FIASP in Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually take mine out 20 or 30 mins before, depending on the ambient temperature. I’m pretty sure that’s what I was told to do when I first started pumping (in order to avoid bubbles, as @helli mentions) but it was a long time ago now :D

Is that particular to vials of Fiasp because I have never noticed it with pen cartridges and I usually use those straight from the fridge. I appreciate that ensuring there are no bubbles in your pump reservoir may be more important than with MDI although I am not sure why.

No, all the insulins I’ve used in my pump have the potential to micro-bubble.

Oops! Didn’t answer why it was important! I think it’s because bubbles mess up the measuring. People on MDI always have slow-acting insulin that can mop up issues like that, but pumpers don’t so it’s more important to be precise/careful.

I find my insulin is full of bubbles if I try to fill my pump with a vial straight from the fridge which is why it is a no no.
That's why it's recommended to take it out 20 mins before use as that's all the time needed to bring it up to room temp.

Is that particular to vials of Fiasp because I have never noticed it with pen cartridges and I usually use those straight from the fridge.

No it seems to be more connected to pump reservoirs.

Gas is less soluble in warmer liquids, so weirdly if you have cold liquid which is non-bubbly and put into a sealed container, gasses will be forced out of it as it warms to room temp.

With a pen you can expel those by your air shots with a few flicks, but in a pump reservoir the risk is that a bubble in the reservoir finds its way into the tubing, and then gets delivered as if it were insulin. Particularly tricksy if it’s basal. Could be several hours-worth!

So filling a reservoir with insulin at room temp is a wise move.

Some times I whack a fridge vial under my arm for 5-10 minutes if my ‘in use’ ambient temp vial isn’t quite full enough.

NR seems stable enough to keep the in-use vial out of the fridge. Lasts at least 28 days and I mark the date when it came out of the fridge on the box.

I think that in general there is a likelihood of more bubbles when moving insulin from a cold vial to fill a reservoir.
I just keep a vial out once started and I will use it up before the 28 days are up, which is the recommendation for novorapid once out of a fridge.

I find my insulin is full of bubbles if I try to fill my pump with a vial straight from the fridge which is why it is a no no.
You could keep it in the fridge and take it out the night before a pump change but I found that too much of a faff.
You could keep it in a Frio bag.
Or just keep it out if direct sunlight and away from radiators.
The Frio bag seems like a good option.

I have found that some vials just get really bubbly at the end. And if it’s like that I just use a new vial.
I also find I must rotate my sites and give each location time to heal otherwise I get a sore infusion site, and I’ve had a lumpy one.
I liked the slower setting idea, will use that if I notice it again.

I’d never go back to novorapid the improvement was very noticeable and now with the pump it’s life changing

I have found that some vials just get really bubbly at the end. And if it’s like that I just use a new vial.
I also find I must rotate my sites and give each location time to heal otherwise I get a sore infusion site, and I’ve had a lumpy one.
I liked the slower setting idea, will use that if I notice it again.

I’d never go back to novorapid the improvement was very noticeable and now with the pump it’s life changing
Thanks for the response. My DSN and I have decided to go back to Novorapid for now. I was getting so many sore sites and was finding it was taking forever to correct higher on the Fiasp. We are trying Novorapid for now to see. So far, I have found that it corrects highs much more efficiently. My problem is injecting some time before meals and the fact that I feel I will probably need more of the insulin to meet my needs. Again, this is just to try it before I head into the world of looping.

Thanks for the response. My DSN and I have decided to go back to Novorapid for now. I was getting so many sore sites and was finding it was taking forever to correct higher on the Fiasp. We are trying Novorapid for now to see. So far, I have found that it corrects highs much more efficiently. My problem is injecting some time before meals and the fact that I feel I will probably need more of the insulin to meet my needs. Again, this is just to try it before I head into the world of looping.
We are all different, sounds like it’s going better for you.
I found lantus painful sometimes so I was glad to be off that.
Hope it keeps behaving

We are all different, sounds like it’s going better for you.
I found lantus painful sometimes so I was glad to be off that.
Hope it keeps behaving
I’m hoping so. I haven’t totally ruled out using Fiasp again. I think for my own peace of mind I want to try both and see what one works for me. There are clear pros and cons for both already, so it’ll be interesting.

Just another update on my Fiasp v Novo Rapid situation. After about two weeks on Novorapid, I have decided to use it exclusively for my pump. It has worked so much better for me. I find the insulin is more effective in correcting highs and more consistent in controlling my blood sugars overall. With Fiasp I found it was like injecting water at times. Also, my infusion sights are great. With Fiasp I was getting sore and red infusion sights, with Novorapid I keep my canola in for up to 6 days and I am having no problems. The only con is I inject about 10 minutes before each meal. I can live with that especially when I read of others who give insulin up to 45 minutes before. Overall very happy. I go to Diabetic clinic on 4 August, and this is my first appointment since going on to the pump in May. After I attend this appointment I will give a little insight into my 18 year history living with Type 1, and how this pump thus far has changed my life for the better. Also, officially going on the loop tomorrow. Can't wait. Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back