Fasting.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
No , I just want to do my best. At 49 from 108 i am really quite pleased.
However it could easy climb back the other way if i do not try.
So yes i am sticking to low carb but as not on insulin Ill just stick with it.
Thank you.
I have not had to try to keep my HbA1c at the top end of normal. I went down from 91 to 41, and am now at 43 - which I assume is more due to my increasing age than anything sinister.
I was told, a year after the event that my HbA1c was higher at one point but had gone down again. I assume I had some infection for that to happen but it was too late to try to work out what happened by the time I was told/
The low carb way of eating seems to be easy to stick to - having chops and mushrooms with some mashed swede is not exactly a hardship, after all - or beefsteak casserole with stir fry - I am certainly not going to develop longings for pizza or pasta any time soon.
It seems so strange that the way to eat I 'need' to follow is really tasty and all the things considered treats I'd rather avoid.

No, not really true. The liver produces a fair amount of glucose every hour, and some people with T2 can't use their own insulin well enough to keep levels normal, especially if they have insulin resistance that causes the liver to produce it when it doesn't need to. Hence fasting levels are higher than normal.

The body will use glycogen while not eating (Once the glucose from the meal has been processed and levels have returned to normal - glucagon is generated when levels are low and this stimulates the release of glycogen) to keep blood sugars at the steady state, but over time the generation of glucose will be from gluconeogenesis which is glucose made from proteins and fats. In fact, overnight gluconeogenesis rate increases steadily.

There's a constant stream of background glucose when nothing is coming in from food, either via glycogen release or gluconeogenesis.
So are you saying a person shouldn't fast? Fasting is what all the experts like Dr. Fung say to do. You are correct about gluconeogenesis occurring when the stores are depleted, but that is a natural process, and not something to be concerned according to the late Dr. Sarah Hallberg.

So are you saying a person shouldn't fast? Fasting is what all the experts like Dr. Fung say to do. You are correct about gluconeogenesis occurring when the stores are depleted, but that is a natural process, and not something to be concerned according to the late Dr. Sarah Hallberg.

I’m not sure it is right to say “all the experts”?

I just did a quick search for randomised controlled trials that looked at intermittent fasting for a number of outcomes (including body composition, weight loss, glucose management, and cholesterol).

The evidence seems fairly patchy, and not particularly compelling to me - though it does seem to work well for some individuals. Others do just as well with a more general energy restriction, so I don’t think it demonstrates clear superiority?

This systematic review of multiple studies looking at the effects in T2 and obesity concluded

”The majority of the studies demonstrated insignificant differences between intermittent fasting and continuous energy restriction for measures of glycated hemoglobin a1c and body composition.”

Surely it depends what you consider to be fasting, many people will naturally 'fast' as they don't eat between dinner and breakfast which for some people will be 12hours or more anyway.

Surely it depends what you consider to be fasting, many people will naturally 'fast' as they don't eat between dinner and breakfast which for some people will be 12hours or more anyway.
i agree many people can go twelve hours but not for me i get hangry or vomit and shake. So i drink first snd eat at set meal times but try and control the portions. Another that would not work. Yes fasting might help those that graze or need to eat. Each individual differs. First thing of s morning i have higher blood sugar and it comes down as i drink or eat.
lunch tine it will be low go up and come down before tea. if i cannot get through the evening ill have a piece of cheese or nuts.
So i definitely do not fast and i have lost weight.
My blood sugars are not out of diabetes zone but im working on it.
So my advice is do what helps you. If someone says fast n you cannot do it there is always another way.
Try try try and you get there.
If you want to badly enough there is a way.

No , I just want to do my best. At 49 from 108 i am really quite pleased.
However it could easy climb back the other way if i do not try.
So yes i am sticking to low carb but as not on insulin Ill just stick with it.
Thank you.
Oh I am so pleased for you, this is fantastic news!!! :D

No, I never said that at all.

I actually skip lunch quite often, but not because of what someone on YouTube says, because I'm simply not hungry. (I did overdo it with the peanut butter this morning, so probably will skip lunch!)

Who says we should be concerned about gluconeogenesis? It happens overnight while we're sleeping/fasting.

I’m not sure it is right to say “all the experts”?

I just did a quick search for randomised controlled trials that looked at intermittent fasting for a number of outcomes (including body composition, weight loss, glucose management, and cholesterol).

The evidence seems fairly patchy, and not particularly compelling to me - though it does seem to work well for some individuals. Others do just as well with a more general energy restriction, so I don’t think it demonstrates clear superiority?

This systematic review of multiple studies looking at the effects in T2 and obesity concluded

”The majority of the studies demonstrated insignificant differences between intermittent fasting and continuous energy restriction for measures of glycated hemoglobin a1c and body composition.”

I think you'll find that the experts performing the studies you cite aren't "experts like Dr Fung" 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back