issue eating out doing that.

It's already there, it's called the salad and veg aisle. People just need to be educated to make the right choices. Removing sugar and replacing it with substitutes often has little, if any, effect on the total amount of carbs, which makes it all rather pointless. We need to choose foods that don't have much carb in to start with.

It's already there, it's called the salad and veg aisle.

And also the nuts and the bit down the back where they keep the seeds. 🙂

You are forgetting the meat isle.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back