Fed up of diabetes

Glad that you’re managing it better by adjusting your background dose, i want to ask, should i increase my morning background dose by a ml or two, cos i find that my blood sugars every week, run slightly above range, the highest I may spike to is 12 and above, but that’s rarely, cos I do bolus correctly and count my carbs carefully, if it was the case of finding that I spike consistently all day,, then I could say, it is a case of having to maybe tweak with my medication abit. Also I don’t know if mild gastro may play a part in it, for these unpredictable spikes. I had the same breakfast, a few days in a row and found that today my blood sugar spiked to 11.2. I had two boiled eggs with two peices of brown wholemeal toast, and a cup of tea with abit of milk, so there was 15.2 grams of carb in each slice of toast, time that by 2 and you would get 30. 4 I divided that by 15, which is my carb ratio, and gave myself 2 units of insulin and waited at least 25 mins, before I ate. Bear in mind also, I was stressed in general, in relation to my diabetes and I have diabetes burnout. Also, when i have a lot of starchy carbs like pasta and potatoes, my blood sugars are fine post grandial, but I can’t explain this one. Could it be that I was anxious and overthinking before I checked? I also had a good reading the other day with this same breakfast, so what do you suggest. Any input would be appreciated
Which background (basal) insulin are you using? Some are more flexible and adjustable than others.
Have you done a basal test to see if your Basal insulin is holding you steady in the absence of food and bolus insulin?

Can you post some photos of typical daily graphs which show the problems you are having.

Breakfast can be the most challenging meal of the day and can need a longer prebolus time than other lunch or evening meal, which might be why you are spiking after breakfast but not after a meal with potatoes or pasta as I am guessing you don't have those foods at breakfast. Pasta, especially with a creamy sauce and pizza can sometimes release their glucose much later so you might not see a spike after an evening meal, but during the night levels will slowly rise and you can end up much higher in the morning and if you wake with levels above 10mmols, they can take much longer to come down and sometimes need more insulin than you would expect.
When do you inject your basal (long acting insulin on a morning? I find injecting it as soon as I wake up is really important to help counteract the flood of glucose that my liver releases as soon as I get out of bed because I generally have a very strong "foot on the floor" response where my levels will rise by about 6mmols in the first hour after getting up before I eat and in fact I also inject 1.5-2 units of fast acting insulin as soon as I wake up to help counteract that Foot on the Floor response.
You may not have that problem, so it would be really helpful if you can share some typical daily CGM graphs to see if we can spot anything obvious. Do bear in mind that we should not make decisions based on a single event which is why I suggest several graphs which show a problem or trend that you feel you want to address.

Stress and poor sleep will both impact your levels and certainly in my case raise levels but we are all different and some people may drop low due to stress. I think most people go higher but you have to figure out how your body responds.

I would also mention just to avoid confusion, that insulin doses are measured in units, not mls but insulin comes in 3ml cartridges/pens with usually 100units per ml. You mention increasing your dose by "a ml or two" which is a massive amount which could very easily be fatal for most people so just wanted to clarify that I would not increase my basal insulin dose by any more than 2units.

Back