Fast acting glucose juice shots

SunflowerMama

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Does anyome know if kids can get something other than the lift shots or tablets on prescription? My son is fed up with these and finds the taste especially difficult in the night.

There is hypostop, which I was given on prescription a long time ago , but it is absolutely disgusting.
I am not aware of any other things being available but then I haven’t looked.

I use jelly babies, small bags of skittles, or a carton of juice if I am at home, but none of those are on prescription.

There is hypostop, which I was given on prescription a long time ago , but it is absolutely disgusting.
I am not aware of any other things being available but then I haven’t looked.

I use jelly babies, small bags of skittles, or a carton of juice if I am at home, but none of those are on prescription.
I would suggest things like the sweets (he is 16), but he'd have no self control and would eat the sweets. It needs to look purposeful as a "medication" so he keeps it for its purpose. He is in a lazy patch right now.

Dextro make flavoured gels, along with their Dextro glucose tablets, which I much prefer to Lift. They have different flavours available of those as well, egTropical, Blueberry, Cola, etc.

But basically it’s glucose he needs and yes, it can get a bit sickening if you need a lot but that’s just the way it is. Thinking of it as meds rather than a food choice helps. Coke is good too but too acid for nighttime.

When I find myself getting fed up with my hypo treatment, I realise it is not the treatment I am fed up with but the hypos that need it. And, if I can reduce the hypos, I can reduce the treatment.
Yes, I know it sounds a little too simplistic but for me it is a hint to review my insulin regime and make some tweaks to reduce the hypos.
This could just be giving myself a little more notice by raising my target BG or it may be remembering that I need less insulin after exercise or in hot weather or that it is a while since I checked my CGM against a finger prick (and the CGM is just reading low) or may require a discussion with my DSN.
Whatever it is, for me, I stop getting fed up with hypo treatment when I have done something to reduce the need.

Those little coke cans are ideal, get them in most supermarkets costing £2 for 5.

Kendal Mint Cake works fast, swilled down with sip of water helps the glucose get to work faster.

Back