First eye screening tomorrow, slightly nervous…

Status
Not open for further replies.

sg295

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

Got my first diabetic eye screening tomorrow and slightly nervous about it!

Probably nothing to worry about really but if anyone can just give me a heads up about what to expect to put my mind at rest a bit I would really appreciate it!

Thank you 🙂

Hi
No need to be concerned. Take sunglasses with you for afterwards as the glare from any sun particularly at this time of year when it is low in the sky, can be painful until your eyes return to normal. Hopefully you are aware that you are not to drive for a few hours afterwards as they use drops to dilate your pupils so that they can take photos of the retina at the back of your eyes more easily.

Basically you go in to the waiting room, get called in to a room where they do a very basic eye test with a chart on the wall, pop the drops in which sting a bit and make your sight go blurry, then you go back out to the waiting room for the drops to work and then get called back into the room 10-15 mins later, sit in the chair, put your chin on the apparatus look at the tiny flashing light and they take the photos. Then you get the results about a month later, in the post. All done in about 15-20 mins. It's a doddle!

Hi, I had my first one a few months back. Basically checked in and then sat down. Was called into one room, few checks made re details, mini eye test, then eye drops were put in, stung a wee bit but only for the shortest time. Went back to waiting area to as need 20 - 30 mins for pupils to dilate. Then got called back in and camera took photos, then it was over, Takes about an hour or so depending on how long they keep you waiting. Eyes a little blurry, so you aren't allowed to drive - take sunglasses as eyes will be extra sensitive to bright light. Hope that helps

Hi
No need to be concerned. Take sunglasses with you for afterwards as the glare from any sun particularly at this time of year when it is low in the sky, can be painful until your eyes return to normal. Hopefully you are aware that you are not to drive for a few hours afterwards as they use drops to dilate your pupils so that they can take photos of the retina at the back of your eyes more easily.

Basically you go in to the waiting room, get called in to a room where they do a very basic eye test with a chart on the wall, pop the drops in which sting a bit and make your sight go blurry, then you go back out to the waiting room for the drops to work and then get called back into the room 10-15 mins later, sit in the chair, put your chin on the apparatus look at the tiny flashing light and they take the photos. Then you get the results about a month later, in the post. All done in about 15-20 mins. It's a doddle!
Hi,

That’s great thank you for that!

Yes my mum is giving me a lift as I can’t drive (feels like before I passed my driving test and had to rely on parents to give me lifts haha!)

I went for a regular opticians appointment last month and the optician said she could see what appeared to be two pin prick sized blood vessel leaks on the back of one of my eyes and that she was just telling me this in case they picked it up at the screening. Hoping it’s nothing but just a bit concerned in case it is anything to be worried about but I guess either way something can be done about it.

Hi, I had my first one a few months back. Basically checked in and then sat down. Was called into one room, few checks made re details, mini eye test, then eye drops were put in, stung a wee bit but only for the shortest time. Went back to waiting area to as need 20 - 30 mins for pupils to dilate. Then got called back in and camera took photos, then it was over, Takes about an hour or so depending on how long they keep you waiting. Eyes a little blurry, so you aren't allowed to drive - take sunglasses as eyes will be extra sensitive to bright light. Hope that helps
Brilliant, thank you for that!

Sounds easy enough so fingers crossed all will be ok 🙂

I believe that sometimes those tiny bleeds can resolve on their own, particularly with good diabetes management, so it may be that they have occurred around diagnosis and are now healing. It doesn't sound like the optician was too concerned.
If the result does come back with background retinopathy, don't worry about it as I have had that as have many others here and it resolved by the following appointment. I think they make you aware of it to encourage you to maintain good control as there is nothing else that you can do. Obviously if there is something which needs treatment or closer monitoring they will let you know that but it is rare, particularly when you are newly diagnosed, so don't worry about it.

I believe that sometimes those tiny bleeds can resolve on their own, particularly with good diabetes management, so it may be that they have occurred around diagnosis and are now healing. It doesn't sound like the optician was too concerned.
If the result does come back with background retinopathy, don't worry about it as I have had that as have many others here and it resolved by the following appointment. I think they make you aware of it to encourage you to maintain good control as there is nothing else that you can do. Obviously if there is something which needs treatment or closer monitoring they will let you know that but it is rare, particularly when you are newly diagnosed, so don't worry about it.
Thank you very much, that’s very helpful!

Yes she asked me what my control was like so I said it was pretty good on the whole (which it is generally) and she said it would’ve probably occurred before I was diagnosed and levels would’ve been elevated all the time.

With any luck it’ll just sort itself out then!

Thank you for the reassurance 🙂

If it hasn't yet resolved don't worry about it. I am not sure of timescales for these things to heal but I think a few months may not be an unreasonable time scale, since that is how long burry vision caused by changing HbA1c levels usually takes to settle down. I know the two eye problems are very different but just didn't want you worrying unduly if these slight bleeds are still visible. I believe you are young and fit which should go a long way towards your body making good repairs.

Good luck today. You are wise not to drive. You might get a headache after - or at least I do. Nothing to worry about

Good luck today. You are wise not to drive. You might get a headache after - or at least I do. Nothing to worry about
That sounds like you are not aware that you are legally not allowed to drive for several hours afterwards! Hope I am misunderstanding you.

If it hasn't yet resolved don't worry about it. I am not sure of timescales for these things to heal but I think a few months may not be an unreasonable time scale, since that is how long burry vision caused by changing HbA1c levels usually takes to settle down. I know the two eye problems are very different but just didn't want you worrying unduly if these slight bleeds are still visible. I believe you are young and fit which should go a long way towards your body making good repairs.
Ok that’s great thank you!

I think the optician said it may not have resolved by the time I have my screening depending on when it was but that’s ok.

Seeing as I’m only in my early 20s, it should be all good then!

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated 🙂

I had mine last Wednesday, not my first, they told me there and then everything looked fine but they’d send a letter. I got it Saturday! That’s what I call good service! Good luck, it’s nothing to worry about. One thing though, I accidentally left my sunglasses in the car with my hubby, I should have taken them in with me as I was blinded as soon as I walked out of the clinic’s door and must have looked like a drunken woman weaving about the carpark trying to find where the car was!

The only thing that I would add to the comments above is that the optician who does the test usually does a quick review of the results whilst you are in the room to check they look ok from both the quality of teh photograph (you may have blinked when the flash went off, for example) and that there is no obvious issue with your eyes.
In England, the photos are manually checked by at least two experts in the lab. If they disagree or spot an issue, they are checked by a third person. In Scotland, the checks are done by computer but they only take one photo per eye. In England they take two photos and the computer algorithm is not able to cope with the different angles. At least that is what the optician told me last time I went and started asking questions.
Based on my experience, do not be afraid to ask questions or ask to see the photos (they look a bit like a very veiny boob). The opticians are happy that you are interested in their work.

Overall, it is little to be afraid of.

Oooo - nearly forgot - take sunglasses. With your pupils dilated, things can seem very very bright. My D friends and I call it "Blues Brother's Day"

..... and it's guaranteed that it can be as black as your hat when you walk in the clinic, not a crack in the thick grey cloud, but when you walk out again - dazzling sunshine ....

Hi everyone!

Just got home from my eye screening, was very quick and easy, was in and out with no problems!

Also interestingly, they didn’t put the drops in. They said because I’m young and my pupils are naturally quite large and were responding very well to light changes I didn’t need them! So anyway that saved that bit of hassle!

Should get the results within 1-2 weeks apparently so fingers crossed it’ll be ok 🙂

Great news about the drops ! Mind you it’s kinda fun scaring the kids with your crazy eyes. Pic of mine from last time… got another on 17th

Attachments

• 5F12B299-B41A-4ECB-8384-A29B57858DDC.jpeg
    5F12B299-B41A-4ECB-8384-A29B57858DDC.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 3
Great news you didn’t have the drops! I have them every time - was quite annoying as I couldn’t use the sewing machines in textiles when I got back to school!

Great news you didn’t have the drops! I have them every time - was quite annoying as I couldn’t use the sewing machines in textiles when I got back to school!
Yes I was very pleased I didn’t need to! Oh no what a nightmare! They said that may well change in future as I get older so to make sure that every year I attend I have arrangements for getting home as one year they will finally say I need the drops but I will get away with it for as long as I can

Next time you could ask whether they can try without, you’re young so hopefully your pupils should be quick enough to be able to have it without. They did mine with drops every year till age 33! Then last year they did it without. That made this year easy, I just said “I didn’t need drops last year can we try without again” and they said yes that’s fine.

Next time you could ask whether they can try without, you’re young so hopefully your pupils should be quick enough to be able to have it without. They did mine with drops every year till age 33! Then last year they did it without. That made this year easy, I just said “I didn’t need drops last year can we try without again” and they said yes that’s fine.
I didn’t really think about whether it was an option but it was my first eye screening (there was a confusion with appointments between the eye and paediatric departments) I’ve got my next eye screening on the 20th so will ask if I can go without the drops then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back