FIASK makes my blood glucose go up before I eat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wish he would eat/swallow his wormer with as much gusto.
so what you are saying is stick the wormer in the soap? 😉 :rofl:

Also finding fiasp is a pain to get there with. I swear my body just wants to be sitting at 12-14 and keeps fighting back against it though. I did find on the few occasions I dropped to the single digits, fiasp was working well. I tend to see most effectiveness between 3 and 4 hours at the moment.
One thing to note is I'm still shiny and new to fast acting insulin and still adjusting new basal too.

so what you are saying is stick the wormer in the soap?
Don't tempt me :rofl:
Also finding fiasp is a pain to get there with. I swear my body just wants to be sitting at 12-14 and keeps fighting back against it though. I did find on the few occasions I dropped to the single digits, fiasp was working well. I tend to see most effectiveness between 3 and 4 hours at the moment.
One thing to note is I'm still shiny and new to fast acting insulin and still adjusting new basal too.
Your main problem I suspect is the basal. If you think logically if not enough basal then you are asking Fiasp to do two jobs basal and bolus.

I found right from the word go with Fiasp basal has to be right and also the timing needs to be worked on if blood sugar is above 6 at bolus time. Having a pump it's easier for me as well because I can split my dose by doing an 80% up front and then 20% over a two hour period.

I would absolutely agree about basal dose being correct is much more important with Fiasp because, the way I see it, it's a bit of a wimp and won't take on big BG levels .... or at least it holds it's own but struggles to overcome them...... so you need your basal insulin to keep your levels in range and reasonably stable for Fiasp to work effectively.

• Love
Reactions: gll
it's a bit of a wimp and won't take on big BG levels
shhhh my pen can hear you :rofl:

basal is still a WIP. due another increase tonight 😉

I would absolutely agree about basal dose being correct is much more important with Fiasp because, the way I see it, it's a bit of a wimp and won't take on big BG levels .... or at least it holds it's own but struggles to overcome them...... so you need your basal insulin to keep your levels in range and reasonably stable for Fiasp to work effectively.
I also find any correction made for above 10mmol needs more than the normal correction ratio.

@gll I know exactly what you mean and I used to think that my body was deliberately pushing me up above range and holding me reasonably steady there, quite often in the 8-10 range... I know your levels are a bit higher than that recently... and I hit it with correction after correction and it drops by maybe 1 mmol and then climbs back up again and I still end up at 9 or 10, unless I rage bolus.ie inject a correction which I know is too large because I am so frustrated with it not lowering my BG.... and then I drop like a stone, have to treat a hypo and then end up back at 10 AGAIN, which is all incredibly frustrating! When that happens it is almost always because my basal needs to be just a bit more. I seem to throw units and units of Fiasp at it and get nowhere but if I up my basal by one or two units, it is miraculously fixed and all is right with the world again. I used to battle days and even weeks like this trying to gain control with Fiasp but I have now gained the experience and confidence to just up my Levemir as soon as it happens. I used to worry about my Levemir doses getting higher and higher but once it is right it stabilizes around that dose with 1 or 2 units less for increased exercise/activity etc.

I had 3 distinct phases with this during my honeymoon period and each time I resisted increasing the basal and continued to firefight with Fiasp to little effect and I could have saved myself so much aggravation by just upping the Levemir. Of course you need to be careful if you are on a very long acting basal like Tresiba because increasing it can cause you nocturnal hypos but Levemir is great for coping with this and Lantus should work reasonably well too if you take it at bedtime. Obviously with any basal changes you have to be careful and keep yourself safe through the night, but Libre 2 is great for helping with that.

• Love
Reactions: gll
Hi @Nanette, thank you for sharing what you've been going through I hope your feeling better. Have you been able to contact your diabetic healthcare team about this?

Hello Nanette,
I would suggest you do some basal testing before you blame the Fiasp as injecting fast acting insulin does not make your blood sugars rise.
If you don't know how to do a basal test look in the pump forum as there's a pinned post at the top of the page.

Have to agree, nearly always basal issue, once that's sorted work on bolus dose & timing.

Made switch to fiasp 2 years ago, liked it from start not had any issues using it in pump, doesn't need as long prebolus & find spikes aren't as bad when not leaving enough time before eating. Fiasp like all insulins is less effective when bg is in double figures, found same with novorapid & actrapid before it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back