Flying for the first time on Insulin with Libre2

Thanks to all for the encouragement and I can report my first trip abroad on Insulin went pretty well. Of course my BG was a bit low and high but with all the walking I was doing I actually found it a bit easier to stabilise things than when forced to sit for hours at a desk at home when working. I guess this shows how helpful exercise can be. Also made it easier to eat plenty of Austrian desserts. Is Sauerkraut good for lowering BG? It seemed to be.
So pleased that things worked out well. It will seem a lot easier next time.

So pleased that things worked out well. It will seem a lot easier next time.
It was a good trip but now I have Covid!! Bit of a price to pay. Wondered why my BG kept going high. It’s the first time I’ve been ill on Insulin. Any advice? I’m trying to eat normally although l’ve got no appetite. With normal insulin doses I keep going high after every meal. Do I take more insulin?

Illness with T 1 is a b....er. I often get early warning and like you spot higher levels before I develop symptoms.

Have you been given sick day rules? I find a glow chart to follow is very useful when ill as I don’t want to be doing too much thinking.

Keep a watch on glucose levels and ketones. You are likely to need more basal insulin and to increase your ratios for bolus insulin (that is the one I often forget to change)

@everydayupsanddowns can you post a link to sick day rules. Just had a look for mine and can’t upload. Sorry

No problem @SB2015

This one from the Leicester Diabetes Centre is designed as a handy flow-chart.

Sorry to hear you have the lurgy @CathyFP

Hope this helps 🙂

Wow that chart is a bit terrifying. I have never tested for ketones yet but I do have the strips so will give it a try. Luckily although the Covid test is clearly positive I no longer feel particularly ill. I’m just noticing that I seem to need more insulin for quite small amounts of carbs or my BG is going quite high. It comes down ok if I exercise after eating.

Wow that chart is a bit terrifying. I have never tested for ketones yet but I do have the strips so will give it a try. Luckily although the Covid test is clearly positive I no longer feel particularly ill. I’m just noticing that I seem to need more insulin for quite small amounts of carbs or my BG is going quite high. It comes down ok if I exercise after eating.
Although it looks a bit daunting Cathy it is a good reminder of what to do at times when we just don’t want to have to think too hard. I am glad that you are feeling better now, in spite of the positive test. No need to test for ketones unless you have high BGs for an extended period of time. We need what insulin we need so just keep the adjustments going and monitor with BG.

Back