Finding your own way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
This discussion has been separated away from an earlier thread about life expectancy here: https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/life-expectancy-with-diabetes.101190/
and also a side discussion here:

@Purls of Wisdom personally a high carb breakfast would not be a good start to the day, but if you can cope with grain based then it will do no harm to have cereal - but I found that it has more effect on me in the mornings so I have 1/4 of my daily carbs first thing and the rest in the evening - I only eat twice a day.
Some people find the opposite, and need to have fewer carbs later so as not to see a spike - that is why it is a good idea to check and test, and settle into a routine which is backed up by testing.
As you are taking insulin I can't advise choosing lower carb foods, the moderators don't like it, but you can use your results and hopefully have advice from your HCPs to make adjustments safely so as to see fewer high numbers.
I wrote down the carb content of foods I eat as a percentage, and also a typical portion size and the carbs in that, to help me to plan meals for a week at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
As you are taking insulin I can't advise choosing lower carb foods, the moderators don't like it

Presumably because it could be extremely dangerous. Pretty good reason, I’d say.

Yes, Drummer has, presumably, been asked not to recommend low carb diets to people on insulin but still does it, just with the added little dig at the mods here. It is wrong.It is potentially very dangerous to suggest someone on insulin eat low carb because it’s possible they could have a severe hypo. By severe, I mean losing consciousness, having a seizure, or worse.
Let's put it on the line.
Dumb advice could kill people.

As you are taking insulin I can't advise choosing lower carb foods, the moderators don't like it

Presumably because it could be extremely dangerous. Pretty good reason, I’d say.
I am answering the questions put by @Purls of Wisdom in the best way I can - did you not notice I said lower carbs - as the 2nd question was should they reduce the carbs - I am instructed not to answer such questions which might seem strange to some people - it might be obvious that if the BG level is over 14 but insulin is a set dose then a lower carb food would possibly be sensible - but I could not possibly comment.
I passed on what I had found about different responses to carbs AM and PM - which was a revelation to me and has made such a difference to my ability to keep my Hba1c as low as it is.
I always advise careful experimentation to discover what control, if any can be found and maintained - as we are all individuals it is essential to discover what can be done for oneself, and what is apparently random.

I do really feel for someone struggling to eat a couple of weetabix for breakfast and use insulin to deal with it, then spikes into the high teens but would feel hungry eating just one.
What I do is eat pork chop and mushrooms, and then I am fine all day. I do actually feel guilty that it is so simple for me, gives me such great results in so many ways.
I feel as though I strayed from the usual pathways, found a crevice in a rock and walked into Shangri-la, but the chalk markings I made are being rubbed out so no one can follow.....

I am instructed not to answer such questions which might seem strange to some people - it might be obvious that if the BG level is over 14 but insulin is a set dose then a lower carb food would possibly be sensible - but I could not possibly comment.

It doesn’t seem strange to me. You’ve continually pushed carb reduction inappropriately, and also have no knowledge of insulin. You then continue to do it and drop in digs at the moderators here, with the implication that mods are stopping you sharing secret knowledge that leads to Shangri La 🙄

FYI, my blood sugar could approach 14 after breakfast if I took my insulin at the wrong time. Taking it at the right time means my blood sugar is in the 6s.

I do really feel for someone struggling to eat a couple of weetabix for breakfast and use insulin to deal with it, then spikes into the high teens but would feel hungry eating just one.
What I do is eat pork chop and mushrooms, and then I am fine all day. I do actually feel guilty that it is so simple for me, gives me such great results in so many ways.
I feel as though I strayed from the usual pathways, found a crevice in a rock and walked into Shangri-la, but the chalk markings I made are being rubbed out so no one can follow.....

But to others it's not Shangri-la, it's the place of nightmares.

You've said yourself your diet has messed up the way you eat really badly.
You never feel hungry, you sometimes forget to eat, and when you do you only eat twice a day, and plain pork chops and mushrooms for breakfast?

Where is the love of food, the anticipation of a meal, the satisfaction of eating it, and filling the empty space created by the sensation of hunger.
The variety of different tastes, the joy of preparing the foods before cooking it?

Taking all that away isn't Shangri-la.

You never feel hungry, you sometimes forget to eat, and when you do you only eat twice a day, and plain pork chops and mushrooms for breakfast?

Where is the love of food, the anticipation of a meal, the satisfaction of eating it, and filling the empty space created by the sensation of hunger.
The variety of different tastes, the joy of preparing the foods before cooking it?

For 50 years when pushed to eat the wrong things which did not suit me I have to say I suffered from deep emotional distress from all the browbeating from HCPs who mocked my efforts, called me a liar, greedy - they loved the word gorging - delusional was also used.
I'm afraid that you have imagined something far from the truth - I don't need to eat so I don't - two meals a day is perfectly adequate, as a supertaster plain food is what I enjoy - I had to turn down the offer of a meal of chili yesterday as I can't cope with the intensity of the flavour - but the salmon and salad alternative was delicious.
I am never hungry, never fixated on food - but I do not love it and it has never loved me - however I am perfectly content. It is bliss, I assure you.
I would need to fast for at least 24 hours to feel hungry - food has no great hold over me.
Having known people who were totally fixated on eating for every waking moment, I can only pity them and feel glad for my own situation now.

The nightmare of great blood glucose control.
You never feel hungry, you sometimes forget to eat, and when you do you only eat twice a day,
I eat as required, once or twice a day.
and plain pork chops and mushrooms for breakfast?
Protein for breakfast: bacon and eggs, or omelette, or tasty chops.
Usually when out shopping, then preparing the meal, and finally eating it.
The rich and tasty cooked chops vs shreaded wheat or porridge?
It works. The proof is in the pudding, as they say.

If your thing works, then good: and if it doesn't, then bad.

@Drummer and @Benny G neither of your latest posts are going to help someone who is confused and trying to get help in adjusting their insulin doses and timings. Can I suggest you take this elsewhere. @Purls of Wisdom has already said she is happy with the two weetabix for breakfast and honestly the last thing she needs is you both adding confusion to things.

@Drummer and @Benny G neither of your latest posts are going to help someone who is confused and trying to get help in adjusting their insulin doses and timings. Can I suggest you take this elsewhere. @Purls of Wisdom has already said she is happy with the two weetabix for breakfast and honestly the last thing she needs is you both adding confusion to things.
The original post I was responding to is from a poster called traveller. As can easily be seen quoted above.

I am confused by your post.
But I am not suprised

neither of your latest posts are going to help someone who is confused and trying to get help in adjusting their insulin doses and timings

My previous post was directed at the original poster of the thread. (Included below)
Three hours after injection, Novorapid, is at a low ebb. The 10:45 reading of 11.8 is the one where you might decide if a correction is required. It's difficult to judge as your meal is late in the evening, and there might not be enough time to clear the correction before you go to bed. It's risky to go to bed after injecting a correction, just in case it works too well and causes sleep hypo.

@Lucyr, please spend a few moments reading through the previous posts in the thread before posting comments.

@Lucyr, please spend a few moments reading through the previous posts in the thread before posting comments.
This comment is more applicable to you than to me since the last few pages of this thread (of which I’ve read every post, unlike you who doesn’t seem to realise this) have been various posters trying to help Purls with difficulties adjusting insulin doses.

Totally agree with thread title no matter what type of diabetes you have.

Happen to love food so enjoy 3 good meals every day, starting with breakfast which never miss apart from annual blood tests. Don't wait till hungry, that's like waiting for thirst to kick in before drinking, with thirst your already dehydrated.

Body needs nutrition & good balance of all micros for good physical & mental health, No way could I get that from one meal so own way works just fine.

Do feel sorry those who have poor relationship with food as its one of life's pleasures, we see so much of it in media & Internet forums such as this, heart goes out to those people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back