FIASK makes my blood glucose go up before I eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanette

Relationship to Diabetes
Other Type
8 days ago I was changed from Novorapid to FIASK as it was taking me over an hour to absorb the insulin. Since taking FIASK BG has been all over the place peaks to 14 after meals and tends to come down to 8-10 after about 3 hours. I’m taking a bit more every day and this evening BG was6.3 before my bolus dose after 15 min it was6.8 after 30min 9.2 after 35 min 9.8 and after 45 min it’s come down to 8.3 !!! I’m confused as this was supposed to be fast acting and now I’m too frightened to eat till it comes down further. Has anyone had this problem with FIASK ? I’m also having recent problems with episodes of very low blood pressure - don’t know if it’s linked or not - sorry for long question, feeling very alone with this- no one to ask

I have been using Fiasp for a few years now. When I started, I was a bit like you - I couldn’t seem to control it.
Then I read someone say that the speed of action varies depending upon your BG, suddenly it started to make sense and I really like it now. If my levels are above 10, Fiasp can take forever to start working - at least an hour. It feels as if I am injecting water and then, suddenly, my levels plummet. If my levels are in the 4s, it can start working instantly and I hypo unless I inject after eating. Anything between and it works well for me if I inject just before I eat.
I use it in my pump and the fast acting is great to avoid hypos by suspending my basal when my levels start to fall too low.

Hi.
Sorry to hear you are struggling to get to grips with Fiasp. It took 2 trials for me when I swapped over from NR and 3 months of frustration each time, which was why I gave up the first time and went back to NR. Like you NR was taking over an hour at breakfast time. Fiasp isn't much quicker at 45 mins but I can work that into my routine.

I find I need more Fiasp than I did NR and like @helli, it depends on my BG when I inject as to how quick and effective it is and I learned that I needed to be more confident and generous with the doses and preempt my levels going above 10 with corrections because once my levels get into double figures I might as well be injecting water. I regularly have to stack corrections to bring my levels down which isn't ideal but with Libre you can at least keep a close eye on things and keep yourself safe. I would not stack corrections if I didn't have Libre. Fiasp is however more responsive to exercise than NR for me.

I would doubt very much that the Fiasp is responsible for your levels rising after you inject and I would suggest that is likely a basal issue. Which basal insulin do you use and when do you inject it?

Thank you both - sounds complicated - I’ve only been diagnosed 4 months and was getting on ok with novorapid except for the long wait from bolus dose to eating & the big spikes after eating. Dietician prescribes FIASK, thinking it would help, but must say I’m thinking of just going back to NR, I know it’s only been 8 days but feeling it’s completely out of control & it’s not worth it as it’s taking as long as novorapid to a work & it’s not keeping things steady Good to know that it’s not just me having problems with it & glad you’ve both sorted it and are happy using it. I use Levemir 2 units only at 7am & 7pm - came off the evening dose for a while as was having nighttime hypos & told I was in honeymoon period, but have started taking it again as BG. Is much higher since taking fiasp. Don’t think it was that raising BG tonight as I hadn’t taken the 7pm dose yet. It’s all a bit too confusing for me and I really felt I was getting somewhere before
But thank you - it helps just to know I can come on here and ask questions

Have just checked BG almost 2 hours after eating and it’s now 16.2!!! I hate this !! FIASK is rubbish

I think if you start on Fiasp (By the way it is spelled with a P at the end not a K), you can probably get away with it better but changing from NR to Fiasp is not the straight swap but just a bit faster as you would expect. I spent a very frustrating 3 months the first time I tried it before going back to NR and the only reason I stuck with it the second time was because I promised myself I would give it a full year's trial the second time. I had another 3 months of frustration and erratic BG levels before I eventually cracked it at about 4 months in. I think at this early stage, you might be best going back and persevering with NR. If the spikes are worst on a morning then it might be worth trying a lower carb breakfast like an omelette.... or you can give the NR longer to get going..... I now inject my breakfast bolus before I get out of bed and then potter on getting washed and dressed and make a coffee and read the news and drink my coffee before I eat breakfast and that works out better. Spiking up to mid teens and then crashing back down a few hours later every morning made me feel rubbish but it takes time and experience to find what works for you, be that a change of insulin or a change of routine or a change of breakfast.... Other times of day I only need 15-30 mins unless my levels are already high and then I could need a lot longer but I am now very proactive in keeping my levels below 10. Time and experience have helped me achieve that. I could not have managed it after only a few months.

Yes, it is fine to just swap straight back to NR.
I would be extremely surprised if Fiasp is to blame for that rise. I think it is likely that you are experiencing a stage the honeymoon period ending and a need for more basal.
I found my honeymoon period had 3 clear stages where my basal needs stepped up. The first was about 5 months in and then about a year later and then after I got the first Covid vaccine was what triggered the end of my honeymoon period. I still use the same 1:10 ratio for bolus insulin but my basal doses have increased dramatically.

Not sure I would inject NR when you still have active Fiasp in your system as that is stacking insulin.
Best wait till tomorrow when the Fiasp has cleared your system.

I think if you start on Fiasp (By the way it is spelled with a P at the end not a K), you can probably get away with it better but changing from NR to Fiasp is not the straight swap but just a bit faster as you would expect. I spent a very frustrating 3 months the first time I tried it before going back to NR and the only reason I stuck with it the second time was because I promised myself I would give it a full year's trial the second time. I had another 3 months of frustration and erratic BG levels before I eventually cracked it at about 4 months in. I think at this early stage, you might be best going back and persevering with NR. If the spikes are worst on a morning then it might be worth trying a lower carb breakfast like an omelette.... or you can give the NR longer to get going..... I now inject my breakfast bolus before I get out of bed and then potter on getting washed and dressed and make a coffee and read the news and drink my coffee before I eat breakfast and that works out better. Spiking up to mid teens and then crashing back down a few hours later every morning made me feel rubbish but it takes time and experience to find what works for you, be that a change of insulin or a change of routine or a change of breakfast.... Other times of day I only need 15-30 mins unless my levels are already high and then I could need a lot longer but I am now very proactive in keeping my levels below 10. Time and experience have helped me achieve that. I could not have managed it after only a few months.
Thank you Barbara

Not sure I would inject NR when you still have active Fiasp in your system as that is stacking insulin.
Best wait till tomorrow when the Fiasp has cleared your system.
I’ve just given myself 1 unit or novorapid .

Don't worry. 1 unit is unlikely to cause you any significant hypos, but do keep a close eye on your levels.

8 days ago I was changed from Novorapid to FIASK as it was taking me over an hour to absorb the insulin. Since taking FIASK BG has been all over the place peaks to 14 after meals and tends to come down to 8-10 after about 3 hours. I’m taking a bit more every day and this evening BG was6.3 before my bolus dose after 15 min it was6.8 after 30min 9.2 after 35 min 9.8 and after 45 min it’s come down to 8.3 !!! I’m confused as this was supposed to be fast acting and now I’m too frightened to eat till it comes down further. Has anyone had this problem with FIASK ? I’m also having recent problems with episodes of very low blood pressure - don’t know if it’s linked or not - sorry for long question, feeling very alone with this- no one to ask
Hello Nanette,
I would suggest you do some basal testing before you blame the Fiasp as injecting fast acting insulin does not make your blood sugars rise.
If you don't know how to do a basal test look in the pump forum as there's a pinned post at the top of the page.

Hello Nanette,
I would suggest you do some basal testing before you blame the Fiasp as injecting fast acting insulin does not make your blood sugars rise.
If you don't know how to do a basal test look in the pump forum as there's a pinned post at the top of the page.
Thank you - I’m a bit lost with it all snd trying not to panic. I’ll look at that pinned post

Good morning -Well I’ve survived the night! BG eventually came down to 10.2 in the early hours. 10.9 on wakening. I’ve read carefully what you’ve both said and found it very helpful - this morning I’ve increased my basal dose by 1 unit and taken a bolus of novorapid. I’ll let things settle ( hopefully) and then do a basal test. I’ll phone diabetes nurse today and hopefully she’ll call back for a chat. Why do these things always seem to get worse at weekends when there’s no one to call? I want to thank you both very much - this forum is a real lifeline when you’re alone and starting to panic a wee bit, not sure of what is happening and what you should do. It’s interesting Barbara that you say your covid vaccine triggered an end to the honeymoon period. I am convinced my first covid vaccine triggered all my health problems, although no doctor will agree. One week after my first vax I was in ICU on a respirator with necrotising pancreatitis- was lucky to survive & lost 50% of pancreas. Took me a full year to recover, but didn’t develop diabetes in that time - till 4 months ago - after I caught covid and I believe, like you Barbara, that further damaged my pancreas and triggered the onset of diabetes. It’s a small price to pay for being alive, but challenging to get to grips with. I can’t thank you both enough- you both have many years experience and your advice has been appreciated. Onwards snd upwards x

Hello again Nanette,
pleased to see you have survived the night without to much stress.
It's a thing called sods law that things go wrong at the weekend. There's nearly always someone about on the forum so if worried just post and I'm sure you will have an answer fairly quickly.

A good example of sods law is my very norty puppy who decided it was ok to go into my walk in shower on Friday evening and help himself to a bar of soap, which he proceeded to eat unbeknown to me . Found the evidence in the hallway after sorting out a hypo..
After hours vets................. price I dread to think. Up side his breath smelt lovely.

that made me smile -hope he’s ok though? Some dogs will eat anything won’t they ? Can just imagine you dealing with it while trying to sort out a hypo - life is never dull is it? - especially with diabetes. Hope you have a lovely day - sun is shining here and everything seems better ( central Scotland)

that made me smile -hope he’s ok though? Some dogs will eat anything won’t they ? Can just imagine you dealing with it while trying to sort out a hypo - life is never dull is it? - especially with diabetes. Hope you have a lovely day - sun is shining here and everything seems better ( central Scotland)
It suddenly dawned on me the the little (large 27kg) toad was very quiet so went to check on him to find the shreds of evidence on the floor, so to late to rescue the soap and he is fine thank goodness. I just wish he would eat/swallow his wormer with as much gusto.

I'm pleased to hear you are feeling better as ups and downs can be very unsettling when newly diagnosed, enjoy your day as well 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back