Favoured hypo treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they sell small bottles of juice with screw-top lids in the UK? I get 330mL bottles easily here in Germany and they make using juice as a low treatment much easier, especially when away from home.
It seems they do. (I hadn't noticed.)

(The one I'm looking at (orange juice, 4x250ml) has rather odd nutritional information: they give it for 100ml and for 150ml. I'd expect them to give it for 100ml and 250ml. Though I guess you get 250ml by adding the numbers they give together so it's perhaps not crazy.)

Yes, same :D My bag usually has something half-eaten in it and my pockets have squashed sweets too.
Haha, me too!!! I find so much smashed and old, stale snacks and candies melted! Someone needs to come up with individual servings sizes of diabetic snacks (15 carbs) that aren't the tablets! :D

they give it for 100ml and for 150ml. I'd expect them to give it for 100ml and 250ml
250ml is more than the RDA of fruit juice though, the NHS recommends limiting fruit juice to 150ml a day

Haha, me too!!! I find so much smashed and old, stale snacks and candies melted! Someone needs to come up with individual servings sizes of diabetic snacks (15 carbs) that aren't the tablets! :D

I do have a Lakeland snack container that fits around 3 chocolate Hobnobs, but I often fancy particular things so chuck them in my bag, eat some as needed, then they migrate to the bottom of my bag and slowly crumble/melt/turn into a sticky mess.

I thought party packs of sweets (e.g. Skittles or Harribo) were common individual serving sizes of diabetic snacks.

I thought party packs of sweets (e.g. Skittles or Harribo) were common individual serving sizes of diabetic snacks.
I certainly use the 12-15 gms carb bags of Haribos.

I find at seasonal times such as Halloween and Christmas (of course) certain snacks are sold at great prices in bulk. I first stumbled into this at Asda just before Halloween in 2021 and picked up a couple of jumbo packs; then when chatting with my daughter about the bargains that could be had for the birthday bags, which seemed to be universal for her son's school chums, she said she just does some Google searches and finds which supermarket or online source is offering the most competitive price for whatever is needed (or just different to last year!). It seems the kids are quite discerning in these matters!

I find Dextrose tablets work very well for me - there's a lot of different flavours, which can help to introduce a bit of variety sometimes.

Reactions: Kol
I've never particularly liked dextrose tablets and if put in pockets of running stuff very lumpy to sit on! But it's all the detritus left over from things being half eaten. I've just found dog treats and jelly sweets mixed together in the pocket of jacket i haven't worn for a while.
I rarely have any more than 10g of carb.

When I was first diagnosed, back in 1967, I used to carry 5 sugar lumps in a blue plastic container with a sliding lid. It used to accompany me everywhere. It's rattling was actually quite reassuring!
I used to pick up handfuls of the little wrapped sugar cubes one got in France and use those when I was little (alongside OJ.)

I now use Skittles packs, self contained and easy to count, though dextrose tablets are faster acting so I've started using that while riding (especially as I often think I'll make it the last hour home and am no longer hungry/don't want a post-ride spike, and then find I actually can't so need something quick.)

I've never particularly liked dextrose tablets and if put in pockets of running stuff very lumpy to sit on! But it's all the detritus left over from things being half eaten. I've just found dog treats and jelly sweets mixed together in the pocket of jacket i haven't worn for a while.
I rarely have any more than 10g of carb.
I used to use dextrose tablets at school while playing rugby, but the half packs I used to shove in my shorts pockets didn't last very long and were quite painful if they were in the wrong place when you tackled/were tackled. Not sure what else one could do mind you, faffing about trying to open packs of skittles with wet/cold/muddy hands wouldn't be easy better, but at least they'd not hurt!

Not keen on jelly babies, I don't particularly like them and I can eat 5 skittles much faster and they are absorbed faster (IMO/E)

Kendal mint cake again for riding if feeling nauseous (long rides, lots of food) but need carbs.

Dextrose. Small, nicely packaged, choice of flavours and low cost. What more could you want?

Dextrose tablets are mentioned a lot on here but I find them difficult to chew. But there are also Dextrose drinks that are faster and convenient - 18g glucose in 50 ml. I carry these around everywhere.

For those moments where you need a large dose quickly I discovered Licorice Allsorts have masses of glucose in them - I went from 3 to 11 mmol/L in 10 mins after eating three of them - oops!

I kind of crunch them once and let them dissolve @Jasmin2000 I have the Dextro ones as I found the Lift ones harder. I agree the Lift GlucoShots and similar glucose liquid things are good.

Some of the lift flavours are harder than others...orange seem softer, to me, than raspberry

Too much carbohydrate for me. I find 10g as much as I need. Following my other threads. Parkrun today. A fairly slow 26.01 put my BG up from 4.9 at the start to a 10.3 at the finish. I wonder how I will manage next week for the Cambridge half marathon?

I wonder how I will manage next week for the Cambridge half marathon?
We'll be interested to know, please start a thread (as it will then be easier for others to find) and tell us what you get on (BG, food and also time!) 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back