Finger prick readings , new to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
You now have quite a bit of data from your reading and food that you have been eating which I hope you have noted down so going back to your doctor and ask that very question 'What am I supposed to do' as those reading are out of step with what you are eating.
I am wondering if there is something else going on like LADA which is a slow developing Type 1 but the meds and diet have done some good but stressing about it is not helpful.
Maybe keep up with what you are doing diet and meds wise but forget the testing for a couple of weeks then check again and see where you are then.

Sorry for the long explanation.
The conclusion is to eat something small as soon as you get up to avoid your BG to continue rising in the morning.

Conclusion from where?

I've read a lot of research into DP in T2s and never seen this mentioned. It's down to a poor insulin response and/or insulin resistance and a broken feedback loop that no longer suppresses hepatic glucose production. I doubt eating something will make any difference if the liver isn't responding to insulin levels properly. (It probably not helpful that the body is releasing hormones that counter the effect of insulin in the morning.).

There's a good summary here of the current knowledge:

Conclusion from where?

I've read a lot of research into DP in T2s and never seen this mentioned. It's down to a poor insulin response and/or insulin resistance and a broken feedback loop that no longer suppresses hepatic glucose production. I doubt eating something will make any difference if the liver isn't responding to insulin levels properly. (It probably not helpful that the body is releasing hormones that counter the effect of insulin in the morning.).
Eating as soon as possible does not stop DP, as you describe, but it stops it continuing.
As per my previous post, if you do not eat, your liver thinks you are starving and continues to dump glucose. Once you eat, the liver glucose dump returns to its usual slow dribble.

Thank you very much for such a kind and helpful reply

I really don't think this regular home testing is good for my mental health at all as I have been in hospital under section twice before and any stress makes me very ill , very quickly

I interpret and make catastrophic conclusions more than most and worrying about these results is not going to do me any favours at all

I assume before these home tests the hba1c results were the main way of keeping an eye on things ? If that's the case and my readings have dropped from 80 plus to 51 and since the last hba1c test my diet have cut out the carbs and rubbish even more then surely my next result in March will be even better ?

I took two tests before breakfast this morning and my last meal was 8pm yesterday .....the readings were 9.9 and 11.8 !

That makes absolutely no sense to me .....I ate a piece of chicken , lightly pan fried with mushrooms and a side veg of boiled cabbage , sprouts and baby green beans

That's low carb ....unless I am doing something wrong

The portions are not excessive

I don't really see this is helping me at all really and the nurse herself didn't feel regular monitoring was necessary given my reducing hba1c
Hi,
Ive rejoined today having lost my original details but been monitoring my diabetes for some time.

I'm a carb addict and decided to go cold turkey with sugar this year. I did a few weeks last year and reduced my HbA1c but fell off the wagon. I'm a big comfort eater and can relate to stress and mental health.

Ive got thus far in your thread and my advice for you is 3 things.

Set an 8 hour sleep pattern at regular times.
Meditate or practice mindfullness. An hour listening to favourite music before sleep is useful youtube has a good amount of overnight relaxation channels without ads.

This is because stress can raise cortisol and your body responds by raising insulin! Sounds to me that you were very stressed at this point of posting.

Thirdly, practice time restricted eating. Start pushing your breakfast 30 mins at a time until you get to noon, then eat, drink water and hot beverages to keep the hunger at bay til then but these won't raise blood glucose. Diet drinks will.
Aim for 2 meals a day and no snacking, give yourself a day or two off this perhaps at weekend but continue eating good.

My blood sugars doing this are high in morning then drop before I eat mid day measure 1 hour after last mouthful then another hour. First should spike but second come down, this means you are not insulin resistant. Always check sugars before meal times.

See if this helps.

This is because stress can raise cortisol and your body responds by raising insulin! Sounds to me that you were very stressed at this point of posting.

Thirdly, practice time restricted eating. Start pushing your breakfast 30 mins at a time until you get to noon, then eat, drink water and hot beverages to keep the hunger at bay til then but these won't raise blood glucose. Diet drinks will.
Aim for 2 meals a day and no snacking, give yourself a day or two off this perhaps at weekend but continue eating good.

My blood sugars doing this are high in morning then drop before I eat mid day measure 1 hour after last mouthful then another hour. First should spike but second come down, this means you are not insulin resistant. Always check sugars before meal times.

See if this helps.

Cortisol actually suppresses insulin release from beta cells.
It does this to suppress the conversion of glucose to glycogen so energy is available.
It also makes fat & muscle tissues insulin resistant and increases the generation of glucose from the liver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back