Feeling Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Naturally, having a diabetes diagnosis shakes your world.

I have known I am T2 for 7.5 weeks. I have rather overdone the 'learn a little everyday' and instead threw myself full pelt into research. It is no wonder I exhausted myself with overloaded information, some more accurate than others.

This forum has been a god-send. Positive, supportive and friendly. I read posts for almost a month before signing up as well as using the DUK website/Learning Zone. There are things I have done (low carb eating, exercise, BG monitoring - all levels in 'normal range' 4-7) and things I should have done by now (like telling my friends).

Recently I have felt very down about it all, I do suffer depression and am on anti-deps already, so I am aware of the feelings and thoughts acutely. I was expecting it on some level, I had quite a shocking diagnosis thanks to a secretary who told me the voicemail I had received was about my diabetes and wasn't particularly sympathetic or apologetic when she realised this was news to me. Despite this I seemed to take it all in my stride. I had the usual feeling lost whilst I waited a fortnight to see DN but I sort of felt it should have a bigger negative impact on me that it did. I know that it has been likened to the stages of grief.

In the past week it has been hard to remain positive as I learn that despite doing everything I can right, it might still lead to complications etc.
I am yet to access nutritional advice or psychological support from my Diabetes team, I am due my 2nd HbA1c test in about 5 weeks time and in the mean time have no appointments.

I know it is normal to feel this way, I know it is a marathon not a sprint. I know there is more to learn. But at the moment, I feel I can't cope.

I think that process of information gathering and trying to get on top of lifestyle changes is pretty consuming in the early weeks and you run off adrenaline a lot but it’s not sustainable to do that longer term so a crash or low period is normal. You’re doing all the right things with your doctor etc it just takes time to see everyone you need and a lot of the time it’s about giving you time to make changes so they can see how well your body adjusts. What may help is to talk to family and friends. They will be your day to day support so need keying into the life changes you’re making. It may be worth talking to your GP about whether your AD meds need adjusting for a bit.

Be kind to yourself. Any diagnosis of a chronic condition takes a while to process and fully accept. You’re doing really well.

Hello Neens,
Sorry to hear that you have hit a 'down' patch. You are doing so well, and a real asset to the forum, with all of your helpful postings to others.
I do understand though, it is easy to get into overload and with all of the information which can be conflicting and confusing. It certainly happened to me initially and still does from time to time. There is also that horrible shock of diagnosis which takes time to get over.
Just try to step back a bit and be kind to yourself. You are doing many good things that will get you good results, but it does take time to make these changes and it to adjust.
Taking the time to talk to empathetic family and friends may help a good deal, and you have enough knowledge to talk them through it well, a support team around is a big help.
Can you give your self some sort of personal non-food treat?- Something relaxing maybe. Just walking sometimes helps, and also try to make sure you are getting enough sleep. Is Mindfulness something that appeals to you? I find it helps. if you haven't previously looked at it just call it up on google there is plenty of info.
Do keep posting and let us know how its going, there are plenty of us here that want to help.

I have known I am T2 for 7.5 weeks. I have rather overdone the 'learn a little everyday' and instead threw myself full pelt into research. It is no wonder I exhausted myself with overloaded information, some more accurate than others.

This forum has been a god-send. Positive, supportive and friendly. I read posts for almost a month before signing up as well as using the DUK website/Learning Zone. There are things I have done (low carb eating, exercise, BG monitoring - all levels in 'normal range' 4-7) and things I should have done by now (like telling my friends).

Recently I have felt very down about it all, I do suffer depression and am on anti-deps already, so I am aware of the feelings and thoughts acutely. I was expecting it on some level, I had quite a shocking diagnosis thanks to a secretary who told me the voicemail I had received was about my diabetes and wasn't particularly sympathetic or apologetic when she realised this was news to me. Despite this I seemed to take it all in my stride. I had the usual feeling lost whilst I waited a fortnight to see DN but I sort of felt it should have a bigger negative impact on me that it did. I know that it has been likened to the stages of grief.

In the past week it has been hard to remain positive as I learn that despite doing everything I can right, it might still lead to complications etc.
I am yet to access nutritional advice or psychological support from my Diabetes team, I am due my 2nd HbA1c test in about 5 weeks time and in the mean time have no appointments.

I know it is normal to feel this way, I know it is a marathon not a sprint. I know there is more to learn. But at the moment, I feel I can't cope.

Hello,

good to read and to know that you are expressing yourself more and telling others the way you feel.
I am not surprised to read your comment, it happened to me the same 6 years ago.
I am a personal trainer & nutritionist, i have been fit and healthy all my life living actively about 12 hours a day and still got the shock of my life 6 years ago when my Dr told me that I have T2 diabetes, what? me? very fit person i measure what eat all the time...well yes anyone can have this, i was 86 kg back then till i dropped to 68kg when i started my medications, couldn't see properly for 3 months was wearing contacts all the time till i managed my daily BG, spent good 4 years treating myself for T2 till last year things changed completely when i lost control over everything, my BG started to rise slowly every day, i suffered the entire year with my Dr trying to find out what went wrong, till NOV last year when i changed my Dr, i got another shock that i am not T2 i am lada 1.5.
So i had to start again from nowhere, changed my medications now and currently on insulin and happy to see that things are getting better and better, I wish i knew earlier that I am 1.5, i feel that i spent 5 years on the wrong medications.
You need to educate yourself about diabetes, food, what to eat and when to eat and think positive all the time, as now i take my diabetes as a friend whom i have to live with all my life.
do some research, look for videos it will for sure help.

I am sharing a link below for a great Dr, Dr. Jason Fung, MD,
watch all his videos and many more
hope it will help

It may feel like you’re not coping but you are. You’re making changes and you’re learning. Those are positive steps.

LADA often initially presents as T2 and initially responds to T2 drugs and treatment, so don't beat yourself up griping about that - in any case that was yesterday so nobody can change it anyway, can they? And of course - more and more GPs and other medical staff are far more knowledgeable about LADA than ever before - and if they didn't know cos nobody had told them before, well how the hell could they have changed it for you?

Important thing is - you are all older and wiser now! So travel onward, successfully.

Thank you @Thebearcametoo. It certainly has been time consuming and because work is slow at the moment I have had almost too much time to get lost in looking into it. An hour with Dr Google became 3... it was adrenaline - you're right and the come down from that is always a low. I saw my GP at the start of this month re. the AD meds but obviously at the time was seemingly coping with the diagnosis. Or felt I was. I have worked hard reducing the meds and this year was put back up to daily amount so in a way it was adjusted. I think he knew this day would come and I have enough in the tank to be okay.
Thanks for your kindness.

@Toucan thanks for your reply. Shock takes time I guess and manifests differently for all of us. I was lucky not to have it straight off the bat - that would have ruined Christmas! And now it is here I will wade through it and deal with it. It will pass, it is a patch - you are right.
I will start to build my support team I have a friend T2 who has been amazing, but has the burden of knowing our other shared friends still don't know. I need to spread the news. Then a support team will be a given. The magazine with the DUK/NHS pack has been loaned out to relatives who in turn have been a great support, I guess I was just in that place where I was muddling on through instead of leaning and today I just thought I needed to reach out a little.

Personal non-food treats are the way forward - I use them for everything else in my life - just hadn't thought of this change in lifestyle as goal setting territory - will adjust my mindset on that one. Yes Kay, Mindfulness is something I have a grounding in but have not given time to for a while so that is something good to focus on and I know that will make me feel better. Perhaps I should start the day (or at least the non-working days) with meditation rather than BG test. That way even if the levels are high I will be in a place of acceptance. To be fair the levels are not making me anxious or concerned. The actual finger pricking has been a nightmare to overcome and sometimes still takes several attempts to get blood but the food intake all seems to keep it in range and even the foods I have highlighted as spiking it haven't raised it over 2 levels.

Thanks for the continual support.

Thanks @billyblue for sharing your story and the video of Dr Jason Fung - I have seen his book and from you posting this video I have looked up some of his other videos too. I am not sure I could attempt his idea I can watch the video and take on board the information. All good knowledge is an asset. I am watching in it bitesize chunks.
Think positive all the time - I will try my best - I know a positive outlook will help the situation. Also I am aware I have been an emotional eater all my life! Fortunately I spent the past couple of months eating through the food stocks so it has pretty much all been replaced - the worst I can do is over indulge on nuts! Which I don't plan to do! I have been fighting the reaching for food to fill the emotional hole response some days though. Fortunately common sense always won! Or I grabbed a handful of seeds!

I am sorry to hear of the incorrect diabetes, from reading the forum this happens more than you would imagine it would. The important thing is they now know what type of Diabetes you are tackling although I understand your frustration.

Thank you.

Thanks @ColinUK this is true - I have made changes, learnt many medical/scientific facts and everything has been positive, the weight is dropping and my BG levels have come down.

Hi Neens
I think acceptance comes in waves, and sadly some of those waves make us feel like we might drown in them. It took me a good 2 years to fully accept it if I think about it, but the first three months were the worst in terms of feeling overwhelmed by it all. The complications are scary undoubtedly but you can only do your best, and sometimes our best is a compromise. Try and take it a bit slower, be kind to yourself and build your arsenal of knowledge and strategies steadily. I found taking specific things in chunks really helpful, a bit like a goals list, so I could see progress happening but at the same time it wasn’t too overwhelming. That was also the perfect excuse for a nice notebook which perked me up no end. It also makes it easier to see which strategies work if you’re taking one at a time. Project diabetes if you will 🙂. Anyway I hope you find a strategy that works for you and start to feel a bit better soon.

Ah @Neens!

I’m so sorry you are having a down time. It is perfectly natural, and you shouldn’t give yourself a hard time for having the occasional wobble (I still have them occasionally 30-odd years in!).

You have done amazingly well in the weeks since diagnosis, you’ve responded really well to challenges like eye screening, and you’ve been a great encouragement to others here.

I know from recent experience the hollow experience of being all smiley on the outside when you feel cold and empty inside, so never feel you have to be anything else than yourself here. But having said that, sometimes a smile that begins as a bit ‘put on’ can become a genuine one.

People often liken a diagnosis with a long term condition to a form of grieving, and those stages and phases of grief can come washing over you in every bit as unruly and invasive way as any other grieving.

You have lots of folks here alongside you, and we will support you and encourage you as you take each small step along the way. And don’t worry about complication risk... while there are no guarantees, you absolutely stack the cards in your favour by trying your best to manage your BG just as you have been doing.

Would going to diabetes support group help? Meeting others & seeing HCP specials give talks.

I'm sorry you're finding things so difficult.

Hi @Neens sorry you’re feeling down, but you are not alone, my son diagnosed shortly before you and I have to admit I was very stressed out by it and also spent hours researching online and tried to make sense if it all so I could help him. It becomes all consuming at times so important to try and switch off sometimes , I like watching films, yoga, or going for a walk but work full time so have to try and squeeze it in at weekends, sending virtual hug from James and I x

Hi Neens
Sorry you are feeling low.
Just go easy on yourself, you don't have to get everything right nor be all consuming in the learning zone.
Give yourself some time off mentally and learning and just relax a bit, pamper yourself, treatment yourself, have lunch with friends or meet for coffee. All is not lost, its just an adjustment in lifestyle and I am sure further down the line you will be managing things ok and feeling more confident about things generally.

Have a mental holiday, just do things that you enjoy doing.
xx

Thanks for the advice @KookyCat, I love a good notebook - so project diabetes sounds fun. 🙂

Thanks @everydayupsanddowns believe me I know what it is to be smiles on the outside, I wasn't doing that - the diagnosis just hadn't hit the sides and I buried myself in research before it got a chance to! 😉 But now, yes it feels different. A wobble. They happen. It is a big thing for us to get our heads around.
Thanks for the encouragement and advice.
I have actually taken Jodee's advice - but thought I would check in first - I realise if you post like this and then disappear people may worry.

Would going to diabetes support group help? Meeting others & seeing HCP specials give talks.
Thanks Ralph, I looked into this before I joined the forum. My nearest DUK Support group is a couple of towns away - which is manageable but I am not sure, part of me wants to go and meet other local people with Diabetes and the other part of me is not ready/feeling strong enough yet. I have been booked onto my educational course but because of location choices I am not going until March. A support group is something I will continue to think about. Thank you.

Hi @Neens sorry you’re feeling down, but you are not alone, my son diagnosed shortly before you and I have to admit I was very stressed out by it and also spent hours researching online and tried to make sense if it all so I could help him. It becomes all consuming at times so important to try and switch off sometimes , I like watching films, yoga, or going for a walk but work full time so have to try and squeeze it in at weekends, sending virtual hug from James and I x
Thanks Debbie, I remember you and James joining. I think the hours of research is necessary and certainly feels that is all we can do to begin with. I hope it is going well for James, it is a lot to get your head around and can't be easy caring for someone with all the changes coming into place. I will be back to full time work again soon and hoping by the time that happens I feel better about this. Sure I will. This wave will pass. Thanks for your support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back