Fasting for HbA1c???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm off to see my doctor at the hospital this week, (If I can get there after work on time!) and he wanted me to give blood before, I guess it's for a HbA1c test?

I asked if I need to fast he said he isn't bothered but it would be better if I did.

So I did, I guess I'm lucky the hospital has a good service I only had a half hour wait, so 12 hours fasting was easy enough, so long as I had my tea by 8pm, to make it easier I went to bed earlier!

it turned out it was for the lipids things, so thats why i had to fast. I just took a little less the night before and it all worked out fine in the end 🙂

will find out what the results from the fasting (lipid things) are in a couple of weeks at my next appointment.

But the HbA1c unfortunately seems to have gone up by 0.7 to 8.2, i dont think this is really bad, but its still an increase & any increase isnt good is it!

I do put it down to having to work away from home, living in a hotel during the week for the past 3 months, which did completely change my lifestyle, e.g. eating, exercise, etc.

I know that I didn't fast for my Hba1C. I did ask the nurse if I needed to fast and she told me not too so I didn't!

Hi Faceman,

My understanding is that you don't fast for HbA1c test - you only need to fast for the annual check - i.e. when your cholesterol etc is checked. VBH seems to be saying the same.

Best Wishes - John

will find out what the results from the fasting (lipid things) are in a couple of weeks at my next appointment.

But the HbA1c unfortunately seems to have gone up by 0.7 to 8.2, i dont think this is really bad, but its still an increase & any increase isnt good is it!

I do put it down to having to work away from home, living in a hotel during the week for the past 3 months, which did completely change my lifestyle, e.g. eating, exercise, etc.

As you say Dan, on the face of it it's not great to have any increase, but considering all the factors you speak of I think you've actually done pretty well. I'm sure that my results would increase if I had to cope with so many new variables - not being able to eat from my own kitchen, sleep in my own bed, the additional stress etc. Here's hoping that you are able to get back on track and improve next time around!🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back