• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.
  • Take a look at our new Type 2 Diabetes Remission section on the Diabetes UK website: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes-the-basics/type-2-remission

Fasting - any tips

lordburnside

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi,

Although I am now pre-diabetic after a good blood test result I want to ensure I become non-diabetic and get into the 30sMmol/mol.
I have started drinking wine again and I am walking much less because of the rain or if I am gardening. I havent lost any weight of late because of this and I need to ensure that I dont go back to my old ways! I can cut out the wine weekdays!
I was thinking of trying a 36 hour fast but then I thought that may be a step too far. I am sure I can do it but is it safe?
Then I thought I could miss breakfast say 3 mornings a week and just eat between 12 and 6 on those days.

If anyone has some advice on this I would appreciate it.

Hi,
I also moved to wine instead of beer in my case.
I try to follow a daily 16:8 fast:eat fasting regime usually longer due to work getting in the way, finish eating at 8pm and eat no calories at all for 16hrs. I kinda like it and supports weight control if you can manage hunger pangs if you’re retired, for me being busy at work it’s easier.
The longer fast - I tried once, I’m not sure I’d recommended unless you’re healthy also probably not needed.
Also decent regular exercise that you enjoy to stay committed is important.

Hi,
I also moved to wine instead of beer in my case.
I try to follow a daily 16:8 fast:eat fasting regime usually longer due to work getting in the way, finish eating at 8pm and eat no calories at all for 16hrs. I kinda like it and supports weight control if you can manage hunger pangs if you’re retired, for me being busy at work it’s easier.
The longer fast - I tried once, I’m not sure I’d recommended unless you’re healthy also probably not needed.
Also decent regular exercise that you enjoy to stay committed is important.
I was hoping someone would advise against longer fasts!
I still work and I manage to avoid the 2kg of wine gums we have for staff! My difficulty is fitting my life around intermittent fasting - I like bacon and egg for breakfast but that isnt possible at work. I might just skip breakfast but have berries and yoghurt as a dessert at tea time instead and stick to a 6 hour eating window. I can have bacon and egg for dinner with beans and mushrooms a couple of times.
My next goal is to lose another 12 Lbs and maintain that weight while having a diet I am totally happy with. So I think the wine is weekends only from now and I will skip breakfast next week and see how I manage with that. The walk after tea is a must but I only need maybe 3 miles. For a snack I like a couple of rich tea biscuits but I may take a look at sugar free biscuits as long as they dont taste like sand!

I was never a breakfast person so that’s why I find it easy to do the 16:8, although bad habits crept in and I eaten past 8 which makes it harder to control my BG during the night so I’ve cut that back now. It’s the black coffee morning and night that is a challenge for me.
I also fail to often to keep wine for Friday night so gotta get back to that, especially hard with warm sunny evenings so back to beck blue 0% larger. It’s carby tho.
It’s always a compromise so it’s finding things that you can stick to and tolerate well which I find is the key.
Good luck with the weight loss

I was hoping someone would advise against longer fasts!
I still work and I manage to avoid the 2kg of wine gums we have for staff! My difficulty is fitting my life around intermittent fasting - I like bacon and egg for breakfast but that isnt possible at work. I might just skip breakfast but have berries and yoghurt as a dessert at tea time instead and stick to a 6 hour eating window. I can have bacon and egg for dinner with beans and mushrooms a couple of times.
My next goal is to lose another 12 Lbs and maintain that weight while having a diet I am totally happy with. So I think the wine is weekends only from now and I will skip breakfast next week and see how I manage with that. The walk after tea is a must but I only need maybe 3 miles. For a snack I like a couple of rich tea biscuits but I may take a look at sugar free biscuits as long as they dont taste like sand!
Sugar free biscuits are not low carb and usually contain sweeteners. Try a Kind or Nature Valley protein nut bar (or half of one) about 10g carb per bar, same carbs as 2 rich tea but bigger.

Back