'Fast' treatment for Hyperglycaemia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hit 27 one night after eating a packet of Jacob's salt and balsamic vinegar crackers.... a large sharing packet, except I didn't. 🙄 I stayed up all night drinking water and of course going to the loo and had it down to 22 by morning. This was before I was started on insulin. I was mortified by the idea that I might have to go to hospital purely because I had eaten something I shouldn't and been a glutton. I learned a valuable lesson and have not been tempted to buy them ever since. It is one of the reasons I stick to a low carb diet now, because I just can't be trusted once I start on things like that. Better to leave them in the shop.
What sort of things are you eating to push your levels up so high? I appreciate the steroids will be inflating your readings, which is why being more careful than usual with your diet will be important.

Under normal circumstances, they rise and fall during the day but generally stay within range. However todays has been like:

03.13 - 14.8
07.15 - 12.4
13.41 - 12.4
18.11 - 17.0
22.01 - 14.7

I did add a few more units this morning and this evening injections.

They look fairly evenly elevated @Meady

Might be worth chatting this through with your GP or diabetes nurse, to see if can work out a safe increase to your dose of Humulin I while you are on Steroids? It’s a little tricky, because Humulin I has such a long action - so you’d need to be careful that it wouldn’t push your levels too low at any point in the day or night, but there might be a compromise that nudges things in the right direction a little when the steroids are pushing BGs skywards?

Sorry to hear about your trip to A&E! :(

ok, update this afternoon.

Had a bag a saline which brought it down a little and was then given fast acting insulin. They were aiming for low 14's which by about 02:30, they achieved 12.7 and by the time I got home, 6.7. exhausting night but all good. However, already at 17.5 again.

They were quite good to be fair and will be writing to my GP as they are concerned there isn't a 'plan' as such in place for when steroids are required. I did ask, so what do I do between now and when the steroids are out of my system as I have 2 days left for taking them and they stay in the system for a further 2 days after that. I was advised that during 'normal' hours to get in contact with me GP and 111 out of hours. Not surprising but disappointing. So nothing to actually prevent things going south again except don't eat carbs to which I've had a small amount.

Food wise yesterday, small bowl of branflakes for breakfast, lettuce, cucumber and tomato sandwich with kingsmill 50/50 and wotsits. for tea, frankfurter hot dogs and warburtons hotdog buns.

In terms of food today, this morning, 2 slices of toast kingsmill 50/50 with butter, can't stand marg, lunch, a home made salad (cucumber, lettuce, tomato, red onion, small carrot 2 x hard boiled eggs, celery, red pepper and a splash of mayonnaise) and a blueband. Drink wise, coffee with milk and Robinsons concentrated orange squash.

I know the bread can have an effect, but that amount for me normally, isn't a problem.

I am watching my carb intake using the carbs & Calcs app as this gives you total carbs per item/ meal and, it will also tell you the effect of a food item for diabetes. Probably a little smoke and mirrors but it's useful.

Last edited:
They look fairly evenly elevated @Meady

Might be worth chatting this through with your GP or diabetes nurse, to see if can work out a safe increase to your dose of Humulin I while you are on Steroids? It’s a little tricky, because Humulin I has such a long action - so you’d need to be careful that it wouldn’t push your levels too low at any point in the day or night, but there might be a compromise that nudges things in the right direction a little when the steroids are pushing BGs skywards?

Sorry to hear about your trip to A&E! :(
I will definitely be having a review with them as can't be doing this every time I need to consume steroids. It's already at 17.5 this afternoon since being brought down and I've only had 2 slices of toast and a tomato that I know of that have carbs since last night.

I hit 27 one night after eating a packet of Jacob's salt and balsamic vinegar crackers.... a large sharing packet, except I didn't. 🙄 I stayed up all night drinking water and of course going to the loo and had it down to 22 by morning. This was before I was started on insulin. I was mortified by the idea that I might have to go to hospital purely because I had eaten something I shouldn't and been a glutton. I learned a valuable lesson and have not been tempted to buy them ever since. It is one of the reasons I stick to a low carb diet now, because I just can't be trusted once I start on things like that. Better to leave them in the shop.
What sort of things are you eating to push your levels up so high? I appreciate the steroids will be inflating your readings, which is why being more careful than usual with your diet will be important.
They're nice they are! This is all a learning curve for me as I'd not experienced this before and just watching the numbers go up on an hourly basis on the glucose meter was quite scary.

I do eat carbs, but I track what I eat and in the main, whilst it will increase, nothing to these levels. but things that do put it up, bread, soup, potatoes I think are the main culprits. These don't usually have too much of an effect but, I supposed combined with the steroids, it's a bit naughty. Interestingly enough, the steroids is not the full dose I usually take, reduced from 40mg to 30mg

Hope the review puts a framework in place for the next time you need the steroids @Meady - something a bit like ‘Sick Day Rules’ perhaps?

ok, update this afternoon.

Had a bag a saline which brought it down a little and was then given fast acting insulin. They were aiming for low 14's which by about 02:30, they achieved 12.7 and by the time I got home, 6.7. exhausting night but all good. However, already at 17.5 again.

They were quite good to be fair and will be writing to my GP as they are concerned there isn't a 'plan' as such in place for when steroids are required. I did ask, so what do I do between now and when the steroids are out of my system as I have 2 days left for taking them and they stay in the system for a further 2 days after that. I was advised that during 'normal' hours to get in contact with me GP and 111 out of hours. Not surprising but disappointing. So nothing to actually prevent things going south again except don't eat carbs to which I've had a small amount.

Food wise yesterday, small bowl of branflakes for breakfast, lettuce, cucumber and tomato sandwich with kingsmill 50/50 and wotsits. for tea, frankfurter hot dogs and warburtons hotdog buns.

In terms of food today, this morning, 2 slices of toast kingsmill 50/50 with butter, can't stand marg, lunch, a home made salad (cucumber, lettuce, tomato, red onion, small carrot 2 x hard boiled eggs, celery, red pepper and a splash of mayonnaise) and a blueband. Drink wise, coffee with milk and Robinsons concentrated orange squash.

I know the bread can have an effect, but that amount for me normally, isn't a problem.

I am watching my carb intake using the carbs & Calcs app as this gives you total carbs per item/ meal and, it will also tell you the effect of a food item for diabetes. Probably a little smoke and mirrors but it's useful.
Cereal, bread, wotsits, chocolate biscuit bars, hot dog buns, sandwiches might all be things you can handle normally but they’re clearly not good choices when you’re on steroids.

I appreciate that you are trying to make healthier choices with 50/50 bread and having salad but your comment about butter suggests that perhaps you are following dated NHS advice. Don't feel guilty about your butter, it is very low carb and better for you than marg.... just don't spread it inches thick and have it on lower carb things rather than bread. I always cook my veg with a dollop of butter. It is particularly good with cabbage and kale and spinach, just like cheese goes really well with cauliflower. Cheese is also low in carbs as is mayonnaise and eggs and meat, although I would encourage you to choose less processed options than hot dogs, as they do contain carbs as well.
I have just had high meat content sausages with broccoli and cabbage. I cook my veg in the microwave as it only takes 3 minutes I wash and drain the cabbage well and then a knob of butter on the top, a loose lid and 3 mins later it is ready. Broccoli normally needs 3.5 mins again, washed and drained but no water as there is enough in and on the veg from washing. I serve my broccoli with real sour cream and chive dip from the chilled counter (not the Doritos type stuff in a jar) or you can sprinkle grated cheese over it to give it more flavour. You don't need spuds or bread to make a big plate of filling food, you just have to learn new ways to make low carb meals. My breakfast was creamy Greek style natural yoghurt with defrosted frozen berries, mixed seeds, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

I appreciate that being on insulin, you can normally get away with bread or cereal for breakfast and bread or tatties for tea and maybe the simplest answer is to just ask about increasing your insulin doses, but for me changing my diet to low carb and getting a bit more exercise has improved so many other health issues including no longer needing an inhaler for my asthma, or getting migraines and less joint pain, so there have been very significant benefits and not just for my diabetes management.

Cereal, bread, wotsits, chocolate biscuit bars, hot dog buns, sandwiches might all be things you can handle normally but they’re clearly not good choices when you’re on steroids.
Well, every day is a school day. Not previously had problems like this before but, appreciate that just because it hadn't, doesn't mean it won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back