Flash glucose & CGM

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest problem I have with Libre et al is that they don't measure blood glucose as does finger prick test. Rather they measure interstitial glucose. Not the same at all. Diabetic for 35 years is fairly impressive. 57 years for me!

I’ve asked them,

Dexecom is the consensus that they are more reliable?

Like many things, it depends on the individual @JasonM I’m lucky enough to have the Dexcom G7 and it’s utterly brilliant compared to the Libre 2. I think @rayray119 has the Dexcom One.

I’ve asked them,

It varies by person, I prefer the libre. I used dexcom one but when the transmitter failed on holiday that was it no more cgm until I got home (as you don’t have a spare transmitter) whereas libre you can just put a new one on. Libre I find just as accurate and shorter warmup time, but far more sticky than dexcom.

I have dexcom g6 and i find it miles better than libre 2. I always have a spare transmitter on hand as i self funded 1 month of sensors, and they came with a 3 month tramsmitter. The g7 has no transmitter if you manage to get that
I found libre stopped reading a lot when things got 'interesting', dexcom doesn't.
It has its downsides...shorted wear time, 2 hour warm up, bulkier, but the reliability and accuracy more than makes up for that

Yes, the G7 has a built in transmitter in each sensor and the warm up time is less than 30 mins, or non-existent if you put your new sensor in 30 mins before you stop the old one. It’s also smaller and lower profile because of not needing the transmitter clipped on.

I’ve asked them,

As @Inka said, it depends on you and your body.
I have tried a lot of CGMs over the years - Libre 1, Libre 2 (both with the native and unofficial apps and with the reader), Dexcom 4, Dexcom 6, ...
Dexcoms were the least suited to my body, were least accurate and failed more often. I also found the app very simplistic and the applicator had the most plastic waste. However, the most important feature for me is the ability to calibrate the sensor to my finger prick readings which is not available for Libre or Dexcom One.

I recommend requesting trials to find out what suits you.

It also depends on your needs and wants. I don’t look at the Dexcom app because all the info I want is on my receiver (TIR, graph, TIR over various periods of time, predicted HBA1C, average glucose, etc). I love the extra alarms on the G7 too, but someone not on glucose-lowering drugs wouldn’t need them.

If you can afford to try a few, then that would be good because you could then tell your team what worked best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back